Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Power Steering Rack Cup Seal

38K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ezra J Bean 
#1 ·
I am replacing the power steering lines on my 2003 EXT LT 4WD 4.2 L. I have read through many of the previous posts on this topic but I still have a question. The new line came with two cup seals but the instructions only mention replacing one. Do both ports have one? Is the second one just an extra? Also, I know I'm supposed to remove the old cup seal but I can't tell whether there are any in the ports. I have attached a picture and was hoping someone could tell by looking at it if there are any seals in the ports. Thanks. Auto part Metal

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I feel your pain. I'm in the middle of a rack replacement because I developed a leak where the line meets the rack. With roughly 180k, I figured I was lucky to get that much time out of the system. The car was my late wife's, so only sentimental value is keeping me from bailing on it.

I just installed a reman unit from AZ and it came with the "cup" seals pre-installed and a little baggy with o-rings and cotter pins. I've been wondering if these o-rings need to be installed on my 03 with original lines. I'm going to throw caution to the wind, and put it together with just the pre-installed seals. There aren't any grooves in the lines for these seals.

From your picture, it looks like the seal on the right is still in there, it's harder to tell with the left one. Get a set of dental picks and work along the edge of the ports and see if you "snag" something.

As I said, I replaced the rack, and the seals came pre-installed. I haven't reattached the lines, as I was hoping I could find some information on the included o-rings. I've just concluded that the kit includes the o-rings to cover situations where the pressure line has been upgraded.

Keep us posted on the outcome, as I'm sure this thread will be helpful to others in the future. Yours is about the clearest picture of the ports/seals I've seen. I don't even want to think about the contortions involved in replacing the seals with the rack still in the car.

#4 · (Edited)
I have started this and spent the last 3 hours trying to get these seals out. Ive tried everything that every post has said they?ve done. Hooks, angle picks, Flat head screwdrivers, lock picks, everything and the outer copper ring or whatever it is will not move. Almost wish I just had not touched and reused them. Extremely frustrating. Im sure Ill end up screwing something up and spending a nice bill.

Edit: The outside copper or whatever it is ring is almost just peeling over on me and not budging. Im not sure what else to do

#13 ·
Doing the same repair. Rock auto sell the little cup seals at about 3 dollars each. I bought 6
I saw a short video how to remove them. 3/8 fine thread bolt screwed into old seal. Use pry bar to pull it out. Put new cup seals on hose ends. Screw in bolt. This will put seals in and properly seal lines. Hope it helps

#5 ·
I finally got them out. I was told by the customer service representative of the company that makes the power steering lines to put a large, course threaded screw into the ports. Pushed it in and gave it a good turn and out they came!
My problem now is I used one new cup seal on the return side and just an o- ring on the high pressure side as described in the instructions of the new line.
What I can't tell is if I punctured the cup seal or not. I tightened the bolt but it doesn't look like the return line is all the way in. Is it even possible to tighten up the bolt all the way so the plate is flush and tight to the rack without the cup seal being broken?

#6 ·
Thank you for that tip. I was thinking of trying that but will now give it a try. I gave in after hours of picking at the seals and nothing on Friday. Been spraying penetrating oil on them since I have a wedding today so tomorrow was going to give it another go. Will give your tip a try.

As to your other question I?m not sure. I as well got the updated line for the pressure line so I?m intrigued what you find out. You?d think it would push through if you have it completely tight

#9 ·
I am replacing the power steering lines on my 2003 EXT LT 4WD 4.2 L. I have read through many of the previous posts on this topic but I still have a question. The new line came with two cup seals but the instructions only mention replacing one. Do both ports have one? Is the second one just an extra? Also, I know I'm supposed to remove the old cup seal but I can't tell whether there are any in the ports. I have attached a picture and was hoping someone could tell by looking at it if there are any seals in the ports. Thanks. View attachment 35473
So I’m still am confused do I need to put in two seals or one seal on the passenger side and a o ring on the driver side pls help this thing is a pain in the butt

#10 ·
Two cup seals - one for each line. NOTE - that is assuming the lines use cup seals. There are 2 different end styles and either will work, but one requires the use of cup seals and the other style uses o-rings. If you go to rockauto.com, you can look up the hoses and see the ends in order to see the difference.

Reactions: loracarter
#12 ·
If I recall correctly, it is a tight fit. When I did mine, I put the cup seals on the lines, then positioned the lines into the steering rack such that the one line which has the bracket sort of locks the other line in place, I put the bolt in place and tightened the bolt first using a regular 1/4 inch drive socket wrench until it was snug and then I used a torque wrench to tighten the bolt to 106 inch pounds (per factory service manual). As I recall, there initially was a small gap between the power steering manifold and the hoses before I used the torque wrench. After torquing the bolt to specification, the gap was gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.