Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, sorry my first post is a question, but I replaced my water pump and fan clutch on an '03 Envoy 4.2L, thanks for the instructions, and the next day my power steering pump is squealing like, in the Hoosier vernacular, a pig. Any advice on this? Coolant sprayed over everything from the bad water pump and I washed it off, but still the squeal. Could it somehow be the belt? I'll replace that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
771 Posts
Did you check to see if the pig is still in there!!! :D Most likely the belt still has coolant on it. Take it off, wash off all the pulleys or clean with Methyl Hydrate, wash the belt out too if it's new, if not, get a new one just to be sure. Let us know what happens, if it goes away you can keep the old one as a spare.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
In addition to that, have you ever changed your power steering fluid?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have changed the PS fluid over time by pumping out the fill reservoir and refilling it with new fluid. I have replaced a couple of quarts this way over the past year. Not the best way but easy.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
Did you replace the belt? If so, was it the right size?

Apparently, even some parts catalogs get the size wrong. The belt for the EXT is 90.5" long and the belt for our standard wheelbase Trailvoys are 91.5" long. If a 90.5" belt is put on the standard wheelbase vehicle, it will result in squealing and eventually lead to premature failure of components such as the power steering pump.

Another poster in here had squealing problems, in spite of changing out a bad power steering pump. I suggested he check his belt length - and sure enough, it was too short.

The correct belt should have 915 in the stock #. The wrong one will have 905 in the stock #. (If you bought it used, it might even be worth checking the belt # anyway even if you didn't replace it.)

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you are looking in the GM parts catalog, ignore the alternator specs. (Standard wheelbase models use 150A alternators for 03/04.) Get the 915 belt for standard wheelbase and 905 belt for extended wheelbase.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
I have changed the PS fluid over time by pumping out the fill reservoir and refilling it with new fluid. I have replaced a couple of quarts this way over the past year. Not the best way but easy.
Not the best way but it does change out the fluid. It may not effectively get all the sludge or any other crap out of the steering box or fluid cooler at the radiator. Would think it would get a fair amount of it if not most of it out.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Not the best way but it does change out the fluid. It may not effectively get all the sludge or any other crap out of the steering box or fluid cooler at the radiator. Would think it would get a fair amount of it if not most of it out.
You can use Seafoam's TRANS-TUNE in the power steering reservoir when you do that method. It'll make it more beneficial.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
159 Posts
You can use Seafoam's TRANS-TUNE in the power steering reservoir when you do that method. It'll make it more beneficial.
Makes more sense to me just to jack the front up, pull the return line off the cooler, temporarily plug the cooler opening and turn the wheels a few time while keeping the reservoir from running empty, pump the old fluid out and reassemble when all is out.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Which method you choose is your option. Some members like to do it the method you mentioned, some just like to what steve did. Both do the same thing, one just takes longer than the other. I've done both methods and found it easier to do steve's method when alone. But with two people, then it'd be reasonable to pull apart the lines and flush it that way.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I replaced the belt and that stopped the noise. The new belt was a little longer than the original one that came off. The coolant must have really messed it up.

Thanks for the help everybody.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
268 Posts
I've got this little hand pump that was originally used to pump gear oil into my rear end. it fits on the top of a quart bottle but I just stuck the tube in my PS reservoir and pumped most of the fluid out then refilled.

I did it on my 03 Chry Voyager because the PS pump was making some noise when you turned kind of sharp. It cleared it right up. i hadnt thought about disconnecting the hose at the cooler. I might try that next time but this seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
56 Posts
Did you replace the belt? If so, was it the right size?

Apparently, even some parts catalogs get the size wrong. The belt for the EXT is 90.5" long and the belt for our standard wheelbase Trailvoys are 91.5" long. If a 90.5" belt is put on the standard wheelbase vehicle, it will result in squealing and eventually lead to premature failure of components such as the power steering pump.

Another poster in here had squealing problems, in spite of changing out a bad power steering pump. I suggested he check his belt length - and sure enough, it was too short.

The correct belt should have 915 in the stock #. The wrong one will have 905 in the stock #. (If you bought it used, it might even be worth checking the belt # anyway even if you didn't replace it.)

Could you clarify if I understand you correctly please?

Std wheelbase is the short Envoy correct? I have a extended version where I can seat 7-8 passengers. My freaking pump just started to squeal and I have the 915 size belt. I need to change the PS fluid since is starting to look nasty. What do you think? Is draining the PS fluid hard/messy or easy. Never done it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Try putting on the correct size belt first and see if that doesn't stop the squealing. You need a 90.5" belt (that ends in a 905 stock number.)

It is possible that a too-long belt caused premature wear on your power steering pump bearings because it 'slops' around on the tensioner a bit. (The tensioner can usually take out SOME slack, but perhaps not that much.) But try the right size first and see what happens.

Let us know.

As for changing the fluid, the best way is to pick up a $5 turkey baster and remove as much as you can. Fill with new fluid. Drive it for a week and then do it again. That should change out about 80% of the old fluid.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
56 Posts
Chicken,

Thanks for clarifying the correct size. It works fine. Anybody need a 915 size belt with 5k miles. Still new. It's free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts