Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an engine whine that follows the engine's rpms, whine gets louder as rpm's rise. I have narrowed it down to the power steering pump after replacing the tensioner pulley and using a log screwdriver against the pump as the fiance reved it up for me to track down the whine. The pump has plenty of fluid, my steering is fine, and no whine when turning. It seems to be the bearing that runs the pulley. Is there a way to replace just the pulley bearing or is it more practical just to change the pump. I really hate to change out a pump that works, but the noise is starting to get to me, unless it is the pump's way of saying it is about to crap out on me. After looking at a compnine drawing, it looks like the bearing is built into the pump, red arrow, but could someone verify this for me. After I swap the pump, do i need to do any bleeding or flushing of the system? I have never had to mess with this system before and any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing. Sounds the same as if it was low of fluid. Even tried vacuum bleeding it, still whining. Ordered a new pump at Rockauto just to be sure I get rid of it and stays away. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
286 Posts
Any way it could be your idler or tensioner pulley???? Their failure is common on TV's......

·
Registered
413 Posts
No, idler is new and tensioner is good. Whine increases in volume when I turn the wheel and increases in frequency with engine speed. And it stopped entirely when it blew the pipes off the rack and pinion when the bolt broke and lost all its fluid. And OP said he replaced his idler too.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
47 Posts
Just fixed the whine in my 08. It was the idler pulley. Pretty easy to replace and only was $20. Thanks all for the info.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar issue in my 02 a few weeks ago. It was the Power Steering Cooler. Nice little leak was causing inevitably causing the system to whine. Replaced the cooler and the whine is gone

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ltz
47 Posts
I think this may help

Hi,
I hope I'm not too late, but I just went through the same issue with my TB. I replaced the tensioner pulley, but I was still getting a loud screaching/wining noise that almost assured me that is was the PS pump. I used a dowel and though that was it for sure.

Needless to say, after hours of removing and replacing the pump, it only got worse. Turns out it was the belt making that horrible screeching noise. Hard to believe, but once replacing my issue was fixed.

Replace the belt first, and don't make the mistake of taking the fan apart because you forgot how it goes back on :)

***To TEST, spray some WD-40 on the belt and see if it changes.

~ I also have a very minor sqeek at idle when cold that goes away. That was the idler pulley.

Good luck,
~James

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ltz
47 Posts
In regards to the PS pump...

If it is the pump, then the new pump will not come with the pulley. The pulley must be removed using a pulley removal kit (which I rented from Advance) and re-installed onto the new pump with a pulley install kit. A new pulley sold separately is about $40 at my Advance Auto.
~James

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
I just bought a 03 TB and the belt was chewed up on the rear side, had a new belt put on and less than 10 miles later it chewed up that belt, shop said I needed a new tensioner pulley, had that done and then I lost all power steering fluid, shop said I needed new power steering pump, still has whine sound, I hear it but my husband says he doesn't when riding with me. Less than 4 blocks from the shop after power steering pump replaced the service engine soon light came on. Any suggestions? Is this car going to cost me more than what it is worth? Any help is appreciated.:hopeless

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
Hi Kellie,

My Envoy had a narly whine but it was the bearing in the pulley on the air compressor... bought the bearing on ebay and replaced it myself.

As far as your SES code, you need to let us know what the code is in order to help.. and to answer your question, you have a vehicle that's 11 years old so some maintenance is giong to be needed... I have an 03 as well and it looks like we're only about an hour away from each other..lol:)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply....yes I understand that it the vehicle is 11 years old, I expect maintenance...I guess I wasn't expecting to have to drop a few thousand right off the bat, which might be what I am looking at? Thanks for the reply, I just wish I had someone that could do the maintenance cheaper than a shop.:crazy:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
I understand... did you get the SES light scanned to see what the code was? If you replaced the power steering pump they probably used the same pulley so if the bearing is bad it wouldn't fix the issue..

or it could be the bearing in the pulley on your AC compressor...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts