Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm a potential Trailblazer owner and new here. We kinda put the cart before the horse, found a pop up camper that we couldn't pass up but don't have the tow vehicle yet. The camper is a 2005 Viking Legend 2471st witha dry weight of 2358lbs, a GVWR of 3340lbs, electric brakes, and a travel length of 18'.

I'm looking at a 2002 Trailblazer with 128000 miles on it. It has the 4.2 I6. I haven't been able to confirm with the dealership if its 3.42, 3.73 or 4.10 ratio, but for the sake of this post, let's assume it's the 3.42.

The trailer, my family of 4 (2 adults, a 3 year old and a 10 month old), and our gear seem to be within the limitations of the Trailblazer's abilities, but i was just wondering your thoughts? Anyone else out there with a similar set up? Also, this will not be our daily driver, strictly a TV to be used on weekends in the summer. We live in Illinois, so not much in the way of mountains or even hills to deal with.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
300 Posts
I doubt you will have any issues for towing that size / weight. The "basic" limit is around 5000 lbs so you are well under that. Check your tongue... :) at 15% trailer weight, you are probably exceeding the "weight" lift of the hitch so you will likely need a WD hitch to help (of course, the tongue could be as low as 10% which could mean that you don't need one). Since its a pop up, it is unlikely that sway will be an issue although the length (ie. longer / equal to TV) might cause some degree on sway depending on driving conditions.

I have only had very little experience with my travel trailer (20ft / gvwr 5k lbs). There is some posts about what people tow with their vehicles which you will give you more feel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your responses. I picked up a 2002 TB LTZ 4X4 last night with 63000 miles on it. Got a great deal. Gonna add a tranny cooler and brake controller. I'm confident it will do the job. Ready to camp!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Add the tahoe z71 rear shocks and coils. I have a 02 Coleman west lake and the day we picked it up with our 02 trailblazer the truck was on the ground and dident have the power to go up hills. Also the trailer was all over the road. If you add the stiffer springs you will gain weight capability to add more camping goodies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts