Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my aunt has a 03 TrailBlazer EXT. It is a LT, 2WD, I6. It has basic LT equipment plus leather and RES.

It currently has about 137,000 miles on it. Just a couple of weeks ago, something blew in the motor causing a bunch of stuff to fail. Blah, blah, blah, either way, it needs a new motor. We had tried to buy it a couple of months previous to the accident, and she wasn't ready to sell it.

For Christmas, her husband bought her a 2009 Suburban LTZ 4WD. So, there is no need for the TB. I asked her what she was going to do with it, and she said she was getting a new motor put in it, and going to sell it. So, I am naturally the first person in the line to have the option of buying it.

I'm pretty sure it has had all its scheduled maintence at the dealership, except oil changes which they do themselves.

So, if they put a new engine in it, will it be reliable? Or do you think the chassis has had enough, and the engine blowing was just the begging?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to get this EXT, I have liked it since she got it new in 03. I just have a few questions about them...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
337 Posts
You'll enjoy it:) As long as reliable people are replacing the engine I wouldn't worry at all. I've never had any kind of problems w/ the body or frame and I'm pretty sure I've taken my EXT through much more stressful places than most EXTs dare to go. :suicide:

I hope all goes well w/ your TB

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
3,250 Posts
Hey, if you are sure about how well the vehicle has been maintained, and now it's going to have a brand new factory engine put in, I wouldn't have any issue with it.

I have 154k+ on my TB, and it runs as smooth as when it was new. Chassis wise, other than shocks, tires, and sway bar links, it's been trouble free in that respect.

It all comes down to whether YOU think it's a good deal, and if it's what YOU really want.

While it's in the dealer getting the new engine installed, have them service the front & rear diff, flush and change the trans filter, and flush the cooling system & put new Dexcool in....other than that, you should be good to go for a long time, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was about to think this place was dead... :worried:

She was what I would consider "hard" on the engine. Revving to 4.5K before letting it shift, she accelerated hard. The transmission always felt smooth though. I kind of liked the sound of the engine too.

I remember one day we raced another TB and it was exactly the same. White, EXT, I6, lol. Of course EXT's aren't rockets, but it was fun.

I haven't rode in it in about 2.5 years, so I'm not sure what the inside looks like. I'm pretty sure its gray. Leather is most likely worn on the driver side. Back cargo area behind third row is probably banged up because my little cousins are in baseball/softball, hockey, horses, it was always packed full of stuff.

The new engine will be installed by professionals, most likely the local Chevrolet dealership. So, what do you guys think is a far price?

$5,000 with new engine.
-$500 for interior wear/tear
-$500 for maintence. Transmission flush/SprkPlgs/Radiator Flush, etc.
$3,000-3,700 because I'm family and condition of the vehicle?

What do you guys think? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Kelley Blue Book for that TB in "good" condition should go for about $5900. I think the fact that it will have a new engine should offset the other maintenance items.....you would have to do them yourself anyway.

The "family discount"...well, you'll have to haggle w/ her on that yourself.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kelley Blue Book for that TB in "good" condition should go for about $5900. I think the fact that it will have a new engine should offset the other maintenance items.....you would have to do them yourself anyway.

The "family discount"...well, you'll have to haggle w/ her on that yourself.
X2... Thats up to how cool your aunt is:yes: I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Sounds like you plan on taking care of her so as long as that happens to the (maybe soon to be your) TB should be well worth whatever price you have to pay. Seats and little bang ups can be replaced and fixed. The engine/drivetrain is what will need to be focused on. I'd watch how the stealership installs as well. Just cause they're GM Certified doesn't make them better than monkeys w/ wrenches.:weird:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
But the nice thing about a GM dealer doing it with a GM replacement engine is that there will be a warranty on it......you won't get that at the local corner garage. :no:

·
Registered
337 Posts
But the nice thing about a GM dealer doing it with a GM replacement engine is that there will be a warranty on it......you won't get that at the local corner garage. :no:
lol true true... I would most definatly take it to the dealer to get it done- I was just saying not to be surprised if your rear tires fall off when you drive it off the lot. Many people have had bad experiences when going to the stealership. Simple jobs may be redone 3-4 times before its done correctly. With 2 weeks down time each time :eek:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
lol true true... I would most definatly take it to the dealer to get it done- I was just saying not to be surprised if your rear tires fall off when you drive it off the lot. Many people have had bad experiences when going to the stealership. Simple jobs may be redone 3-4 times before its done correctly. With 2 weeks down time each time :eek:
Hey, believe me, there is NO love lost between me and a stealership. But in this case, I think it's the best route to go for something like this.

And people have had bad experiences with the local corner garage too....they may have to re-do things 3-4 times too, and again, there is NO warranty from them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey, believe me, there is NO love lost between me and a stealership. But in this case, I think it's the best route to go for something like this.

And people have had bad experiences with the local corner garage too....they may have to re-do things 3-4 times too, and again, there is NO warranty from them.
^ Agreed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure where she is taking it to get the engine replaced. I didn't ask her...

I am planning on replaceing the two front seats with heated seats. Because I'm sure they don't look just that nice...

One question... What does the Driver Information Center tell you? I have read alot of things but most were for newer models. This is an 03 EXT LT. My sister has a Silverado 2500 HD and it tells you alot of things, but I don't know if some of those things were avilable in 03...

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
While it's in the dealer getting the new engine installed, have them service the front & rear diff, flush and change the trans filter, and flush the cooling system & put new Dexcool in....other than that, you should be good to go for a long time, IMO.
Depending on your experiance; Exept for the trans flush, now would be a good time to get aquainted with your new TB. Use this site to help do these small jobs and save money. As for the DIC, go to the Resources drop down menu, click on OEM Manuals and you can view the owners manual an get all the info. Oh and :tiphat Welcome :tiphat

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't think about that. lol Duh!

I have a Kawasaki Ultra 250X that would be lightweight for the 4.2L. Plus, you just can't fit everyone in my TL Type-S when you wana go out... Would really like a smooth ride too.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Hoping I can get a good deal on it, we're pretty tight so maybe it will work out. If it doesn't, I'll go for a Nissan Murano. Wanted one for forever and they are super-sexy. But I really like the Truck-Hard-Core-Off-Road-Look of the TrailBlazer...

Need to get some new wheels. LT wheels are nice, but I want to view the options. 00-05 Tahoe Z-71 wheels fit?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Didn't think about that. lol Duh!

I have a Kawasaki Ultra 250X that would be lightweight for the 4.2L. Plus, you just can't fit everyone in my TL Type-S when you wana go out... Would really like a smooth ride too.

Thanks guys for all the help!

Hoping I can get a good deal on it, we're pretty tight so maybe it will work out. If it doesn't, I'll go for a Nissan Murano. Wanted one for forever and they are super-sexy. But I really like the Truck-Hard-Core-Off-Road-Look of the TrailBlazer...
Need to get some new wheels. LT wheels are nice, but I want to view the options. 00-05 Tahoe Z-71 wheels fit?

HELL YEA!!!:crazy::drool:iagree::excited:

I LOVE THE TB's... Yet after seeing Roadies Envoy me thinks the Envoys look more rugged now:undecided

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The EXT in question is only 2WD. So, its a little lower to the ground. Will the Z-71 shocks and springs raise it up a little bit? I'm not looking for a major lift, just so it will be the height of 4WD EXT's.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The EXT in question is only 2WD. So, its a little lower to the ground. Will the Z-71 shocks and springs raise it up a little bit? I'm not looking for a major lift, just so it will be the height of 4WD EXT's.
Not too sure. I know Tahoe rear springs will fit. Unsure about anything else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts