Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

what do we do? boot members for not attending meets.

• yes, even if it give's chapters a bad name?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • unsure, but feel something needs to be done?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Today me and Bob went over our Chapter member list to find those who have not made it out to one meet this year as required.

Here are some quick stats:

members - 58
un-attendees - 23
military guys/ very new guys who are exempt - 5

It's a bummer that each and every one of the guys on the cut list promised to make it out, and we might lose a good chunk of our chapter (and one state rep) due to the posing.

What does everyone think about making a new eligibility requirement that states that a new member must have already attended a meet?

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
I have been meaning to do a member audit of my chapter. I think that the requirement for attending 1 meet will be hard to increase the number of members in the chapter. espcially for the larger chapters like the Canada chapters and the International Chapter. I would be infavor of maybe like changing the requirement to must attend a meet within 3 or 6 months or something. but even with that i know i only have 1 meet per year in some areas like my Fl meet for the Fl guys or the fall foliage meet for the Tn/NC people. I think that it would also help if when a member hit the "join chapter" button that it first brought them to the page with the requirements and then if we made that page with like check boxes that they had to click to box to check off each of the requirements before they joined the chapter. I know that I have 18 people pending right now who applied without meeting almost any of the requirements.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5,903 Posts
I've wrestled with the thought about booting chapter members for not attending any meets. the really bad part is (I feel) the chapter's were made for those in it, to get together, to build better friendship's (part of trailvoy but deeper than trailvoy) we all, no matter where we come from or meet. we have a great time, when we get together. some of us know this and would drive hundred's of miles for it. where other's who joined for what? they don't want to drive across town. I haven't decided what to do about those who didn't even try, I have already told those who have joined recently that they can fulfill their meet requirement next year though.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
I've wrested with the thought about booting chapter members for not attending any meets. the really bad part is (I feel) the chapter's were made for those in it, to get together, to build better friendship's (part of trailvoy but deeper than trailvoy) we all, no matter where we come from or meet. we have a great time, when we get together. some of us know this and would drive hundred's of miles for it. where other's who joined for what? they don't want to drive across town. I haven't decided what to do about those who didn't even try, I have already told those who have joined recently that they can fulfill their meet requirement next year though.
Ed, I totally agree with you. I never give a second thought to the drive to Carlisle or Indy or Ohio and hopefully one day i would like to come to Chi-town. The people are what makes this site great and there are the few of us who are divoted to making meets because we know how much fun they really are. :woot: It is sad that we can have a meet in pretty much someone's back yard and they will not come out. I don't want to get people discouraged with the site by not accepting them into the chapter but i also think if we really want those people in the chapter:crazy:

here is a question for maybe you Ed; ok I know that my notifications is always a green color because i have 18 people pending membership into the chapter. for those 18 people will there notifications be green also until I accept them or reject them and also if someone applies to the chapter and is then inactive on the site; when i reject them does it send them any kind of notification that they have been rejected?

edit: lol I just noticed the tags at the bottom "meets or gtfo" lol andrew your tags are just a funny as some of your posts!

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I told our new guys the same thing, that they can wait til next year.

I seen some of the guys post in a meet thread without adding their names to the list, and then post later saying "where are the pics?":dielaugh:

edit: just saw your post Kevin, I try to bring the lolz

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5,903 Posts
this is what I do, I first send this,

Here are the basic requirements

Profile information must be filled in and up to date (Location and vehicle)
Gallery must contain at least 3 pictures
You must have no less then 21 posts to join chapter.
You must attend at least 1 meet, show, or get together (3+ Trilby.com members) a year
You must stay active as a member on the site (5 posts a month)
If you have not been active in at least 6 months you can be removed without warning. Military members are excluded from this ruling.
You may rejoin after 1 month of activity and a show of interest in the chapter or at the discretion of a moderator or chapter president
The moderators or chapter President holds the right to make changes as necessary to keep the chapter running in an efficient manner.

basically
you need 20 or more post, you need 3 or more pictures in your gallery and you agree to attend at least 1 meet this year or next year, then I will accept your joining.
thx, ed

it clearly states what must be done after the (basically part). I wait 1-2 days if they are serious, those are very easy things to do. if they haven't done that by then, I reject them. it may send a bad message but if they are serious some will pm me telling me as soon as that is done, they'll get back to me.

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
this is what I do, I first send this,

Here are the basic requirements

Profile information must be filled in and up to date (Location and vehicle)
Gallery must contain at least 3 pictures
You must have no less then 21 posts to join chapter.
You must attend at least 1 meet, show, or get together (3+ Trilby.com members) a year
You must stay active as a member on the site (5 posts a month)
If you have not been active in at least 6 months you can be removed without warning. Military members are excluded from this ruling.
You may rejoin after 1 month of activity and a show of interest in the chapter or at the discretion of a moderator or chapter president
The moderators or chapter President holds the right to make changes as necessary to keep the chapter running in an efficient manner.

basically
you need 20 or more post, you need 3 or more pictures in your gallery and you agree to attend at least 1 meet this year or next year, then I will accept your joining.
thx, ed

it clearly states what must be done after the (basically part). I wait 1-2 days if they are serious, those are very easy things to do. if they haven't done that by then, I reject them. it may send a bad message but if they are serious some will pm me telling me as soon as that is done, they'll get back to me.
cool Ed; I think i might start using this format for my first PM to new applicants:thumbsup:

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
:iagree:

Been there and tried that......Just like Ed, I have PMd some of the pending members more than 3 times with not even a reply, but on the otherhand I have PMd some and they have replied literally in minutes and have done what was needed. I hate to lose members, but it is what it is.

We have tried and tried to get people involved in meets....I'm kind of stuck on what to do about that. Something Culzero, Tx Big G and I need to work out. But, if I had to count the times I have had 3 TrailVoy's in my driveway it is too big a number to mention, the three of us hang all the time, but then again we're pretty close, but by the same token there are more than 50 TV members in Htown alone, it's just getting them involved.

I'm thinking that starting to cut members due to meet inactivity will kill the chapters....or at least give them bad publicity. Maybe we should put it to a vote somehow.:undecided

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the thing though, what good is a chapter with 50 members if only 20 will make it out to a meet?

I know that all of us have done our best to get people involved. Here in the MAC I had the MD guys complaining that there wasn't anything local, we had meets in southern DE and VA, and not one attended.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
That's the thing though, what good is a chapter with 50 members if only 20 will make it out to a meet?

I know that all of us have done our best to get people involved. Here in the MAC I had the MD guys complaining that there wasn't anything local, we had meets in southern DE and VA, and not one attended.
Thats because Southern DE and VA aren't local to us. I think you MAY want to encourage more mini meets. I mean very local. I know I am not likely to have the time to drive to a meet that is more than an hour away. The Southern DE event was a 3.5 hour drive for me. :no: Media is easy, Carlisle is even easy for me! Anything in VA means I have to drive through DC to get there..... that could take 1 to 6 hours...... and anybody that knows DC like I do knows what I mean. The other locations for us have been in NJ and NY. To get to Jersey I have to drive through Baltimore and through Philly.... not a particularly fun drive. Last time I went to Jersey it took 4 hours to get home.

So anyway, my point is, don't try to shoot for meets that will include all of your members. For MAC, do a NJ/NY meet, an MD meet, a DE meet, and a VA meet. Everyone is invited, but its primary purpose is to get the locals together.:cool:

And make Joe bathe, he is driving away all the good members!!!

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So anyway, my point is, don't try to shoot for meets that will include all of your members. For MAC, do a NJ/NY meet, an MD meet, a DE meet, and a VA meet. Everyone is invited, but its primary purpose is to get the locals together.:cool:
Thanks for the feedback! I tried to tell those 2 (eastern MD) that it would be easier if they would set something up, but they wanted me to set it up in an area that I am unfamiliar with because "nobody would come if they did it".

We sure could use a MD rep who is familiar with the area and drives a cool car.:cool:

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I voted no, it wouldn't be fair to the people who wanted to make it out but didn't have anything local (like the MD guys I mentioned earlier).

But back to the original question, should new members still be allowed in without attending a meet?:undecided

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
I too am vexed by non-participants. I want to have the guys feel welcome and although most want to participate we are lacking members in enough numbers to make the meet situation viable for all. I have to take that into consideration.

The thing that is kinda pissing me off is that my VP (Ricky81), who is still active on the forum, is not good at or maybe lacks motivation to organize a meet. He has a few guys in his area that he could get together if he worked at it. :undecided I believe that the smaller meets are a good choice where geographical challenges take place.

Crap, I have only two members in one remote location. If they tell me that they just got together for coffee or beer .... I am happy.

I know it may be a challenge for the Canadian guys and may not rate high on the

But as an example of a spread out territory to try to co-ordinate

Western Canada is massive and almost 50% the size of the entire US. If you were to ever invade us it may take you a week to find anyone in the West. :excited::crackup::raspberry

Oh and having said all that ...... I think I would let them in if they flew the colors and promoted the site in his area. If he found 2 other locals he can have a meet. The solidarity of membership would be the motivation to seek members. And as said before, I have several guys in remote areas and if they can generate a couple members then that would be a plus.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5,903 Posts
should new members still be allowed in without attending a meet?:undecided
I vote NO, (thats what being a chapter member is about) no sense in them being a chapter member if, they aren't going to come to any meets. now, I do feel any chapter member should be able to travel at least 100 miles (2 hour's, 2 & 1/2 hours) drive to come to a meet, if that hasn't happened (none that close) then yes, they get a pass but this is something we will stress as of next year, no exception's.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
I vote NO, (thats what being a chapter member is about) no sense in them being a chapter member if, they aren't going to come to any meets. now, I do feel any chapter member should be able to travel at least 100 miles (2 hour's, 2 & 1/2 hours) drive to come to a meet, if that hasn't happened (none that close) then yes, they get a pass but this is something we will stress as of next year, no exception's.
100 miles ..... piece of cake!:thumbsup:

Although I must say if a guy tries then that has to be taken into consideration. Also the weight of his forum or chapter contribution should also be carried in the other hand. Sometimes guys are really busy with work. Like I am right now on afternoon shift. :duh::bonk: (I am glad you guys are here :D)

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
5,903 Posts
well thats understandable, this also is a grey area, we need to discuss.

when a members says he is coming but at the last minute pulls out, trying to figure is it a real reason or as our last meet, a member said he was coming but asked for members near him to help with gas, :weird: then it was, he had to take his sister bowling the morning of the meet, I feel it was BS all along

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
well thats understandable, this also is a grey area, we need to discuss.

when a members says he is coming but at the last minute pulls out, trying to figure is it a real reason or as our last meet, a member said he was coming but asked for members near him to help with gas, :weird: then it was, he had to take his sister bowling the morning of the meet, I feel it was BS all along
I am a really straight up kinda guy. I will bleed for someone that gives me the straight answer and the high road. If somebody gives me a line of BS (or rips me off) then they are dead to me. Liars and cons have no place in the Western Canada Chapter and I'm sure would get a quick heavy boot from any other Chapter or from Trailvoy.:tiphat

So those guys with a million excuse should be set free to be given an opportunity to express interest, truthfulness, and commitment on another occasion :D

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
i am wondering how that Ohio meet that sam is doing in may will end up; right now it is reminding me of my ATL 2008 meet thread; i had something like 40-45 names on the list at first ended up with like 12 or 13; which i was still happy with but not the original numbers; i wish that we had more mini meets my Fl guys always try to get something organized but it always falls apart and other then sammy in Tn and myself i have no body in the other states really that interested in meets.

I think that part of the problem when new(ish) members try to organize meets is they ask what everyone else thinks and try to make everyone happy. i have noticed that does not work it is good for 1 or 2 people to choose a location and a date post it up there a couple months before the meet if possible and then the people that really want to come will work it around their schedule:yes:

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
it is good for 1 or 2 people to choose a location and a date post it up there a couple months before the meet if possible and then the people that really want to come will work it around their schedule:yes:
:iagree: This is key to success. Get the core guys to committ then let the others fall into place. They don't have to be monster meets. In fact smaller meets more often allow people that are truly interested to make alternate plans to get to something.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts