Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Trailblazer and just within the past few weeks when I decelerate to a stop there is a pretty bad shake/wobble when I press the brakes. When the wheels are turning slow and I apply steady pressure on the brake pedal I can feel a difference in pressure on the wheel as they turn. Does that mean I need to replace the brakes or the routers or how do you determine between the two? I have done brakes jobs before and I am positive I can probably fix this but need a little knowledge on what to replace. I am hoping someone may know what the problem is and can point me in the right direction. Thanks - Oorah (For any Marines out there)

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
129 Posts
I would check the lug nuts first, as a loose wheel could cause these symptoms. That is the least expensive fix. If it is not a loose wheel, then it is time to check the rotors for warping. The easiest way I know to do this is jack up the front of the truck and remove the wheel. With the wheel off, and the truck in 2 wheel drive, spin the rotor with your hands. If the rotor is warped you will feel it hit the brake pads and then spin freely.

If you find the rotors are warped, I say replace them, as turning them true again also thins them and makes warping easier in the future. Also, replace the brake pads at the same time, as you already have the whole thing apart.

Ct_mike

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Not saying that you don't have other issues, such as a bad wheel bearing hub, or bad tie-rod ends, but I'd replace the rotors and see what happens. You can get the high $$$ models from a vendor or just go to any local auto parts store and pick up a set of regular ones. Cost will run between $35 to $70 depending on the level of parts that you purchase.

When the rotors warp, they do just what you describe above. I'm in process of the same problem, and am going to replace mine tonight.

I'm using NAPA ultra-premium rotors, which are coated for anti-corrosion, run out less than .002", and are made of a good grade of steel for long life and less warping. My cost is about $60 a pop.

Changing them is simple. Remove the front tire. Remove the pads (slide right out of the caliper), remove the caliper (two bolts on the rear, just unscrew -- 13mm wrench -- DON'T remove the brake lines, don't have to!) set the caliper aside. Remove the caliper bracket (two bolts on rear -- 18mm) set aside, pull off the rotor.

To reinstall, press down the caliper to make room for the new rotor (use a c-clamp or special tool for the job -- tool costs under $5, slowly press in caliper piston until it bottoms out) replace the new rotor, re-install the bracket, caliper, insert the pads, spray everything down with brake clean spray (oil or finger prints cause hot spots leading to warped rotors and all that weird action you describe above), and re-install the wheels.

Total time should be under 30 minutes not counting the time it takes to find your tools and jack up the truck.

No adjustment needed -- just press the brake pedal firmly a time or two to re-set the calipers to the proper spot and test them slowly the first time or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ct_mike and glfredrick - Thanks for your time with providing responses. I will take the wheels off this evening when I get home and let y'all know what I find out. Thanks again - Oorah

Side note - Is NAPA better to use then, lets say, Autozone and Pepboys?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
ct_mike and glfredrick - Thanks for your time with providing responses. I will take the wheels off this evening when I get home and let y'all know what I find out. Thanks again - Oorah

I've had better luck with Autozone Duralast rotors then either one of the other two. But everyone's experience is different, and mine is from other vehicles. I haven't replaced the rotors on my TB yet.

But I agree it is most likely warped rotors or bad wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

I've bought a lot of parts from all three companies. I find that NAPA tends to carry a higher line of product overall, but a lot of the parts are the same. All of these auto parts houses, and all the others for that matter, have a house line, a mid-line, and a top grade line. Just check them out. I've bought stuff from Autozone that was the same part as the dealer for half of dealer cost. I've also gotten some parts that were pure imported junk.

In my case, I chose the Napa ultra-premium brake rotors because they are about the best I can find out there without going specialty, and then I'm up in the air about what I might get. Some of those places are just taking import parts and drilling them out. That, and I get a 40% break on prices via NAPA through the fleet I manage for my work. That, for me, makes NAPA a no brainer.

BTW, I installed the new rotors tonight, along with a new set of Bilstien shocks all the way around. Took just one hour with my son and I working to do all four corners. Solved my brake issues... :thumbsup: Smooth as silk, with no humping and bumping, even though I kept the used pads (mine were recently replaced, also NAPA). It stops great now. Shocks are great also, but right now a bit rough riding. If they are like typical shocks, they'll wear in within a week and be nice.

I was really surprised at how far my factory rotors were worn down. They were THIN. About half of the thickness of the new rotors, and they've never been cut. Warping and hot spots were visible with the naked eye.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done

It been busy but thanks to glfredrick, ct_mike, and others for your instruction/input. I replaced both front rotors and brack pads. The problem is resolved and no more wobble! Truck runs and stops smooth as new! Oorah :thx

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Glad we could be of assistance. :yes:

I know I too find lots of assistance here on the board, so I try to give back in the areas where I have some expertise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts