Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First picture is the front drivers side thank god I noticed it today when I did. This must have been going on for sometime now. Kinda ashame because these tires are less then 2 years old. I just orderd 2 front ones from tirerack. I think the struts are blown but would that cause my tires to wear bad ? Second picture is the passanger side. Truck drives down the road straight as can be. No clanking or any noises

·
Registered
634 Posts
Odd tire wear like that is usually from incorrect toe adjustment. Camber or caster don't usually wear a tire out like that, so you should discount the struts... at least the shock absorbers part of them.

The height of the struts under load MIGHT cause wear like that because as you raise or lower the height of the vehicle, your toe changes.

The tie rods constantly wander in and out of adjustment and "bump steer" all the time because they are fixed at length and will not compensate for suspension angularity changes.... IOW: the rack unit being fixed, has no way to compensate for the deflection or extention of the control arms during normal driving.

SOME SIDEWAYS TIRE SCUFFING OCCURS ALL THE TIME. It's unavoidable and is inherent in the design of the vehicle.

As I look at the "feathers" on the tread blocks, I'd say it appears that you have some serious toe in problems going on there.

·
Registered
634 Posts
EDIT .... the slight cupping I see should NOT be confused with typical shot-shock absorber tire-cupping syndrome.

You are wearing into the secondary rubber compound of the tire.... a rubber compound that should NEVER be in contact with the road. It will wear faster and create smooth cups on the contact side of the tread.....that's what that is.

The carcass of a tire will always have slight irregularities in it as to circumferential differences. The tread, when it gets bonded onto the inner carcass, covers those irregularities... which you have now allowed to show because of the severe and unnatural tire wear.

Get Thee to Thine Loçal Tyre Shoppé and get a front end alignment while you're there buying new rubber.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EDIT .... the slight cupping I see should NOT be confused with typical shot-shock absorber tire-cupping syndrome.

You are wearing into the secondary rubber compound of the tire.... a rubber compound that should NEVER be in contact with the road. It will wear faster and create smooth cups on the contact side of the tread.....that's what that is.

The carcass of a tire will always have slight irregularities in it as to circumferential differences. The tread, when it gets bonded onto the inner carcass, covers those irregularities... which you have now allowed to show because of the severe and unnatural tire wear.

Get Thee to Thine Loçal Tyre Shoppé and get a front end alignment while you're there buying new rubber.
Thanks for the info incredible write up. The tires came today I got 2 from Tirerack you cant beat ther prices and thats where I got the original defenders that are on there now. Im dropping it off at the shop tommarow nignt. I dont even remember the last time I had an alignment on it was. Its been a few years I know that. I know my front end is pretty plush. So I would think the front end needs work for shur. The strut bushings on the drivers side are gone

·
Registered
634 Posts
Do you mean that your cotroll arm bushings are bad? That will certainly cause the toe to be off adjustment parameters.

Since there really isn't any way of adjusting for camber or caster (no cam kits nor are cams even IN the front end) it appears the only way to adjust them is by lengthening or shortening the control arms themselves... not a good idea, but I've seen it done on extreme slam-jobs.

Heres a kewl link about building arms for low riders..all the policy is still the same.... it's also a very good video if you watch it all the way... I promise.... LINK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you mean that your cotroll arm bushings are bad? That will certainly cause the toe to be off adjustment parameters.

Since there really isn't any way of adjusting for camber or caster (no cam kits nor are cams even IN the front end) it appears the only way to adjust them is by lengthening or shortening the control arms themselves... not a good idea, but I've seen it done on extreme slam-jobs.

Heres a kewl link about building arms for low riders..all the policy is still the same.... it's also a very good video if you watch it all the way... I promise.... LINK
Well I just went through my paperwork and the friday the tires will be 2 years old. Ive put about 12,000 miles on them since. Looking through my paper work it looks like ive never had an alignment since ive had the truck and I bought it november of 2013. I do see that ive had the ball joints and tie rod ends done a few years ago. They are doing the alignment tommarowill let you know what they say about the front end

·
Registered
634 Posts
What are they charging?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
442 Posts
Yes, these trucks are fully adjustable in their alignments, even with no "cam kits". The adjustments are made at the lower control arm mount brackets.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts