Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else notice a very sluggish throttle response when their TV transfer case is in Low Range? I have an '05 TB 4X4 that's completely stock except for some all-terrain tires (stock size). We take it on family trips to the mtns. out here in Idaho pretty often, and occasionally end up on pretty rough, rocky, steep roads where I feel much better in Low Range.

However, as soon as I put it in Low Range, I feel like I have to FLOOR it to make it go up even a moderate hill. This is the OPPOSITE effect I am used to from older 4X4's I have driven, which seem to "jump" with the slightest crack of the throttle when in Low Range. Are the electronics somehow limiting the throttle position or implementing a ton of "torque management" when in Low Range?

If anyone else has experienced this, is there a simple fix for it? Is it included with an aftermarket PCM tune?

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts on this.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Doesn't sound right. Mine seems to be very responsive in LO.

Have you changed the TC fluid ever? The only thing I can think that would affect 4LO and not 4HI is gumming up of the low planetary gear set in the TC.

Keep in mind, it goes very slow in LO though... 1st gear LO, your max speed is like 10 mph at 5k RPM.

When I'm in LO, I tend to use 2nd for normal trails, and 1st only for steep climbs.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

No, I've never changed the TC fluid. The rig only has about 72k miles on it, and hasn't been abused at all. I've noticed this from the day we bought it at only 15k miles.

Can I just change out the fluid, or does it need some sort of flush?

I know it's slow in Low Range. I'm just used to rigs where Low Range gives the feeling of MORE torque, not LESS. I thought maybe the General was trying to prevent warranty repairs by severely limiting torque in Low Range to prevent breaking other drivetrain parts.

Maybe it's time for new oil in the TC anyway . . .

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
The proper change interval per the manual is 50k for the TC (gotta use the special GM fluid). Some people change it more often.

Mine certainly feels like more torque in LO... sorry yours isn't performing up to par.

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
698 Posts
Mine also feels very torquey in LO. I would have to second the idea of changing TC fluid. I waited until about 110,000mi to do mine and that stuff was FRIED! It's an easy change. I would recommend a hand pump for the top of your quart jug though.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
22 Posts
After having Jeeps for many years that would snap your neck in 4L, I was disappointed when I purchased my 2007 TB. I have the same problem that you are experiencing. I had it back to the dealer several times only to here that it's normal. For that reason, I have come to live with the fact that it's a street machine waiting for snow. Again, it's been like that since it was new.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I threw on the PCMforless tune at around 15K miles and removed torque management. No lag in 4LO now, but I totally forget what it was like before the tune.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
22 Posts
I have had it on a dyno several times and reprogramed the computer several times. I have obtained 301 HP and a gain of 9 FPT and changed the shift points several times to get it where I want it. You wouldn't even feel like it is in 4Low unless you watched the speedo to realize how quickly it is shifting.

I have solved my problem by keeping my 77 scout with modifications for off road. My TB will have to stay like it is. I was just commenting to let the guy know that he was not alone in his agony.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I have Zero lag and Great throttle response in 4-lo but I have the pcmforless tune and the torque management removed. I drove oa TB without a tune recently and you would have thought the parking brake was set at take off. The removal of torque management is worth every penny of the tune. Instant throttle response makes the truck feel far better.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Until the excessive torque breaks something...:x
I was in 4-lo on a hill stuck on a root with the rear tires white smoking on dirt and the front lifting in the air....No need to worry about it not holding up to the extra torque...:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts