Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Trailblazer LTZ with 80,000 miles which is great except for the electronics and the ABS breaks. I can see I am not alone in having problems and can only come ti the conclusion that the system is not reliable for the long term. The dealer told me the solution would start with replacing a $1000 part and the cost would go up from their. I have driven many miles with ABS so I can get along just fine with this feature. My experience is if things like this were not built right at the factory, they become a money pit to fix. How can I disconnect the ABS feature. Also I keep getting a Service Onstar message, How do I disable this so I don't keep getting the anoying message. I am thinking of getting a new GMC Terrian, but these problems are giving me reason to rethink my choice.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
ABS problems are not that common on these trucks. I'm not really sure what they're asking you to replace, but if its the module, send it out for repair. I had mine rebuilt for my sister's old vw for less than 80 dollars.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
32 Posts
Your ABS is a different system from the normal BRAKING system on vehicles. It's not ABS brakes, its an ABS system adapted to the braking system on all vehicles. What is the problem you are experiencing on your vehicle? What part do they claim needs replaced??

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
541 Posts
If a dealer told me to start replacing all parts till they found it, I would walk right back out that door. Especially starting with the most expensive part on down.

I always thought a high end scan tool could query the brake electronics and at least point me in a direction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ABS and electronic problem

The dealer did a scan and told me the unit under the drivers side was not communication with the computer. I also told the dealer of other problems I had such as the spedo going crazy, the memory power seats doing their own thing once in a while, and the windsheild wipers not working right and a couple of time the engine racing when I first started it. I have not had any of these problems for some time, the biggest problem being the ABS system. They said they fixed the wipers, they did not. I had them do a major service, replacing all the fluids, changing belts and hoses,etc. I plan on keeping the truck for at least 150,000 miles. When I got home and checked a few things I found a couple of vac hoses that were not re-connected. I worked my way through college by being a mechanic, these things are not that hard. You can see why I don't trust the Chevy dealer, I am going to the local GMC dealer to see what they can do for me. I have cleaned all the ground connections and replaced the battery. I do not want to spend any more time battling this, that is why I am ready to just disconnect the ABS system. Any ideas on what to do would be welcome. It is a great truck, I just wished everything worked. ( I have had three SUV's before all going beyond 150,000 without major problems. I gave my Toyota 4runner to my son and it went 265,000 miles)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ABS Problems

About 80% of the time the ABS light comes on and I get the message to service the brakes. Otherwise the brakes work fine. The dealer did not give me any paperwork other for the work they did. I asked if the truck was safe to drive as is and they said their was not safety concerns, other than the ABS system did not work all the time.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
About 80% of the time the ABS light comes on and I get the message to service the brakes. Otherwise the brakes work fine. The dealer did not give me any paperwork other for the work they did. I asked if the truck was safe to drive as is and they said their was not safety concerns, other than the ABS system did not work all the time.
When the light (in your case, lights) comes on, a code is stored in the antilock brake module. There are a number of codes that can make that light come on, and without knowing the code (or, even codes), I won't even attempt to give you an answer. My advice for now would be to get the codes read by a shop (doesn't have to be a dealer, but the shop of your choice has to have a tool that can read abs codes) and post them here.

To the best of my knowledge, there's no way to disconnect the abs completely....even if you unplugged the abs module I'm sure if the pcm/bcm/and or cluster were to not get abs messages received there would be a very good chance of the light staying on and you'd be right back where you started.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unreliable ABS Brakes

Thanks, as everything else seems to be ok, I think I will just "live" with the problem. In about a year I will need to replace one of my two vehicles. Buying another GM product will depend on if I have any other problems. It is quite annoying to constantly have the service brakes light on. On the positive side, I am very impressed with the gas milage for this size truck.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
Thanks, as everything else seems to be ok, I think I will just "live" with the problem. In about a year I will need to replace one of my two vehicles. Buying another GM product will depend on if I have any other problems. It is quite annoying to constantly have the service brakes light on. On the positive side, I am very impressed with the gas milage for this size truck.
Could be worse, I had an Avalanche in the shop a couple weeks ago that would conveniently actuate the chime every 30 seconds for the service brake message.:crazy:

If you change your mind, get the codes read, and consult the forum before spending any money on a repair.:tiphat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For all kinds of personal reasons, I have not been on the forum for some time. I want to brag on the local Fort Smith GMC dealer and the help they gave me in fixing my brake issue. The local Chevy dealer was not helpful and started out quoting well over a $1,000 with no guarantee. The GMC dealer found the problem and replaced the ABS Module for half the price. I have about 80,0000 miles on the truck and it runs great, I get 24 mpg on the highway and close to 20 mpg in town. I plan on keeping it to about 150,000. My last 4 SUV went 150,000 with no major problems. The inline 6 cylinder engineer is great.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
691 Posts
The most common reason for this a bad ground near the ABS unit. There is a Ground to the backside of a body mount under the driver area, that connection is either loose or corroded or both.

It's amazing the Dealer doesn't know about this, they issued a TSB for it.

Worth a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts