Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took 2 almost identical trips using my Envoy and my Suburban. The Envoy burned almost 3/4 tank of gas, while my 'Burban only used less than a 1/4 tank!!!! Whats wrong with this picture????? I know tank size and rear end gear play a part here, but that amount of difference is crazy!!!
My 05 Envoy has 4.2 w/4:10 rear, 25 gal tank
My 01 Suburban has 5.3 w/3:73 rear, 32 gal tank
Both trucks should get about the same mileage, but they arent.
What can I do to help out the Envoy??? I am considering getting rid of it, but we DO love her so...:worried:
Help me o-wise members of the forum!!!!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
I just took 2 almost identical trips using my Envoy and my Suburban. The Envoy burned almost 3/4 tank of gas, while my 'Burban only used less than a 1/4 tank!!!! Whats wrong with this picture????? I know tank size and rear end gear play a part here, but that amount of difference is crazy!!!
My 05 Envoy has 4.2 w/4:10 rear, 25 gal tank
My 01 Suburban has 5.3 w/3:73 rear, 32 gal tank
Both trucks should get about the same mileage, but they arent.
What can I do to help out the Envoy??? I am considering getting rid of it, but we DO love her so...:worried:
Help me o-wise members of the forum!!!!
You aren't even comparing apples and oranges.
Saying "less than a 1/4 tank" is basically meaningless. Most of my vehicles will stay on the Full line for quite a while - especially the TB. I can usually go at least 50 or 60 miles before it even starts to move off of full. I've seen other vehicles that will start to move off full in half that time, or even less.
Point is we need to know exactly how many gallons each vehicle burned so we can figure out the exact MPG for each vehicle.

It's not a very well kept secret that the TB/Envoy vehicles don't get that great of MPG. Some claim high freeway mileage, but until I see it with my own eyes I'm always skeptical.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
is your car all stock or do you have any aftermarket parts installed?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Envoy is stock, and runs well otherwise and no engine codes have popped up.
Both vehicles started with full tanks. I did not measure how much fuel was used or miles actually driven as I did not expect to see much of a difference between driving the two vehicles until we got home from the second trip and was able to see how much gas the Envoy sucked up compared to the Suburban.
I just saw 3/4 used for the Envoy and less than 1/4 for the Suburban, I think anyone would be suprised and ask why...
The Envoy is my wife's so I dont drive it on a regular basis...and as I said, I know it doesnt get great mileage, but it should be somewhat comparible to the Suburban in fuel consumption.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
370 Posts
What are the the gas tank sizes. Isn't the TB an 18.1 or something like that. The 'Burb is about 400 gal. (kidding). Can they even be compared?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
also take into consideration your speed...

i would put money on it that yu were cruisin at a higher speed in the envoy than yu were in the burb...higher speed (even with overdrive) will mean higher rpms, which means more gas burned...also payload needs to be taken into account, even if you have the same payload, the burb will have it more evenly dispursed since there is more cargo area causing the engine to stress less and not work as hard...kinda like a 25# dumbell and a 25# bag of mulch...the mulch will seem lighter but is actually the same weight...its all physics (thank you penn state :tiphat )

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
this thread is useless.....
until you do the following.
Fill up both tanks on the vehicle.
reset the trip meter to 0.
Take them on a highway drive and stay at 60-65.
Drive for about 30 miles. turn around- head back home. Gas up the tank and write down the # of gallons it took to refill the tank.

now- take the other vehicle and do the same thing. same speed, same turnaround etc.
then refill tank.
Once you have these very important numbers- we can tell how many MPG's youre getting.....

without this info-- we can only speculate that one is bigger- has a bigger engine, bigger tank, smaller gears etc. etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your Envoy sounds like mine. It has never gotten better than 17 on the highway, (most times 16.1 or 2) and a miserable 13 in town. It has been to the dealer at least 5 times for poor fuel mileage. The PCM was reflashed, there are no codes. The regional manager got involved. He said my mileage was poor because I needed synthetic oil. They drained my fill of Redline with my Mobil 1 filter, and refilled it with Mobil1 5-30 and an AC filter, without calling me first. That guy got an earful when I found out. Fuel mileage was worse on cruise. A drop of 3 mph caused the trans to kickdown, and nearly full throttle is applied to catch up. My flash was modified after the service advisor witnessed it while my wife was driving. That was 3 days in the shop, while some computer guru at GM drew up something. Now it only kicks down if you lose 7 mph. Great solution.. now it labors in OD until it kicks suddenly. Scared the heck out of my wife first time it happened. The dealership has no other answers, and at this point we have given up. To end, I'm convinced there is no cure for the craptastic fuel mileage in an Envoy/ TB. It simply is a result of a poor design during a time when even if it was a less than stellar SUV, it would sell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts