Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any problems with their A/C not working as well when they are stopped and it is pretty hot outside (90 degrees plus)?

My dealer is trying to get out of fixing, but I don't give up that easily.

My friend has an 05 and he just had his fixed for the same problem, he said they fixed some kind of vent that was letting outside air into the truck.

I figure if I go into the dealer and tell them what I want them to check, they'll fix it. Either that or they will just get sick of my persistance and just start replacing stuff till they get it (unlikely).

Anyway, some suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Does the engine seem like it's "idling funny" or about to stall when it's idling with the A/C compressor on? :confused:

Also does this happen all the time? Or just at a 'cold start' idle, or idling at temp?

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine sounds fine, this only seems to happen when its really hot outside, if I stop at a light, or when I start the engine, even if its already up to operating temp.... Once I step on the gas, its gets cool. The dealer says they did a A/C and heating test on the truck and found no problems. I couldn't get it to do it at the dealer because it was early morning.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
I've been having this problem lately too. I went to lunch the other day and when I got back in the car I was at a red light and it would not cool down until I started moving. No funny idle, I put it in neutral and pressed on the gas and that didnt' seem to help, although I didnt' do it for long.

·
Registered
2004 chevy
1,036 Posts
That has done it to me in every car I have owned. If I am at a stop AC sucks, no circulation, and the compressor is not running that much, go and it acts normal. I thought this was normal for any AC :confused: I am pretty sure in order for a vehicle to cool down it has to be moving to get the hot air circulating from the engine bay. If you switch the AC to recirculate after it is cool, it should help when sitting still since no outside air in trying to be sucked in.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,786 Posts
I'm having this same exact situation. However, haven't bothered me too much as by the time I turn on the ac and its cooled down I'm home from work (live 5mins away) so I just don't bother with it and drive with the windows down. First noticed it when the temp was around 90+ last monday and was sitting in stop and go traffic when I had to go somewhere after work. I thought my AC cramped out. After I got out of traffic, AC worked it way it should and cooled the TB nice and quick... anyone have a solution to have the AC cooling down quick when you are idling?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,311 Posts
I dont think there is anything wrong with it.. i think thats that ways the system is made.. i have the same problem when im idle.but when im on the move it cools good, i did have to have the cycling switch replace when i first got it, but that was a problem they knew about.....

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
I haven't noticed anything like that personally, but then again it hasn't really been hot enough here for it to matter -- I've been able to either drive with the windows down or with just the fan (no compressor going) and be fine.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MoJoe said:
Like I said, it all sounds normal to me. I could understand if it did not work at all.
I respect your opinion, and I would agree, but I would think that as long as that compressor is pushing the freon through the system, and the fan is pushing the air, it should be cool if the vehicle is moving or not. None of my other vehicles that I have had, nor my friend's EXT had this problem (after the dealer fixed some vent or something).

·
Registered
2004 chevy
1,036 Posts
Jman423 said:
I respect your opinion, and I would agree, but I would think that as long as that compressor is pushing the freon through the system, and the fan is pushing the air, it should be cool if the vehicle is moving or not. None of my other vehicles that I have had, nor my friend's EXT had this problem (after the dealer fixed some vent or something).
Do you have it on recirt, or on fresh air? If it is fresh air, then it would have to have moving air coming in to cool to some extent. I agree with you that all AC's should cool when moving or sitting still. Something that logically should happen when the AC unit is on and the fan is pushing air in through the vents. I wish mine would cool if I was sitting still or moving. I do know that if I leave my TB sitting at idle with the AC on, it is cool air coming out, just not as cool as when I am moving. If you find it is something that needs to be fixed by GM, let us know. I wish mine did blow that same both ways.
:(

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Jman423 said:
pushing the freon through the system,
Freon? I sure hope my truck doesn't have Freon in it!! ;)

I think you meant R134A :)

Also remember the compressor actually "cycles" on and off at idle (normal function) and can be on more frequently if not continuously when cruising. :m2:

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
02EnvoySLE Guy said:
Freon? I sure hope my truck doesn't have Freon in it!! ;)

I think you meant R134A :)

Also remember the compressor actually "cycles" on and off at idle (normal function) and can be on more frequently if not continuously when cruising. :m2:
Yes, your right, but you got the idea.... Maybe I should have said refridgerant.

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MoJoe said:
Do you have it on recirt, or on fresh air? If it is fresh air, then it would have to have moving air coming in to cool to some extent. I agree with you that all AC's should cool when moving or sitting still. Something that logically should happen when the AC unit is on and the fan is pushing air in through the vents. I wish mine would cool if I was sitting still or moving. I do know that if I leave my TB sitting at idle with the AC on, it is cool air coming out, just not as cool as when I am moving. If you find it is something that needs to be fixed by GM, let us know. I wish mine did blow that same both ways.
:(
I think thats where my problem is, I get warm air, not hot, but warm enought to notice... I'm just trying to figure out whether or not it is something simple or is it electrical/mechanical. I agree that it wouldn't be as cold as if I was moving, so you are right on that.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Jman423 said:
I think thats where my problem is, I get warm air, not hot, but warm enought to notice... I'm just trying to figure out whether or not it is something simple or is it electrical/mechanical. I agree that it wouldn't be as cold as if I was moving, so you are right on that.
I think I would go and have the system checked for leaks, and see if it just needs to be recharged. Otherwise I really don't see where the problem is comming from with regards to a mechanical part being bad. :m2:

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
02EnvoySLE Guy said:
I think I would go and have the system checked for leaks, and see if it just needs to be recharged. Otherwise I really don't see where the problem is comming from with regards to a mechanical part being bad. :m2:
According to the invoice they gave me, they "said" they did the whole performace/leak test. I go back this week to have the TSB about my front end noise (link kit replacement) taken care of since they had to "special order" the parts. So I will complain again, but this time I am going in the afternoon so I can prove to them that somethings wrong.

·
Registered
2004 chevy
1,036 Posts
Just an FYI for everyone here, some of you will already know this, but if you have a service done (like a re-fill on coolant) they can over fill the system causing it to perform the same as if it was under filled. I know it has happen to friends of mine, when techs do not know what they are doing.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
I checked the pressure in my system after starting it up, and it was in the red zone, >100psi, but after a minute or two it settled down to where it should be. My last car didn't do this...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, definitely had this problem, too. I changed my refidgerant and it seemed to help, but it still wasn't as cold as when I am moving. Don't really know what that means exactly, but down here in New Mexico, we have regularly had 90+ days, and it SUCKS when you're sittin in traffic and baking...

1 - 20 of 415 Posts