Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Registered
333 Posts
The 4.2l is in some serious racing applications. They actually take boost really well when they are set up with a separate, tunable afm controller like limeswap or even a carbureted set up. There are configs of these engines that rev up to 9000rpm and make crazy numbers. All at 10x the cost of an LS making the same numbers.

I would loved to see these engines get some kind of boost, but they'd be too good....

· Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
93 Posts
02 LS 4.2L with about 260k

Replaced radiator because seam split at the top. Replaced water pump and all hoses at the same time for preventative maintenance. About 6 months after that alternator went out, so replaced it. At about 252k miles AC went out, so got compressor and receiver drier replaced.

· Registered
06 Trailblazer LT
49 Posts
Trying to justify the new tranny in my 04 TB, with 240k miles ... looking around the internet i see quite a few still on the road at 200 - 300k.

How many miles does your TB have and what major repairs have you had to do?

This one, before this transmission rebuild, has only wanted ware parts, nothing else major. Best rig I've ever owned, from a maintenance perspective.

FYI ... complete rebuild with torque converter and upgraded parts cost me shy $3k.
2006 96,000 no major work

· Registered
64 Posts
04 LS 226k
Bought 4 months ago with 223k for 1,800$.

Replaced;
alternator
rear brake lines
x2 calipers
x4 shocks
x2 front upper control arms w/ ball joints
x2 rear upper trailing arms (and refab the mounting brackets)
camshaft pos sensor
fuel filler neck
x2 tie rod ends
x4 '95 k1500 wheels
x4 A/T3W Wildpeak Tires
2" Rough Country Leveling kit

Im about $3,000 into the truck doing all the work myself and I love it :)

· Registered
2 Posts
2004 LS with 4.2l engine; 236,000 miles; original owner. Original engine and transmission. Key maintenance/replacement items over 19 years: Oil changes when oil change light comes on (typically 7k mile intervals). Have always used non-synthetic oil. Air filters every 2nd or 3rd oil change. Speedometer fixed under warranty. Fuse box replacement (melted defective aftermarket relay for daytime running lights). Approx. 150 k miles. 2 water pumps 160 and 170k miles. Fan clutch at 170k miles (I think the fan clutch may have been related to one or both water pump failures). 4? batteries. 4 sets of brake pads. 2 sets of brake rotors. 4 sets of tires. New spark plugs and transmission service at 100k and 200k miles. Replaced struts/shocks at 200k miles. Upgraded radio to digital receiver w/backup camera/bluetooth at 200k miles (original radio still worked). Alternator replaced at 210,000 miles. Recently (last 5k miles) replaced oil pressure sensor, thermostat, and 2 HVAC actuators. Don't remember the mileage but in the past have replaced fuel cap, heater fan resistor, windshield wiper motor, 2 washer fluid pumps, and couple of sensors that I don't remember (all very easy replacements that I did on my own). It looks like a long list but for 19 years and 238k miles it really isn't bad. A good deal of the repairs/maintenance was done by myself. The most expensive repair was the fuse box at about $800. Still runs strong. I use it as a 2nd vehicle/utility/off-road rig and drive it less now as I got a new vehicle 2 years ago. If Chevy still made these, I would have bought another one. Got a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk instead as I wanted a rugged mid-sized SUV with 4WD and some off-road capability. Chevy simply does not compete in that space at present.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts