Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow TB owners. I am here to revisit once again a P0017 code that I just cant rid myself of. crank/cam bank 1 sensor b. I haven been fighting this for some time now. The crank position sensor has been replaced ... The cam position sensor has been replaced ... the Cam actuator sensor has been replaced ... The oil changes are on time and clean. The dealership says they want to check for play in timing next. Another $150 just to look. If that's the problem they quoted me $2,600 to replace. I am running out of options. Most threads I read on here say its nearly impossible to have a stretched timing chain at this point the game. I have 80,000 miles on the inline 6 at this time. Can anyone help me here? I was thinking it maybe cheaper to take the chance of replacing the ecu in hopes that its a bad ecu. However I cant find how in depth that is? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am a Volunteer fire chief and my vehicle is obviously a need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add. Noticing when I clear the code it stays off for good it seems drove 100 miles or so without it coming back on . however on the first restart after each time of clearing code ....the ses light comes back on ... grrrr so frustrated right now. ...... and one more thing not sure its related but the cruise control was intermittent for a while and now doesn't seem to work at all...:confused::duh:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
15 Posts
I suggest at this time to think that your probably have a cam actuator(cam phaser) problem. I've change a lot of those in my dealership. We start by replacing the solenoid and oil change and after we replace the cam phaser cause most of the time stay stuck. Another thing, check the crank end play to make sure is not too much...

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
56 Posts
I'd echo that.

Provided there hasn't been any cylinder head or timing chain work done yet that would cause a problem. I'd double check the solenoid to be sure there isn't any garbage in it and then put an actuator in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate your insight ... both of you .. Ty... I know the cam solenoid was changed already. One of the first things the dealership tried. Thats the one you have to remove the steering pump then look at the screens right? as for the actuator ... how in depth is that ? I really hate to give up on the vehicle at this point. I do love it even though i had to replace the transmission at 37,000 miles and the gas gauge prob ... I would really like to keep it. Its in great shape

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
56 Posts
I appreciate your insight ... both of you .. Ty... I know the cam solenoid was changed already. One of the first things the dealership tried. Thats the one you have to remove the steering pump then look at the screens right?
Yes.

as for the actuator ... how in depth is that ? I really hate to give up on the vehicle at this point. I do love it even though i had to replace the transmission at 37,000 miles and the gas gauge prob ... I would really like to keep it. Its in great shape
It's like 5 hours labor and $200+ part.

FYI:

Due to the varied amount of concerns that can cause a p0017 code and number of PIs and TSBs for a DTC P0017, this document was created to cumulate all that information for those times when normal published diagnostics does not lead to a repair. Some of these include; the technician may have performed repairs for a secondary or non related concern such as a cylinder head or front cover replacement and then has a DTC p0017, or still has a DTC P0017 after performing repairs according to published diagnostics. Remember, a DTC p0017 DTC sets when CMP sensor pulse is greater than 16.31 degrees out of sequence with the corresponding crank sensor pulse; as stated in service information.

Note: This document is not intended as a short cut to diagnostics listed in SI.

A P0017 code may set for any of the following reasons:

 1. The engine is timed incorrectly. See current version of TSB 06-06-01-017 (RPO’s L52, LK5), See current version of 07-06-01-019 (RPO’s LLR, LLV) See current version of 07-06-01-018 (RPO LL8) Use these documents to check timing. The technician should follow the procedures to set the engine to #1 TDC then place the straight edge on the cam flats and:
1.1. . If one cam flat has excessive clearance as noted in the TSB that cam is one tooth off.
1.2. . If both cam flats have excessive clearance as noted in the TSB in the same direction the timing is off at the crank gear.
 2. The crank timing gear has a loose fit to the crank. See current version of PIP4581, The concern could be:
2.1. The crank key or keyway has excessive clearance.
2.2. The crank bolt is loose.
 3. The crank end play is excessive. See current version of PIP3694
 4. The cam actuator solenoid is restricted or screens are missing. See current version of PIP3694
 5. The cam actuator is sticking. See current version of PIP4913
 6. Low oil pressure or oil contamination. See current version of PIP4913
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:Well I'd like to thank you all for your help. I gave up on the trailblazer. As much as I loved it, I took amazing care of it and still had problem after problem. The dealer said this problem was down to 3 different things

replace the cam phaser

replace the timing chain

replace the engine

solution ... Moving to the TAHOE forums :eek:. proud owner of a chevy Tahoe z71 :)

good luck to you all and thx again for you help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.