Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Trail Blazer LTZ 4WD. She's got about 86,000 miles on her so far.

I recently noticed a new and unusual noise. It sounds like it's coming from the left front somewhere. It's a hum or muted buzz sound that changes frequency with speed. Higher pitch as speed increases. It is worse when making a right turn, like exiting a curved freeway ramp. It's less noticible when curving the other direction (left turn). I think I can feel it in the steering wheel during these right sweeping turns as well, but it's very faint, not any big vibration or anything like that, just a very light buzzing in the steering wheel.

I jacked up the front recently and checked for any slop in the front wheel hub/suspension. Everything was tight. I removed the wheel and rotated the hub assembly and there was no noise or bad bearing feel. Everything was very smooth. There is no slop in the half shaft to that wheel and everything looks and feels normal.

I would like to figure this out before anything big fails that might leave me stranded somewhere (or cost a fortune). This is our daily driver and I depend on it to always be there for us.

Any ideas?

We bought this TB new and love it. Except for the stepper motors on the Speedometer and gas gage going out recently, she's been trouble free. I was going to send the instrument cluster in for repair, but after reading the "How To" here, I think I'll tackle that job myself.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Doug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, Majestic,

That was my first thought as well, which is why I pulled the front wheel to check it out. Must be it's just starting to go as it feels smooth when I rotate it by hand (no grinding or notchy feel) and makes no bad noises like you would expect from a bearing going out.

This looks like a pretty expensive part ($200-$350 on line from Autozone and NAPA) But shouldn't be all that hard to change out. :cry:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Run a search. There are cheaper alternatives, but some of them are of Asian manufacture and suspect for longevity. Good news is that bearings have been known to run for hundreds of miles after starting to make horrific noises, and aren't usually the sort of thing that goes pop and strands you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Roadie,

I plan to change the hub/wheel bearing assembly in the next week or so. Any recommendations on where to buy the new hub assy? From the dealer vs. from a parts store. Autozone? NAPA? etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally got a chance to change out the left front wheel hub/bearing assy today. The job didn't go too badly. One of the hardest things was dealing with those pesky plastic clips that hold the ABS cable in place! Those little suckers just don't want to come out!

The old hub was stuck on the spline some, but a 3 jaw puller got it right off pretty quickly.

Now, hopefully the other side will last a while longer! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.