Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we got a bunch of snow here, so I was able to do some playing around this morning. Now, I'll start by saying that I understand how the settings work, but I did find some quirks.

HI-2X4: Pretty easy, it is just two wheel drive only.

Auto: Here is where I found the quirks. This setting engages the front diff, then when the rear tires start to spin, it automaticaly engages the front drive line in the transfer case. Ok, simple! However, I found that if you are sitting on say a hill in 2HI in snow, and you start spinning and can't move, if you swtch it to Auto, it will not engage. The switch light will stop flashing, but the front end will not engage.

Now, here is my theory: I think that it must need the vehicle to move just a little for it to engage. When it is in Auto and it spins but still moves a little, the front will engage very quickly. But if it is unable to move, then it will not.

I am not sure exactly what my point is in all this, I just found it interesting to play with it in all the different settings in different situations.

I have also been playing with the traction control/stabilitrac. Having grown up driving where we would get 15' of snow through the winter, I have decided I don't like it at all. I can drive better with it turned off. It is clearly for people who don't know how to drive on anything but dry pavement. Everytime it starts to slide, it is like the system is trying to fight what I am trying to do to correct. If I don't really react at all or do anything to correct, then it does work quite well, but it is just second nature for me to control the vehicle. It is kind of like having two people trying to drive at the same time!

Ok, I'm done. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Traction Control: Ditto!

I have also been playing with the traction control/stabilitrac. Having grown up driving where we would get 15' of snow through the winter, I have decided I don't like it at all. I can drive better with it turned off. It is clearly for people who don't know how to drive on anything but dry pavement. Everytime it starts to slide, it is like the system is trying to fight what I am trying to do to correct. If I don't really react at all or do anything to correct, then it does work quite well, but it is just second nature for me to control the vehicle. It is kind of like having two people trying to drive at the same time!
I Agree!!! Stabilitrak might be helpful at speed, but when driving around in the snow at speeds under 35 to 40 MPH, traction control and stabilitrak are mostly worthless.

I also don't care for ABS at low speed with a couple inches of snow on the ground. If you lock up your wheels you can usually find pavement. With ABS, you just roll and roll and roll. At almost all other times ABS can be a godsend.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, there again, for driver's who never learned to drive on anything but pavement. I grew up driving older vehicle on snow and ice, and I am so used to being my own "anti lock braking system" that I still find myself letting off the brake when I feel it start to lock. But then the anti lock has kicked in, and me letting off messes up what it is trying to do, and it is messing me up! I wish there was a way to switch it off, too.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
along these lines

my 2005 lt is the first 4 wheel drive of any kind I have owned. We had our first of the season blowing snow and I deliver sunday paper. bright and early 2:00 am, I tried to bust a drift and high centered it. Had it in 4-high and it was ideling with only two wheels turning one on each end on opposit sides. Is this what it is supposed to do. I thought 4-H and 4-L locke it into true 4wheel drive. As for stabilatrac, I don't think mine has it. Only ABS. Am I correct in this? Sorry for a silly question, I swear I read the owners manual and still could not figure this out.:worried:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
A G-80 locker would stop this. With regular differentals, you can high center it and spin one wheel front and one wheel rear. Sometimes you can apply the brakes slightly and cause the other wheel to move.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
my 2005 lt is the first 4 wheel drive of any kind I have owned. We had our first of the season blowing snow and I deliver sunday paper. bright and early 2:00 am, I tried to bust a drift and high centered it. Had it in 4-high and it was ideling with only two wheels turning one on each end on opposit sides. Is this what it is supposed to do. I thought 4-H and 4-L locke it into true 4wheel drive. As for stabilatrac, I don't think mine has it. Only ABS. Am I correct in this? Sorry for a silly question, I swear I read the owners manual and still could not figure this out.:worried:
Interesting questions... "real" 4WD is what we've got, but that only means that the front and rear drive shafts turn the same speed (as opposed to All WHeel Drive, which, in a lot of vehicles, will let you spin just the ONE tire, front or rear, with the least traction), so with no lockers in the front or rear (G80), you will spin the front with the lowest amount of traction betwen the fronts, and the rear with the lowest amount of traction between the rears... If you've got the G80 in the rear, you will spin both rears, and the one front with the least traction. That is how a differential works... It applies the same amount of torque to the left tire as the right tire, and if the right tire is in the air and can't put any torque to the ground, then it applies the same torque to the left tire that is the ground... none.

This is why a locker, IMO, is nessicary for any real travel off-road... You quite often find yourself with the left front and the right rear tipping to see which one will touch, so you will be spinning just the 2 tires with the least traction, when tires with the most traction just sit... With the G80 locker, it can transfer torque unevenly by spinning both tires the same speed, regardless of the amount of torque either tire can put down. So in the situation I mentioned above, you'd have the right rear hanging off the ground, applying no torque to get you moving, but the left rear has full traction, is turning the same speed as the right rear, and is pulling the whole vehicle out of your stuck spot...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Mike's got the explanation down perfectly. I also agree that a slight press on the brakes might help develop some torque on tires with some traction, but a high-centered vehicle might need a lot more torque than that. iowarider, do you have the G80 option? (Look on the glovebox label).

How did you get out, or are you posting this from your Blackberry still in the snowbank? :dielaugh:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
Sorry for the late reply and thanks. The explanation was great.

uh, one tow truck and $128.00 later and all 4 were back on the ground again. Unfortuanatly the tow truck hooked on to only one of the tow hooks on the front, straighned that thing out like a horn and took a hunk out of the bumper cover when the winch cable flew out.. Expensive lesson learned.

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
Yeah, there again, for driver's who never learned to drive on anything but pavement. I grew up driving older vehicle on snow and ice, and I am so used to being my own "anti lock braking system" that I still find myself letting off the brake when I feel it start to lock. But then the anti lock has kicked in, and me letting off messes up what it is trying to do, and it is messing me up! I wish there was a way to switch it off, too.
The ABS I find okay in the Envoy in Winter, probably because I have Snow Tires with some grip so it works not too bad. However in my 07 Montana ABS on snow is terrible with all season tires it would roll for ever before it would stop. While messing around one day in a snow covered parking lot I put on the emergency brake to slide the back around and stuff then press it again to release. I discovered that if you apply the emergency brake and continue to move forward and then release it, that it will TURN OFF THE ABS, until you restart the engine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The ABS I find okay in the Envoy in Winter, probably because I have Snow Tires with some grip so it works not too bad. However in my 07 Montana ABS on snow is terrible with all season tires it would roll for ever before it would stop. While messing around one day in a snow covered parking lot I put on the emergency brake to slide the back around and stuff then press it again to release. I discovered that if you apply the emergency brake and continue to move forward and then release it, that it will TURN OFF THE ABS, until you restart the engine.[/QUOTe

thats cool ill have to try that i hate abs and the other no fun functions on my tb

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
The ABS I find okay in the Envoy in Winter, probably because I have Snow Tires with some grip so it works not too bad. However in my 07 Montana ABS on snow is terrible with all season tires it would roll for ever before it would stop. While messing around one day in a snow covered parking lot I put on the emergency brake to slide the back around and stuff then press it again to release. I discovered that if you apply the emergency brake and continue to move forward and then release it, that it will TURN OFF THE ABS, until you restart the engine.[/QUOTe

thats cool ill have to try that i hate abs and the other no fun functions on my tb
don't think you can do that in a TB. Works with Montana cause its front wheel drive.

·
Registered
183 Posts
All the explanations are great, the "AUTO" option works best when you are at "speed" with blowing snow etc. If your stuck go straight to 4 High...and 4 Low if your really screwed and prey.....4 Low works great for pulling somone else out of the ditch. Just did it this morning....:woot:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts