Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I went to the dealership and got a complete inspection when i had my new wheels and tires put on. They told me my front pinion seal was leaking. They said it was nothing major, just needs to be taken care of before it gets worse. My warrantee covers it, just gotta pay 100 deductible. Question is, wouldnt i see spots on the ground if it was leaking? I never have seen anything under the truck. Just wanted to know if i will notice it is leaking to get it replaced, or if it is something i should get done right now. I trust your opinions over the stealership... :thumbsup: Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
Leaks can generally be divided into "seeps" and "drips". You probably have a seep.

That means you can live with it for a long time.

Would I spend $100 to have it replaced? Dunno. I'd slide under there and look for myself. See how much seepage there is. Take a pic and show us.

It is not something that will get better, that's for sure, but it might take a very long time to get much worse. How much time left on your warranty? How much is knowing you have a seep leak going to prey on your mind? Peace of mind is worth something. Don't discount it too much.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
228 Posts
get it done!!!!

I had the same issue on my 2004 TB ext and the leak got bad real fast (2,000 miles) and almost blew the whole front axle assembly. Had to get it replaced since the bearings where shot. The damn thing only holds like pint and a half of fluid.....

I would spend the $100 and be safe.

Don

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I just bought the extended warrantee. It is good for 3 years. I will just get it replaced. They also suggested a Tranny fluid flush. I am at 56,000 miles. I am iffy on that. I have read mixed things on here about it. Some say they didnt have problems until it was flushed. I might just get the seal done for the moment. Thanks again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it the Power stearing fluid that would leak through the pinion seal??? I checked it over my lunch break, and it looks good.

·
Premium Member
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,572 Posts
The fluid leaking out of your front pinion is your front axle fluid.
The front pinion is where the front drive shaft meet your front axle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha... Thanks Anyone have a picture on what i should look at if i get under there myself. I am new to this dealership, and want to make sure they arent blowing smoke. I am used to a nice place with friendly people. felt kinda weird to me there. Thanks

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts