Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at some tires on line and I figured what would be the best tire there are 3 options. Bfg Mud Terrain, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R, and Micky Thompson Baja Claw. So what do you guys figure? These are 3 of the best tires out there.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
I know i dont have to tell you my choice..lol..
ah heck here it is anyway..
BFG KM2 Muds White letters out for BLING! haha

They ride so much better than the old style BFG muds and
they dont sing nearly as bad either..
Pricey..but worth every penny!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats to many people that have said that already :laugh: I am goin to try and get my price on em. Any other takers :coffee

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah actualy I was just reading on that tire sounds like a good one :thumbsup: Anymore takers the more the marrier

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I used to have some toyo AT's and I absolutely loved them!!! they performed awesome in the dirt (and I'm 2WD) but a friend of mine has a lifted F-150 and some toyo MT's and he loves how they are quiet but still perform awesome

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those wrangler duratrac's look like they can get the job done. And I have been hearing alot about these toyo MT's I found a place here that actualy stocks them also heard they are pretty priceee.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend of mine just put the new wrangler MT/R's with the kevlar walls on his truck last night so I wanna hear about these they are a realy nice tire but 32x11.50 R15 for almost 1300.00 says might be to much for me considering I need a 16" ppffff another one of those GM moments again :crackup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Either tire -- except the Claw -- would be fine. You might also want to check out Pro Comp MT and Xtreme MT, and the Cooper STT.

After watching a bunch of people wheel Claws (and Pro Comp Xterrain -- similar tread pattern) I can't recommend them. Too much side slip -- everyone ends up off the trail in the woods.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I would stay away from the coopers ive seen them after a trail ride

there's an owner here in vegas for maximum offroad and security he has the cooper MT on his rubicon and just from going on a small hill climb he tore CHUNKS of the block off of his tires and these are that fresh off of the showroom floor tires the people there at the shop EVEN the owner told me to stay away from cooper as they are too soft.

But that would be here for desert terrain i dont know what you got there just thought it might be an interesting fact :m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
I would stay away from the coopers ive seen them after a trail ride

there's an owner here in vegas for maximum offroad and security he has the cooper MT on his rubicon and just from going on a small hill climb he tore CHUNKS of the block off of his tires and these are that fresh off of the showroom floor tires the people there at the shop EVEN the owner told me to stay away from cooper as they are too soft.

But that would be here for desert terrain i dont know what you got there just thought it might be an interesting fact :m2:
You point out an interesting issue that most guys looking for advice on tires don't realize -- tires selection is very regional in nature. In western rock and cactus, you need to run an entirely different tire than the guys running southern mud or midwestern hills and boulder fields need to run. Goodyear MTs are popular in Moab and surrounding areas because of their toughness -- yet in Kentucky, they won't make the first trail we hit -- it will be winch time all day long. Desert racers run Baja type tires like the BFG Baja TA.

Know where you are going to run -- and find people that run there -- to know which tires are best in that area.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
You point out an interesting issue that most guys looking for advice on tires don't realize -- tires selection is very regional in nature. In western rock and cactus, you need to run an entirely different tire than the guys running southern mud or midwestern hills and boulder fields need to run. Goodyear MTs are popular in Moab and surrounding areas because of their toughness -- yet in Kentucky, they won't make the first trail we hit -- it will be winch time all day long. Desert racers run Baja type tires like the BFG Baja TA.

Know where you are going to run -- and find people that run there -- to know which tires are best in that area.

The Roadie would be someone with knowledge on desert tires, at least guessing from his pics. There's definitely a good difference. A few weeks ago I ended up turning around on Senator Highway because I was almost sure that my tires were going to end up damaged by the rocks there (I'm running Michelin LTX M/S, not even A/T tires).

I've seen plenty of people here in AZ running SilentArmors and General Grabber AT2s. And I think that The Roadie ran SilentArmors during his desert/semi-desert trips.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
... new wrangler MT/R's with the kevlar walls...
Definitely a tire I'll be evaluating for my next set. I'm currently 3/4 done with my last set, which accomplished their main mission of the Rubicon last year. Plus all sorts of sharp rocks in Death Valley. The tread's getting pretty worn to do mud well anymore.
You might also want to check out Pro Comp MT and Xtreme MT...
I got the ProComp Xtreme MT in the first month they were available in the size I wanted.
...A few weeks ago I ended up turning around on Senator Highway because I was almost sure that my tires were going to end up damaged by the rocks there (I'm running Michelin LTX M/S, not even A/T tires).

I've seen plenty of people here in AZ running SilentArmors and General Grabber AT2s. And I think that The Roadie ran SilentArmors during his desert/semi-desert trips.
Interesting. I was on Senator Highway last Thanksgiving for a quick trip, and the side spurs to hill tops were the only challenging ones. But I would have been terrified on the main road if I had the stock tires or M&S. Good decision.

Silent Armor ATs were my first upgrade tires, and a learning tool. I could not have gotten full benefit out of my current MTs on tougher trails without a couple years practice with the ATs. But aired down MTs are incredible for traction. 20-25 degree hill climbs, almost no need for wheel-spinning drama, no need for full throttle momentum climbs as in one of my old youtube videos. Just deliberate and calm - UP THE HILL YA GO.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
Interesting. I was on Senator Highway last Thanksgiving for a quick trip, and the side spurs to hill tops were the only challenging ones. But I would have been terrified on the main road if I had the stock tires or M&S. Good decision.
I can do fine on the main road up to the junction with Walker Rd (driving out of Prescott), right after the junction the road gets worse, driveable, but there are lots of sharp rocks, and I was like hmmmm.... maybe not, so I probably drove for a mile or so and turned around. It seems to me like a decent part of Senator Hwy is well graded, but there's just too many rocks. Walker Rd is worse graded but there's less rocks.

My first off-road driving was actually on Senator Highway during Halloween, driving to one of the campsites at 10 PM while following a lifted Suburban. fun times.

We should have talked before your trip. I happened to be driving to Crown King during the Thanksgiving break (on the decent-er road) and there was probably a chance to meet somewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts