Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically im already aware of the springs and strut combinations that are available for lowering the trucks down, im not going for just looks, i want actual noticible improvements in handling over stock

right now my truck is stock but this is what im thinking of doing.

Trading out the Stock 245/70 series tires for some wider 255/65 series, if i did this my speedo would be less than 1mph off so it all stays relative, along with the wider contact patch ide also have less sidewall flex which should help

Im looking to lower the truck, dont know which kit yet though, so far it seems like DJM lowers it the most with its 3/4 setup, ground force seems like a waste of time for only 1.5" drop in the front on a SUV, and belltechs IDK

Bilstein HD shocks are a must i assume, people seem to like them, should help with handling

NOW

Are there any aftermarket performance Swaybars made for these trucks? Something larger diameter then stock ETC that kinda thing?

Do they sell Poly bushings to further help stiffen things up and get rid of the crappy rubber mounts??

Do they sell strut tower bars anywere?

im looking for honest suspension improvements, not just looks, i want it to corner

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
115 Posts
I thought DJM was for 2 wheel drive only...and you can go lower with the ground force kit in the front by using SS struts with the shock mod

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know where I can pickup Poly Swaybar endlinks? I don't want regular OEM rubber replacements ide like a performance poly alternative

Also groundforce is like almost no drop in the front whatsoever, 1.3 inches is nothing on a SUV with a wheel gap you could fit your head in

I would consider belltech but ive been seeing issues with them in the front and balljoints if you don't get control arms also

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,248 Posts
Does anyone know where I can pickup Poly Swaybar endlinks? I don't want regular OEM rubber replacements ide like a performance poly alternative

Also groundforce is like almost no drop in the front whatsoever, 1.3 inches is nothing on a SUV with a wheel gap you could fit your head in

I would consider belltech but ive been seeing issues with them in the front and balljoints if you don't get control arms also
You need to slide under the truck and check out the sway bar links. They are not old school w/rubber pads like you are thinking.

You can get poly replacements for the rubber sleeves where they fit up to the frame, and that will help tighen things up some.

On the Trailblazer vehicle, I think that strut supports would help. Though we have body on frame construction, the tops of the coil-overs (we don't really have struts) mount to the body and there is bound to be deflection. I'm looking into that myself.

The Bilstein shocks are a good choice -- firmer than stock without beating you sensless inside the cab.

You might look into the SS parts, as they lower and increase suspension performance considerably.

For aftermarket sway bars, there are a couple of choices. Some guys say that the hotchkiss parts work out well.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
Eibach and Hotchkis are two options for swaybars

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anyone have a link of where to buy polys for the swaybar endlinks

·
Northwest Chapter
11,917 Posts
For stiffer ride and height/dampening control get kbee coilover and DJM upper control arms to make it align properly. You can go really low, have fully adjustable dampening, and it will align. On 4WD/AWD trucks too, this is the setup Ill be getting someday. But its pricey, think $600 for the coilvers and $325 for the control arms.

Just a heads up, honestly after owning both the SS and HD Bilstein shocks, the SS shocks are MUCH better for our trucks than the HDs. The rear end of my 02 hops around way too much over bumps, my SS goes over with not so much as a peep (and no hard extensions after speed bumps either). Thats my .02, but Im a SS Bilstein over HD shock convert, use to think the HDs were the greatest thing since sliced bread but they're not the best choice out there.

Swaybars you can do Addco front and rear bars, end links get some factory replacements because the Moog ones suck worse than the factory ones.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
I just bought a set of SS blue/yellow bilstein struts off the other site to replace the factory struts..

with the belltech springs the front end is so damn bouncy and I am hoping it will be cured with the SS struts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
anyone have a link of where to buy polys for the swaybar endlinks
No such thing...

Look at the end links under your truck, you'll see instantly what I'm talking about. They don't have the typical through bolt with rubber bushings like most sway bars. They're already about as solid as end-links can get, and they are all "poly."

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,214 Posts
Since your an '02 model, your from sway bar is great, bigger than the one on the SS....you just need the 42mm poly bushings for it. The good news is that the Hotchkis rear sway bar kit INCLUDES poly bushings for the front end. That alone makes a huge difference is how much lean you have on a turn. With my Hotchkis kit, GF springs and HD shocks, my Envoy is nearly level take turns.....it is truly shocking how much of a difference they make.

You're a 4x4 model, so you'll may have problems if you go much lower than a 2" drop in the front. The DJM kit cannot be used to drop a 4x4 due to the shorter yokes used, however the upper A arms are NECESSARY to achieve alignment and keep the upper ball joints from self-destructing when you get into the 2" range up front. - Now those arms plus the Belltech lowering struts can be used to get 2" using the factory front spring or with a GF front spring for up to around a 3.5 inche total......however keep in mind that the front half-shaft angle may cause problems with that much drop.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since your an '02 model, your from sway bar is great, bigger than the one on the SS....you just need the 42mm poly bushings for it. The good news is that the Hotchkis rear sway bar kit INCLUDES poly bushings for the front end. That alone makes a huge difference is how much lean you have on a turn. With my Hotchkis kit, GF springs and HD shocks, my Envoy is nearly level take turns.....it is truly shocking how much of a difference they make.

You're a 4x4 model, so you'll may have problems if you go much lower than a 2" drop in the front. The DJM kit cannot be used to drop a 4x4 due to the shorter yokes used, however the upper A arms are NECESSARY to achieve alignment and keep the upper ball joints from self-destructing when you get into the 2" range up front. - Now those arms plus the Belltech lowering struts can be used to get 2" using the factory front spring or with a GF front spring for up to around a 3.5 inche total......however keep in mind that the front half-shaft angle may cause problems with that much drop.
Where can I get the poly bushings your talking about for the front + rear? Do they sell them seperately from the swaybar and just the polys by themselves

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,214 Posts
Mine came with the rear sway bar, however they're made by Energy Suspension......Hotchkis doesn't make the bushings, they use Energy Suspension for the bushings and grease. NAPA lists a 'synthetic' front bushing (1.72" or 42.5mm) that I would expect to be some sort of poly. (The OEM bushings are rubber). The Hotchkis rep I spoke with told me the source of the bushings and grease, when I called to inquire about replacement grease.

Keep in mind that out back, a larger or thicker bar would help....the rear bar is something like .8xx inches, while the Hotchkis is just over an inch, if memory serves me correctly. (Don't have the info in front me, however I know it was several mm thicker).

A year or two back, somebody found front and rear bushings for stock sizing at either AutoZone or one of the chains, so absolutely worth checking. I also seem to recall somebody having a Hotchkis setup for sale in the classifieds section really cheap.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine came with the rear sway bar, however they're made by Energy Suspension......Hotchkis doesn't make the bushings, they use Energy Suspension for the bushings and grease. NAPA lists a 'synthetic' front bushing (1.72" or 42.5mm) that I would expect to be some sort of poly. (The OEM bushings are rubber). The Hotchkis rep I spoke with told me the source of the bushings and grease, when I called to inquire about replacement grease.

Keep in mind that out back, a larger or thicker bar would help....the rear bar is something like .8xx inches, while the Hotchkis is just over an inch, if memory serves me correctly. (Don't have the info in front me, however I know it was several mm thicker).

I thought that the hotch
A year or two back, somebody found front and rear bushings for stock sizing at either AutoZone or one of the chains, so absolutely worth checking. I also seem to recall somebody having a Hotchkis setup for sale in the classifieds section really cheap.
I thought that the hotchkis rear bar would only work on 04+ for some reason and not a 02, any ideas?

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,736 Posts
Trading out the Stock 245/70 series tires for some wider 255/65 series, if i did this my speedo would be less than 1mph off so it all stays relative, along with the wider contact patch ide also have less sidewall flex which should help
Apart from bicycle tire skinny and 600-series thick, for a given sidewall height, sidewall flex will be the same, given the same tire specifications.

I urge you to look at TBSS stuff... Can probably be had for little money as take-offs, and will be about the most streetable stuff going... If you go too stiff with the springs, or too thick with the anti-roll bars, it will be GREAT on an ultra-smooth racetrack, but will bounce around and have traction problems on non-perfect roads. We already have enough of that in the rear, with the solid axle.

Mike

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Where can I get the poly bushings your talking about for the front + rear? Do they sell them seperately from the swaybar and just the polys by themselves
Here's one source -- you can purchase locally through any NAPA store, or order online. Part number is for the "big" front sway bar.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...scription=Sway+Bar+Bushing+-+Front+Suspension

Here is for the front end links:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...iption=Sway+Bar+Repair+Kit+-+Front+Suspension

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
80 Posts
Here's one source -- you can purchase locally through any NAPA store, or order online. Part number is for the "big" front sway bar.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...scription=Sway+Bar+Bushing+-+Front+Suspension

Here is for the front end links:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...iption=Sway+Bar+Repair+Kit+-+Front+Suspension

I just installed these bushings on the front of my Envoy yesterday. The OEM's were completely shot, with lots of side to side play on the bar. Let me tell you, just these alone made a HUGE difference in how much body roll I get on turns. As far as I can tell they are 100% poly, and FAR superior to anything OEM. About $17 bucks at NAPA for the fronts, and just over $10 for the rears. Doing the rears today, and will be replacing the end links later due to cost. I'm very impressed with the bushings though. Made a major difference in handling.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So those bushings are the 43mm or whatever it was that people have preferred to me? I know i have a 02 so i have the bigger front swaybar so hopefully those are the correct ones for best cornering.

Also as for lowering the truck, i dont mind going for a mild lower on the front because the fronts not that high anyway, maybe like a groundforce 1.3" drop in the front so i dont have to use new control arms etc

BUT

my rear end sits HIGH, redicilously high, so i want that LOW, i dont think the groundforce 2" or the belltech 3" drop would be enough, hopefully i can find some DJM rear 4" lowering springs if im lucky

I also just noticed that the NAPA link you just showed me, they sell poly fronts but only rubber rears, where can i get poly rears at. also which diameter do i need for the fronts? Theres like three different ones, there the non labeled one, then theres a 1.73 one and a 1.80 one

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I also just noticed that the NAPA link you just showed me, they sell poly fronts but only rubber rears, where can i get poly rears at. also which diameter do i need for the fronts? Theres like three different ones, there the non labeled one, then theres a 1.73 one and a 1.80 one
Not being a smart aleck, but the best way to make sure is to measure. I'd crawl under there with a dial caliper and check the size to make sure. With the different sizes, you could end up with the wrong one. That, or order all the ones that are close, and send the couple back that don't work.

For the rear, check different model years. You get the size data from the listing, so compare. Just takes a bit of homework. Also check out the rear sway bar bushings on other GM offerings, like the Firebird, etc. One of them may be very much the same. They didn't completely reinvent the wheel every time they hung a sway bar under a vehicle. I'd also expect a place like Poly Performance, Hotchkiss, etc., would have the poly bushings available, and yes, they sell individual parts, not just kits.

Same goes for diameter. Increasing this helps stability. Check the different model years/body styles and see if any particular one has a larger bar. Get one from a salvage yard and increase the handling. Just takes a bit of web homework before you go shopping.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.