Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this website and I am relatively new to the car scene. I have a 2004 trailblazer LS, and it has the 4.2 I6. I was wondering, if there are any performance parts out there that could make my trailblazer a little bit more faster? I'm not looking for a supercharger or anything like that, I'm just looking for things to install that could give it just a little bit more power, I know a performance intake could do me some justice but thats all I really know, so if anybody has suggestions I would love to hear them because I have a hard time finding performance parts for my trailblazer. Thank you all.

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
153 Posts
I'm relatively new there as well with my '04 I6 Trailblazer. I've read through hundreds of posts and threads and haven't crossed over much in the performance area. I don't think there's much out there for our trucks.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
hi and welcome, as far as I know, engine wise theirs no real performance parts upgrades availble , I know there is a PCM update that some say makes a difference. I believe they are a sponsor of this site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm relatively new there as well with my '04 I6 Trailblazer. I've read through hundreds of posts and threads and haven't crossed over much in the performance area. I don't think there's much out there for our trucks.
Yeah unfortunately :/

·
Registered
681 Posts
My son had built a modified PCM for the vehicle he gave me - he gave me that and another stock one.

He left most of the emission controls intact, just changed the transmission parameters and the VVT setup with timing and injection mods for a little more performance.

I can say that I've driven it both ways - Stock and Modified ECMs, and the torque on bottom end is maybe twice what it normally is using the mod'd unit.

It loses about 3MPG though - so there's always a trade-off.

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4x4, 4.2L:, 2016 ATS-V, 2014 CTS-V Wagon, 2018 Audi A7
153 Posts
A good trade off. Low end grunt is worth it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
30 Posts
Cat-back exhaust (Flowmaster/Magnaflow) and a K&N filtercharger will give you a little more pep in your step. The combo will probably add 20-30 HP. These should be the first thing ever done to a vehicle before anything else. Don't even consider a tune without doing these first. Best $500 you'll ever spend on a vehicle.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
72 Posts
I forget which company makes a header and high flow cat for the 4.2L, but it looks great...too bad it's like $1,500 practically! Hard to believe the header and exhaust supposedly adds very little horsepower. I've opened up my air box by getting a junk yard one and cutting on it, and it already had a K&N filter on it, when we got it. I've added a mandrelbendingsolutions.com 3" muffler that is like a Magnaflow, but cheaper stainless steel. I wish I knew what the cam centerlines are and could change the intake cam centerline to about 106 degrees or so, and to add a tune. I am also hoping the 4.10 rear gears I need to get put in, will wake it up some, during towing, compared to the 3.42's I have now.

Rob in AZ

·
Registered
681 Posts
The K&N is an expensive mistake. Since I have both a stock and a modified ECM, and a K&N Cold pack..... and use of a dyno.... I tested both of the air filters.

A net loss of 11 HP with the K&N on my personal 2005 TB. Plus the possibility of fouling the MAF.

K&N is a joke... and this is not the first time I've seen this happen for vehicles with operating emission systems. The computer just sidesteps what you do by looking up a different operating profile.

I ran a dyno shop in Anaheim for 13 years, and NEVER saw any real improvement with their filters. Many times I saw from no- to significant- power profile losses.

Don't waste you money on a fake, highly advertised- nothing but an overly expensive reusable air filter that passes dirt into your engine. I've seen turbos with no clean air-side compression vanes because of the abrasive dirt getting through.

Reactions: Denny62
1 - 11 of 11 Posts