Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time I've had to post as everyone else has seemed to encounter a problem I have had in the past, so thanks for the help!

05 XUV

Has anyone experience both passenger struts and leveling sensors going bad at the same time?

I recently had my self leveling sensor re-calibrated, at least the dealer said they did.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat . I may be having a brain fart, but what are passenger struts? We have struts/shocks on the front and plain shocks on the back.:confused:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally I took the car in for an oil change and a alignment as the car was pulling to the right. My road is full of pot holes so I assumed it was just the alignment.

The dealer called and mentioned that it was not only out of alignment but the car was not sitting level and the sensor needed to be "re-calibrated".

A month down the road I noticed that the car did not look level, and after reading a few post on here I assumed that the air compressor would kick on after i started the car. I took it for a drive and I can not notice the vehicle leaning to the passenger side while driving. I parked the car in a different spot and still noticed that the car was lower on the passenger side, most notably towards the rear wheel. This is why I took the car in for the dealer to check it out.

Their diagnosis was that both the front and rear (passenger side) struts/shocks had gone bad.

Should I have the dealer take a look at compressor/air suspension as well? The parts they ordered and I have an appointment at 8 am tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Before letting the dealer touch it, find a level parking lot and measure all four wheelwell heights. Measure from the ground to the top of the wheel well opening. Write it all down.

Then you can tell if they improve anything or are just fibbing to you.

In the rear, you have an air bag on each side instead of a coil spring, but you know that. If the air bag isn't leaking, then indeed the height sensor can be off, and need recalibrating. It's a trivial adjustment they can't charge much for.

If they said the right rear air bag has "gone bad", they must be claiming it's leaking. A leaker will run the compressor more than normal and you'd notice that. That's ALL they should be looking at in the rear. The shock might be bad, but you find that out by bouncing the right rear bumper up and down and see if it fails to stop moving in one bounce.

Important concept: SHOCKS CANNOT AFFECT RIDE HEIGHT. Whatever problems you have with height cannot be from shocks. Don't let them lie to you.

In the front, if your right FRONT wheelwell height (that you're going to measure) is different from the left, it can only be from a sagging spring or a torn upper strut mount. Nothing in the front shock can affect ride height - again. Same reason as in the back. Shocks just stop bounciness. They don't affect ride height. Don't let them change shocks and tell you it's going to affect the leaning.

What did they charge you for the sensor recalibration? I strongly suspect your pulling to one side was just the front end alignment, and they messed up the ride height by touching the sensor. That "repair" should have a warranty, and they owe you the proper height back.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Luckily I bought this last December as a certified used vehicle so it hasn't cost me a dime... I went to the dealership for oil changes and the front end alignment because they offered "a years worth of service" on standard maintenance.

Thanks for the explanation, I have experienced and heard worse things about this dealer. I didn't think getting an oil change could cause so many problems to a perfectly fine "certified" used car.

I'll post the results tomorrow.:thx

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked for them to take a look at the air bags and the compressor... the rear passenger airbag was flat, the sensor went bad and it ended up burning out the compressor. It turns out the mechanic was just being lazy and felt that the strut and sensor were going to fix the problem.

All of it is being replaced, but the compressor and air bags are on back order from GM, Driving a Buick Enclave until it is fixed...

Thanks for the help!!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.