Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the last few hours on this site and have managed to get part numbers for the bezels and the plastic cover for the switches on the drivers seat. Before I go too far let me tell you I am female, so clueless to some extent, but motivated to do it myself or get it done as cheap as possible. All bezels are broke for all 4 doors. I have the part number and plan to order them and put them in myself. (Husband broke all of them from installing new speakers. Please don't ask why hubby isn't doing this...he's busy, active duty military and I don't want him breaking anything else. I also think he is to blame for door panel issues. Love him but geez!) So, on another thread someone talked about the bracket inside breaking...sounds like this is very common and upon further investigation is totally what is wrong with mine. Problem is, I cannot find previous thread that talked about how to fix it and I am not sure I have all tools needed. So I am asking for help finding the thread or for someone to repost the fix. Second, there is white peg things that also help hold the door panel on. Where can I find those? (that Compnine.com website no longer works so no clue where to find part numbers.) I am missing one on the driver door and at least one is broken on the passenger door. I am also wondering...there is a screw missing that goes through the armrest to the door. Would replacing that screw be enough to hold the door panel on til I can fix it? Lastly, at the top of the interior door panel in the far upper corner where window meets door panel the clips are broke and stuck in the door. Any ideas what to do about that?

I was going to take this in to a dealership to get the panel fixed but I really have a limited budget and would like to attempt to fix myself first...unless I can find someone locally that could try to fix...which probably won't happen. Help! :thx

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
224 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow thanks!!! I don't know why it still doesn't dawn on me to check youtube for how to videos!!! After watching it I now know how the bezels got broke...lol. I also remembered what the other fix was. I will advise how this goes...I can't hit this project til next week when the kids are in school and no one will be bugging me.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
29 Posts
If you are talking about those two black clips that are inside the door's handle area you can fix them without any problem. What i did was get some PVC primer and glue at the nearest valu (home improvement stores like lowes or home depot work as well lol) I put some of the PVC cleaner/primer on the two broken pieces of the plastic screw holder (idk the real name of them) and let it set for a min and then applied some of the PVC glue to the one piece of the broken holder and hold it firmly in place for a minute and let it sit out without being screwed together for 24 hours.

What you can do is take the door panel itself right off and there are two tiny screws that hold the retaining clip onto the door panel itself. As long as just the clip busted and not the actual door panel you can fix it easily. I bought my Envoy with one of the black clips cracked in half on my door. What i did was pop the door off and get a philips screw driver and remove the two screws holding the one piece of the retaining clip on the door. Then i took my metric socket set and removed the other half of the retaining clip (iirc the socket was like a 7-8mm socket but i cant remember completely because i usually just start grabbing random sockets in my huge kit until one fits the bolt hahaha) Once i had the clip itself off and made sure i had no missing pieces i primed/cleaned it then glued it. It has not broke since and has been in for over 9 months. I did the same thing for my headlight bracket and it too has been great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So funny you say that. I was in the Napa store today looking for the white pegs, which by the way if someone knows what they are called or a part number it looks like I am going to have to order those too, the guy there said the same thing about the pvc glue! So this next week I will go to the local hardware store and see what they have to say about it. In mine the door panel is already off. I need one bolt that hubby lost apparently when doing the speakers and I have to take the other bolt off which is holding the broken plastic piece. I will update when this is done but I thank goodness I found this place. All issues I am having with this vehicle has been posted about and I think I can fix myself. :yes:

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
29 Posts
How did he take the door off? Ive never broken a peg on a door before and ive installed aftermarket systems in my Envoy and my old 98 olds 88 without any problems. I even ran new speaker wires and power wire without any problems. Either way it shouldnt be hard to fix. Its funny how i had the idea to use the pvc glue. I was trying to figure out a glue that would still have a strong bond in the cold and heat and quick temperature changes. Then when i went to my basement to see what tools i needed i looked up and saw the big drain pipe and instantly thought "this is plastic and im sure the door piece is the same type of plastic material and the pipe gets tons of temperature changes, im going to try pvc glue" lol.

Also here is a link to what i believe is the correct size of the retaining clips: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Door_Trim_Panel_Retainer_GM_p/a11796.htm Im not 100% certain on the size but id just measure the clip you have that isnt broken and see if its the same measurements on the site. You get 50 of the clips in the package from what their site says so that will be more then enough for you to repair the doors. I dont remember the part # or the actual name of those black clips that are at a right angle to hold the door on tightly near the handle but if you have the part just google it and it should come up. Rockauto.com is pretty good on parts too. Thats where i buy most of my stuff if its not too small.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts