Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my front upper and lower ball joints, Rack and pinion and front diff input seal. Are there any upgrades that would help off-road wise? I've seen Moog ball joints, are they really worth twice the amount of the duralast ones? Any other rack and pinions? If my rack tie rods are 14mm, what would I have to replace to fit the 16mm ones? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I don't know of any stronger ball joints or sway bar links, and can't comment on the Moog issue.

FOr the rack and pinion, the whole thing might be stronger in the later, 16mm versions. But maybe not. Anyway, you can do the research (way too much for me to volunteer for) by starting at www.compnine.com and drilling down for your 2002 vehicle until you get to the exploded diagram of the rack and pinion. Capture all the part numbers. Then do the same for a 2004 and check the differences.

I'm fairly sure the 2003+ upgraded one would be backwards compatible with yours. Just buy the entire assembly from a recycler you can find on www.car-parts.com. They seem to be going for $100-200.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As always, thank you roadie. I just finished changing the rear diff oil and finally installing my purple cranium half spider. I will check those links later tonight.

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Where can I get this purple cranium diff cover?? I wants me one!! You wouldn't think I'm such a lazy noob, but I'm in a hurry to hit the head, so I'll let you guys search and just get the answer later. OK? I know I can count on you, my loyal minions.
:eek:fftopic:

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Awww.....well crap....I guess I really am a lazy noob....lol!! Thanks Bill...you straightened me out....I'll search myself next time....

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where can I get this purple cranium diff cover?? I wants me one!! You wouldn't think I'm such a lazy noob, but I'm in a hurry to hit the head, so I'll let you guys search and just get the answer later. OK? I know I can count on you, my loyal minions.
:eek:fftopic:
www.purplecranium.com mine ran about $130 with the black and silver hammertone coating and shipping.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
73 Posts
I have to replace my front upper and lower ball joints, Rack and pinion and front diff input seal. Are there any upgrades that would help off-road wise? I've seen Moog ball joints, are they really worth twice the amount of the duralast ones? Any other rack and pinions? If my rack tie rods are 14mm, what would I have to replace to fit the 16mm ones? Thanks in advance.
I used to have the Moog ball joints on my old blazer and Old Blue ate 'em up. Seemed like I would have to change them every 8-12 months. After awhile of changing them out so often, the parts man gave me a lifetime warranty which helped a lot!!!!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
O.k. just bought upper and lower ball joints from autozone, have to get the seals at the dealership and I'll get the rack and pinion from autozone friday when i get paid. All will be installed next sunday and hopefully takes care of my mystery noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.