Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I read as much as I could through the posts concerning problems with the air suspension system on my Envoy. When I decided to convert to coils I ran into a problem with finding the right part number. Fellow member gmac310 was helpful with advice on the conversion and pictures but he too had to spend time with a parts supplier who was guessing at the proper part number. The guy at Oreilly couldn't even find coil springs for my vehicle.

The parts people at the dealership wanted my vin but I had to explain that my vin would bring them to the parts schematic of an air suspension Envoy, useless when I wanted to convert. They had a number of coils they could guess at.

I went to yahoo auto, plugged in 03 Envoy XL within 300 miles and found a couple. The dealers selling on Yahoo list vin as well as all options. It just took wading through a couple of vehicles to find one without air and voila a vin to give to the parts guy, er gal.

So if you have an 03 XL you want to convert here are the part numbers as given to me by James Wood GMC in Denton TX

Right Coil 15207608
Left Coil15207609
Insulator 15765071

Coils aren't cheap though, about $90 each. OUCH!

UPDATE, just checked GM Parts Direct and there is a significant price difference between the two springs. One being over $20 cheaper than the other. Makes me wonder if there are really right and left springs or maybe the parts person was confused. Hmmm, will investigate and get back to y'all.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There is a project going on in the Offroad section to collect all the possible spring numbers and sort them by stiffness. There are over a dozen for the front and another large list for the rears. Perhaps one for every 30-40 pounds difference in vehicle weight with the options it was built with.

Left and right springs can indeed be slightly different stiffness.

So besides the VIN of a similar vehicle, you need to look deeply to make sure it is VERY similar, such as 4WD, I6 versus V8, etc.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your clarification. Fortunately the vehicle I took the VIN from was about identical to mine. 4.2 6 cly, 2WD, all the same options except for the air suspension, and paint color! :)

As for Left versus Right I guess it makes sense when you factor in driver on one side, where the gas tank hold the majority of the fuel etc.

Its always nice to hear from those more knowledgeable in these areas.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
Thanks for your clarification. Fortunately the vehicle I took the VIN from was about identical to mine. 4.2 6 cly, 2WD, all the same options except for the air suspension, and paint color! :)

As for Left versus Right I guess it makes sense when you factor in driver on one side, where the gas tank hold the majority of the fuel etc.

Its always nice to hear from those more knowledgeable in these areas.
Hello Stuart,

I am ditching my air bags for springs as well.

Do you still have the VIN number you used? I am trying to confirm if there are 2 different springs used. It sounds like you have the same truck I do (03 XL, 2WD, SLT, 6 cyl.), but I can't find any local trucks with similar equipment to use their VIN numbers.

I would like to double check this before I order my springs.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
I wanted to answer my own question for the benefit of others in the future.

I was able to determine that some Envoy XL's and Trailblazer EXT's do in fact use one 15207608 and one 15207609 springs. But some use two of the 15207608, and some use two of the 15207609. There was not a pattern between 2WD/4WD, Envoy/Trailblazer, or I6/V8.

I used two of the 15207608 since they were the cheaper springs, and everything is working great.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts