Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2004 Envoy XL. My battery is draining to the point where it will not start after 3-4 hours. Did the parasitic draw test and found 12.5 volts on the negative to ground. Pulled all fuses and relays and had no change. When disconnect the power lead from the post on the under hood fuse box is goes away. Alternator seems to work well, 14.5 volts when the car is running and will keep running when the positive post is unhooked from the battery. Charged the battery (out of the car) and it went from 12.9v to 12.7v in 2 hours. I'm gonna let it sit all night and see if it drops anymore. Battery is 3 y/o Everstart. Thinking that's the problem, but wanted some more input.

Thanks All!!!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
474 Posts
For a parasitic draw test, one measures current draw, not battery voltage. You need to put a digital multimeter (DMM) that will allow 10 amps to run through it, and place the DMM in series with either one of your battery cables (preferably the positive one) and then start pulling fuses while monitoring how much current is being drawn from the battery by the vehicle.

Also, disconnecting the positive battery cable from the battery while the engine is running is not healthy for the alternator nor the vehicle's electronics. Doing this can result in a lot of dame and some very expensive repairs!!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts