Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Trailblazer LS, 136K miles, In-line six.
Battery goes dead overnight, when cold (-0 Deg. F) two to three days (40 Deg.+ F or above)
Remove 40 amp (green) fuse #34 ("top" second from left) in under hood fuse box. With fuse removed, battery never goes dead. Have suspicion of ignition switch, but not sure, Can’t seem to see excessive draw with a meter. Has anyone else had this issue.
Also, has had engine noise for a long time at idle (never better or worse). Seems like a diaphragm noise of sort.
Have tried engine oil additives and run high quality synthetic oil.

Cut and paste the below link into your browser to listen to engine noise on YouTube...
Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,144 Posts
Fuse #34 supplies power to the ignition switch and the starter relay. With key off there should be no connection to any other circuit. I would suspect the ignition switch first, since this seems to be a high failure part on our trucks.
Don't know what the engine noise is, but I would suggest removing the serpentine belt and see if noise goes away. If it does, then it is coming from one of the belt driven items.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks EnvoyBoy2004 for the reply... Was looking for some confirmation before I replace the switch, The noise is there with cerp off. Seems internal almost like a weird diaphragm (best I can describe) type sound. Same noise has probably been there for 50K miles and two trips to Utah. Not like a lifter noise though. Could a cracked manifold (where I can't see it) give me a sound like that? Also, if I listen inside the oil cap (removed) does not seem to be louder inside the engine. Thanks again.
:giggle:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
340 Posts

I would try pulling the starter relay (47) before replacing the ignition switch just to make sure it isn't a high resistance short in the starter wiring. But the odds are that it is the switch.

The noise also sounds like an exhaust manifold leak since it seems louder on the right side.Gasket? I assume the noise follows engine RPM.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
TB-A1..With the fuse out, there should be 12 volts when you touch both prongs with the VOM probes if the switch is bad, also how do you check the starter relay?...Thanks, Bill

Also, I am having battery drain, checked switch fuse connections (not fuse) there is no current draw there.Have been told to check alternator after sitting overnight, if it's warm indicates a draw there,

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
When I chased a battery drain, I disconnect the cables and check the resistance. If it's about a million ohms, you have no drain. But, if it gets anywhere near 20 or 30 ohms or less, then there is a serious drain. I'd check it with and without the relay removed. And I'd disconnect the battery, when not in use, until you figure it out.

Rob in AZ

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
6 Posts
Battery goes dead overnight, when cold (-0 Deg. F) two to three days (40 Deg.+ F or above)
Remove 40 amp (green) fuse #34 ("top" second from left) in under hood fuse box. With fuse removed, battery never goes dead. Have suspicion of ignition switch, but not sure, Can’t seem to see excessive draw with a meter. Has anyone else had this issue.
Also, has had engine noise for a long time at idle (never better or worse). Seems like a diaphragm noise of sort.

Cut and paste the below link into your browser to listen to engine noise on YouTube...
Thank you!

I had mine continuously coming up dead at random times. It ended up being my headlights. The relay went bad making them come on at random times killing my battery. I was good to go after swapping the relay out. That noise sounds gnarly. But if it’s been there for 50k.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts

Thank you!

Does the noise follow the engine rpm or the camshaft rpm? Can you hear it more when accelerating? Have you retrieved any of the scan codes yet?

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thank you!

Could be fan belt clutch. I had to replace mine last year. It is a fairly common issue.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer ext
3 Posts
I had this exact issue little over a year ago. I replaced the ignition switch. Happened again. Searched for 2 days to find the problem. Turns out I didnt install the switch correctly. There were a few videos on YouTube that show you exactly how to install it. Batter hasn't died since

·
Registered
gmc envoy_sle
18 Posts
Mine was a bad battery, replaced 2 weeks before problem started. Bit the bullet, took it to a local shop that I have dealt with before. First thing they did was a battery load test, replaced battery, one week out, so far, so good.
BTW, The battery was only a couple weeks old.

Bill

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
29 Posts
The noise you describe reminds me of piston slap. Modern engines sometimes have this but it usually goes away at operating temperature. My dad had a '69 Chevy pickup that did it from new and never stopped, it was still doing it with 148K on it when it went to the bone yard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts