Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are threads on how to paint mirror covers. But what im looking for is how to do the painting process. I bought, adhesion promoter, dupli-color white primer, dupli-color color match, and dupli-color clear coat all in rattle cans. I am in no way a painter, but would appreciate any advise or tips. I need to know things like....

Prep work: cleaning, stripping
Sanding: what grit?
Wet sanding: when and best method
spraying process: how many coats

Any other advise would appreciated.
I apologize if this has already been asked but I couldnt find what I needed

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
280 Posts
If you cant find anything here try a google search. Checkout youtube too. Plenty of How To's in text or video.

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Tons of threads with people giving their versions of the painting process they used on any number of pieces on their truck. :coffee

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
234 Posts
I know there are threads on how to paint mirror covers. But what im looking for is how to do the painting process. I bought, adhesion promoter, dupli-color white primer, dupli-color color match, and dupli-color clear coat all in rattle cans. I am in no way a painter, but would appreciate any advise or tips. I need to know things like....

Prep work: cleaning, stripping
Sanding: what grit?
Wet sanding: when and best method
spraying process: how many coats

Any other advise would appreciated.
I apologize if this has already been asked but I couldnt find what I needed

Prep work: cleaning soap water.. don't need to clean them so much in the beginning because your sanding them down.
Sanding: Wet sand with both 400 and then use 1000 for a nice finish.
I did sand-primer-sand-primer-sand-primer just to get it smooth and ensure my coats will stick.
spraying process: I did 5 coats of match color, with 5 coats of clear. Just because the bugs hit the mirror and so do rocks.

Don't think the 1st or 2nd or even 3rd coat will cover all your areas, if you paint to match you take it slow and ensure that you don't put too much paint on it. If you do, you'll get that paint crack look.. then u have to re-sand and do it over again. Once you have ur final coat wait for a while then go lightly over with the clear.
GL hope to see a pic after word. Ill send one soon as well.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prep work: cleaning soap water.. don't need to clean them so much in the beginning because your sanding them down.
Sanding: Wet sand with both 400 and then use 1000 for a nice finish.
I did sand-primer-sand-primer-sand-primer just to get it smooth and ensure my coats will stick.
spraying process: I did 5 coats of match color, with 5 coats of clear. Just because the bugs hit the mirror and so do rocks.

Don't think the 1st or 2nd or even 3rd coat will cover all your areas, if you paint to match you take it slow and ensure that you don't put too much paint on it. If you do, you'll get that paint crack look.. then u have to re-sand and do it over again. Once you have ur final coat wait for a while then go lightly over with the clear.
GL hope to see a pic after word. Ill send one soon as well.
I will update with pictures as soon as I do it. Also, did you use adheasion promoter? thank you

·
Banned
2005 chevy
6,469 Posts
Some people do, some people don't. That's why it was recommended to find a few threads where people detailed their methods. Many ways and combinations to accomplish your goal. Some use primer, some use adhesion promoter, some use both. Just have to figure out what works best for you. :m2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts