Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to paint my exterior faded trim since I bought my TB 18 months ago. I've read all the threads and contemplated what to do.

I want to paint the trim (bumpers,rockers,molding,handles..etc) back to how it looked from the factory. I know all of you have painted the plastic black, but that's not exactly what I want. I don't want it glossy at all, no clear coat, just for it to look like it did in 2002.

I plan on ordering the Bulldog adhesion promoter, but I don't know what paint to use. Has anyone found a good dark gray trim/plastic paint to use? If not I suppose I can settle for the black. My truck is pewter metallic so black might not look right, which is my biggest concern. Keep in mind I want it to retain the plastic look and feel.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :thx

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,061 Posts
then do it to it.:)

easy to do but takes time since you have to tape it off but well worth it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
I have seen plastic specific paint sold in Wal Mart. I know they offer satin and flat black as well as other choices. There is no real specific treatment required prior to painting other than a clean surface. The paint eats into the plastic and is very permanent. Now if I could just remember the brand name?????

I did use this on some indoor plastic parts I have never used it outdoor. It covered very nice for a spray can and looked very good.

Let us know how this turns out for you! Id like to touch some of mine up too!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have seen plastic specific paint sold in Wal Mart. I know they offer satin and flat black as well as other choices. There is no real specific treatment required prior to painting other than a clean surface. The paint eats into the plastic and is very permanent. Now if I could just remember the brand name?????

I did use this on some indoor plastic parts I have never used it outdoor. It covered very nice for a spray can and looked very good.

Let us know how this turns out for you! Id like to touch some of mine up too!
Got it! Fusion for Plastic by Krylon.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Got it! Fusion for Plastic by Krylon.
i second the Krylon paint, no primer or other prep needed except cleaning the plastic before spraying. i went thru 3 cans doing both bumpers, side rockers, door mouldings and door handles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How long has the paint been on? I haven't tried it on exterior items yet. I'm really curious about the durability

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
i second the Krylon paint, no primer or other prep needed except cleaning the plastic before spraying. i went thru 3 cans doing both bumpers, side rockers, door mouldings and door handles.
you used krylon and it matched your factory color???:confused:.....................scratch that, i just saw you painted them black not color matched.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
yeah i painted them black. not much choice for my color and i think it looks good. the back has been on for a couple weeks now and its been raining alot and still looks good.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
370 Posts
Duplicolor

Has everything you need. Adhesion promoter, anything. Try Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys, o'reilly's, CSK, etc.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
122 Posts
I gotta see pics if you do yours, DCS! I've been wanting to do this for a while now myself, but the pewter color has me wondering about black vs. grey, too. I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to look too much into it, much less have the time to actually do it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Has everything you need. Adhesion promoter, anything. Try Advance, AutoZone, Pep Boys, o'reilly's, CSK, etc.
i went to autozone and they didnt have it nor could they get my color.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
619 Posts
I've used Mar-Hyde black satin trim coating spray paint and it did wonders for me. You can purchase it at Autozone or O'reillys.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts