Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
`ok so some of you know that we painted the center arm! my question is how do you get the paint off without messing up the material? we cant use it its really really sticky!!!

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
`ok so some of you know that we painted the center arm! my question is how do you get the paint off without messing up the material? we cant use it its really really sticky!!!
your gonna have to use some pain thinner or acetone on a rag and just scrub it,,then wash it off really good with soapy water.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
What kind of spray paint did you use? If you used Vinyl paint it shouldn't be sticky.

The only thing I can think of is lots of paint thinner but that would take a while depending on how many coats you put on. I would personally just go to your local junk yard and buy a new one. Shouldn't be more than $10.

If you want to paint interior parts, find vinyl paint. It works great. You can get some from summitracing.com. It's about $8 a can but well worth it.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
the reason its sticky is because the paint WONT dry {all i use is duplicolor}on the hard rubbery parts like the arm rest,shifter handle and passenger side air bag cover...i tried painting my shifter handle and the primer was still sticky 3 days later,,,,,you have to use a bodyfiller to cover it first THEN paint it,,you'll be fine then,,,thrust me i know what your dealing with since i just dealt with this issue last week:bonk::bonk:

·
Registered
826 Posts
O hopfuly that was vinyl pant or plastic pant , and if u cleaned it be careful it dosent have silicone in it ,silicone bad for painting ,but its in armerall,and stuf hopfuly you cleaned it first inside i use or out side if im going to paint i use palmolive if i can get it out to rinse ,it stripes all wax and windex will work if you cant get it out,things like janitor in a drum use to have silicone in it,anyway not sure how to strip thoe need to know what kind of paint enamil and so on or u can have a real mess

·
Registered
826 Posts
sorry got called away.ammonia cleans ,paint prep is the best ,,, if that was lacquer becareful with lacqure thiner ,works great but some plastics ack strange with it try a spot you dont see first

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
sorry got called away.ammonia cleans ,paint prep is the best ,,, if that was lacquer becareful with lacqure thiner ,works great but some plastics ack strange with it try a spot you dont see first
the armrest cover isint plastic though,,,its a hard rubber material so scrubbing with paint thinner or acetone will work great.

·
Registered
826 Posts
yea it is ,,lol sorry jayd1563 , i missed your earler post, acetone work great,and sorry about getting off track about silicone but when you put 500 to 1000 dollars in paint and some one put silicone on u get a little gun shy ,always prep your own car lol

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
yea it is ,,lol sorry jayd1563 , i missed your earler post, acetone work great,and sorry about getting off track about silicone but when you put 500 to 1000 dollars in paint and some one put silicone on u get a little gun shy ,always prep your own car lol
so your armrest "pad" is plastic?? huh 04 trailblazers must be different from my 05 voy.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
ya it would be nice to have them glossy like the outside!
since paint wont dry on that hard rubber you have to cover it in body filler..i had to do it to my shifter,passenger side airbag cover, and steering wheel spokes.....its very very easy to do,,you can get a small can of body filler at any parts store for less than 20bucks.......mix it up,spread it on,let it dry and sand it smooth....prime,paint and your good!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts