Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to trade school this morning with no issues. The truck sat there for a few hours and I used the remote start to fire it up when I was leaving. By the time I got to my truck it sounded like it was running on 5 or 4 cylinders. If you pressed the gas pedal you could get it to 2000 RPM and it would smooth out. As soon as you would let off it would idle very rough and you could really see the engine moving ( opened the hood to see if I could see anything unplugged or damaged wires). It was fairly cold out -13C (8F) so I didn't want to sit there all day and figured I would try to get back to where I am staying. It was in limp mode all the way back, good thing it was side roads the whole way.

I got my laptop and checked codes and it had
P1516 = Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P2101 = TAC Module Position Performance

By the time I tested it it sat for about 15 mins cause I had to re-install the software on my laptop. Once I got the codes I decided to fire it up and it ran great. I let it sit for an hour or 2 and went back out for a quick test ride and it was still running great.

Now seeing that we have been getting warm weather ( snow melting) then gets cold with more snow, plus I only drive it about 7km(4mi) round trip to and from trade school, that it never has a chance to warm up and moisture might be becoming a problem.

So should I be looking at the throttle body or the pedal in this case? The truck has almost 100,000kms(62,000mi) on it and I did clean the throttle body this summer along with new plugs. Battery was replaced 2 years ago.

Any help would be great.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Start by inspecting the throttle body connector and nearby wiring harness.

Is the battery voltage reasonable? Did you use Delco 41-103 plugs?

·
Registered
2002 non_gmt360 other
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Start by inspecting the throttle body connector and nearby wiring harness.

Is the battery voltage reasonable? Did you use Delco 41-103 plugs?

Yes on the plugs, only Delco will go in there.

I just went outside and the truck has been sitting for a little over 3 hours and battery is at 12.17V, considering the cold and the fact that the truck doesn't get 30 mins run time total ( to and from trade school) during the day with a couple starups, it's pretty good.

I did fire it up again and it's running fine still.

EDIT: since I didn't mention it, I had the Check engine light, the Reduced power light and the Stabilitrak light on. Not sure if Stabilitrak normally gets disabled during reduced power or not but thought I would add that.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
p2101 and p1516

I had the same problem with REP and p2101 and p1516. It pointed me to the throttle body problem, not in sync with the accelerator pedal. I did the wire tug test and inspection on the throttle body (TB) connector and it was fine. I then checked the air filter (was good). Then I took of the resonator and found that there was water and ice in it, enough to fill up an 8 ounce cup. It was below zero for the past week and the REP light had come on about 5 times while driving. So I cleaned and dried out the resonator and also cleaned the TB which was dirty. Have had no more problems with REP and p2101, p1516 since. That much water had accumulated in there in 2 years since I last cleaned the TB. From now on I will check it more often. Hope this helps. jeff 2007 trailblazer I6 4.2 308K miles.

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
This thread continues to deliver. I drove from Chicago to Cleveland last night. When I exited the tollway I got the Check Engine, Reduced Engine Power and Stability Control faults. I was able to pull the codes and I had the P1516 and P2101 code. Searching lead me to this thread.

I removed the intake resonator and it was very damp and the throttle body was very dirty. I cleaned out the intake resonator and throttle body, cleared the codes and it runs like a champ. This is good since I have to drive back to Chicago tomorrow.

Thanks to the original poster for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts