Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, back with another issue :mad:..
About 4 months ago I had a problem, I cant remember exactly what, maybe it was not shifting into 3 and 4.. anyway, I had a code for shift solenoids, so I replaced them.
Car still was a piece of garbage for the last 4 months, but it got me places and didnt complain too much.
The last couple days it occasionally bucked when shifting from 1 to 2. Today I get in to drive to work, get on the hill to leave my development and noticed, wow I'm not moving, I must have no 1st. So when I take off from a stop it takes... some time to actually move. And I believe it's either stuck in 2, or goes to 3 and has no 4, because at about 65mph it was screaming. But I had clients scheduled today so I had to get to work. Same code for shift solenoid b, so I just ordered 2 more solenoids hoping it buys me a few more months. What other issues have you guys seen associated with this, and what should I look for?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
472 Posts
Shift solenoids will not cause a no move condition. When the computer detects a solenoid fault it locks the trans into failsafe which is 3rd and reverse only.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shift solenoids will not cause a no move condition. When the computer detects a solenoid fault it locks the trans into failsafe which is 3rd and reverse only.
It's not a no move condition, I have a gear in D but dont know what it really is, it takes a long time to get up to speed though. I have reverse. And i can take off if i manually go into 1, but then 2 seems to do nothing, 3 seems better, then I'm fine in d once I'm moving

·
Registered
472 Posts
You stated "I'm not moving so I must have no first". I thought that was a no move condition. I'd check the fluid and scan for codes. Post it here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You stated "I'm not moving so I must have no first". I thought that was a no move condition. I'd check the fluid and scan for codes. Post it here.
Yes, at the time I was not moving, only rolling back until I really hit the gas. I thought I was in neutral at first, as I was on a hill.
I've checked the fluid, it was clean, as I drained and replaced the fluid and filter 4 months ago. The only code that comes up is the p0756 for shift solenoid b performance

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes, at the time I was not moving, only rolling back until I really hit the gas. I thought I was in neutral at first, as I was on a hill.
I've checked the fluid, it was clean, as I drained and replaced the fluid and filter 4 months ago. The only code that comes up is the p0756 for shift solenoid b performance
All things being equal a failed SS will cause the computer to lock the trans in failsafe which is third gear only. Sluggish performance and stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what should I do here? Is it safe to blow out the valve body? Or should it be removed and cleaned? The shift solenoids were replaced in july, with ac delco parts. The same as I have on my counter right now, but havent got a chance to open up the pan to check them out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So what should I do here? Is it safe to blow out the valve body? Or should it be removed and cleaned? The shift solenoids were replaced in july, with ac delco parts. The same as I have on my counter right now, but havent got a chance to open up the pan to check them out.
In my experience it's not the valve body but something electronic. The easiest thing to do is get under the car and make sure the harness to the trans is properly connected. Take it loose and reconnect it and you should hear an audible click when it locks in. Also disconnect the battery and reconnect it and see if the code comes back and if it works now. If the harness is connected good then drop the pan and read the resistance values on the solenoids. They should read close to 20 ohms. If they do then I can't really help much more over the internet, but if they don't ,if one does not show a reading or it is real high or low replace it.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
9 Posts
I had multiple solenoid codes and the transmission locking in third. Turned out that my 3-year-old ignition switch had burned contacts. New switch and all was well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: oddly enough the trans dipstick looked perfectly clean and full. But when I dropped the pan to change the solenoids, they kind of had a metal gunk on them, the magnet was totally burdened with metal flakes (even more than when I pulled the pan months ago and cleaned it all) the fluid is kind of murky and hazy looking, and the pan lights up like glitter when I shine a light into it.. metal powder everywhere, and no change when I put it back together.. I'm guessing the clutches are falling apart..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Update: oddly enough the trans dipstick looked perfectly clean and full. But when I dropped the pan to change the solenoids, they kind of had a metal gunk on them, the magnet was totally burdened with metal flakes (even more than when I pulled the pan months ago and cleaned it all) the fluid is kind of murky and hazy looking, and the pan lights up like glitter when I shine a light into it.. metal powder everywhere, and no change when I put it back together.. I'm guessing the clutches are falling apart..
The glitter is not coming from the clutches, but from metal parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts