·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peeps,
I need some advice here. Buick Rainier 2005 V8 – 69K miles
P0700 and U0101.
Very rough shift. Lurching, tire squeal, need to shift using the shifter, transmission display does not follow shifter or follows with a couple of seconds delay.
My questions:
Frame Grounds – Where are they located? I know of one on the driver side frame rail. Are there any others?
TCM – Where is that located? I replaced the ECM last year, I seem to recall the ECM ‘holder’ had another assy on the other side? I’ll check that, maybe I dreamt it if it does is that the TCM?
Has happened twice, both times when turning right and car is hot. Also throws the ‘Service Brake System’ light at exactly the same time. Though I have been plagued with Service Brake System messages over the years. I only just put the EBCM back yesterday after hitting the joints with solder…….I don’t think that is the fix for me at any rate.
Finally…please look at pic, the black mark is where the fluid is at hot. Guestimates on how over the full that is? You can just about see the full hole with a pink blob in it. I’m going to suck some fluid out and replace with AC Delco Dexron V1. What I have in currently is a partial replacement done by me about 7 K miles ago using Valvoline Max Life. I think I put about 2 or 3 quarts in, can’t recall but it should have been same amount what I extracted out. I have noticed over time how the initial engage into drive was heavy,….not sure about that Max Life and if that is involved in the issue.
Truck is killing me, I want to get it up and running and CarMax it.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm not gonna try to read your one big sentence - but your fuzzy, out of focus picture says that you look like you have a quart too much ATF in the unit. Not a bad problem and certainly won't cause much trouble.

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I think I'm going to pronounce this fixed. The issue became more prevalent and was accompanied by the shift selector display moving up and down the display regardless of what gear the transmission was in. This also happened frequently at idle. Displayed U0101 code. After a bunch of research on the web and looking at a Flashmasters replacement TCM for 80 USD I went ahead and replaced the TCM. All good so far, has idled and driven with no issues. It was plug and play from Flashmasters, no need to reprogram, just had to send them the VIN.
So....that's the ECM and the TCM both replaced....just wonder if there was some electrical surge or some other issue over the years. On the Rainier V8 they are both in the same location, back to back just below the battery area. Gets a lot of Texas heat in that area, plus the car goes straight into the garage after use so lots of heat build up over the years. Who knows, but kudos to Flashmasters for coming to the rescue for both the ECM and TCM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts