Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
So this an update on previous post that I cant find and dont want revive it.

Found out this 03 Trailblazer ext has a now expired GM recall for the gas tanks for a rollover check valve where the fuel filler hose connects to.

If you take it to a dealer or some shops they want to replace the entire tank for this p0442 code that wont go away after passing inspection on all other evap components and lines.

Smoke test the fuel tank.

Purge valve, vapor canister, ect we're all checked and cleaned.
Replaced them and they didnt need to replaced, gas cap ect.
If you look to where the fuel filler hose connects to the tank its sitting on a check valve and that check valve goes bad cracks or leaks from what I've read and watched.

Anyone had similar problems ?

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,051 Posts
I have a tiny leak that emits some gasoline smell for a while after I fill the tank - or with a 1/2 tank if I should get silly and go offroad and have to power through some deep mud to go tease the trout -- I get the same gas-smell.

I vow to "someday" fix it --- but so far I just tough it out.

But I agree with that valve junction getting bad as that's my problem too.

I just haven't checked much more on it yet.

·
Registered
2003 TB LTZ
20 Posts
I have a tiny leak that emits some gasoline smell for a while after I fill the tank - or with a 1/2 tank if I should get silly and go offroad and have to power through some deep mud to go tease the trout -- I get the same gas-smell.

Yours throwing a code? Mine just started ... with P0442

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
4,051 Posts
Yours throwing a code? Mine just started ... with P0442
Funny you should ask ... and for some reason I have totally spaced out on it.

No. Nada. Out of sight (although not out of smell) ... but it's out of mind except when I fill up and for the next 100 miles or so.

I figured if it was really bad enough ... it'd throw a code. Gasoline is very powerful of a smell and there may only be a small seepage at this time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a 2003 ext and suffered through the gas tank problem. The tank actually cracks around the stub tube where the filler neck connects. GM conveniently limited the recall to something like 100,000 mi to ensure that the recall would never apply. These fuel tanks are defective.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
86 Posts
You can get one of these replacement rollover valves.
Dorman

Ellis Automation Surplus
This looks better than the Dorman one, but I don't know a lot about it. Here is their Facebook page. Also a picture attached. Ellis Automation Surplus
Automotive lighting Product Font Audio equipment Electronic device

Here is another picture
Material property Auto part Gas Service Cylinder

·
Registered
56 Posts

Mine is doing this too, if I fill it over 1/2 tank or do donuts/anything that sloshes the fuel around it'll reek like a gas pump. I looked under and saw a small wet mark near the valve :( Why do new fuel tanks have to cost $700?! Lol I don't want to get a used one in case I have the same issue and spending that much on a fun truck seems silly so I do the same as you and just tough it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts