Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 622 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before getting yelled at, I cant search I dont have enough posts...

I have tried a few things as suggested on this forum (as someone was kind enough to search the forums and give me a few threads to look at):

1.) cleaned throttle body
2.) Pulled off check valve (pass side of engine) and cleaned it
3.) I tested the check valve -- Pulled off hose on cold start (could hear valve open and close) but i did not get any pressure off the hose

does this indicate that the air pump is shot? if so does anyone have a picture or a general location of where to look to get at this thing and maybe clean it or check the voltage / resistance going in?

I ask because I have been dealing with this for a couple of weeks and my inspection is over due, quality NYS policies say that my SES light cannot be on even though the truck is fully functional cept for some global warming issues xD

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
There is nothing in the site rules that states you need a certain number of posts to be able to search. I was searching before I became a member. Makes no sense that a guest can search and a new member can not.

Have you tried??

PS, I am not yelling ..... honest

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is nothing in the site rules that states you need a certain number of posts to be able to search. I was searching before I became a member. Makes no sense that a guest can search and a new member can not.

Have you tried??

PS, I am not yelling ..... honest
Weird when I signed up the search wasn't there but either way you didn't actually answer the question, please stay on topic...my truck problem :thx

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Weird when I signed up the search wasn't there but either way you didn't actually answer the question, please stay on topic...my truck problem :thx
So are you saying you now have the search function??
I am trying not be hard to get along with, but when I enter P0410 I get 23 hits.
One or more of those threads should be able to help you.

BTW, it's P(zero)410

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So are you saying you now have the search function??
I am trying not be hard to get along with, but when I enter P0410 I get 23 hits.
One or more of those threads should be able to help you.

BTW, it's P(zero)410
yes I have searched, look at my post then compare it with what all those posts say, if you can find one that offers a different solution than what I said by all means prove me wrong

·
Registered
35 Posts
:woohoo:

I have tried a few things as suggested on this forum (as someone was kind enough to search the forums and give me a few threads to look at):

1.) cleaned throttle body
2.) Pulled off check valve (pass side of engine) and cleaned it
3.) I tested the check valve -- Pulled off hose on cold start (could hear valve open and close) but i did not get any pressure off the hose

does this indicate that the air pump is shot? if so does anyone have a picture or a general location of where to look to get at this thing and maybe clean it or check the voltage / resistance going in?

I ask because I have been dealing with this for a couple of weeks and my inspection is over due, quality NYS policies say that my SES light cannot be on even though the truck is fully functional cept for some global warming issues xD
p0410 secondary air injection valve malfunction..

will post some picture in a while

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is the check valve, It has already been cleaned and shown to work (open and close)...
that is the secondary air injection valve cleaning it wont fix the electrical issue. i had my cleaned and look good but i still had the code. and is a solenoid valve thats all it is.. it may open and close but if the feed back signal isnt there you wont make the code go away!!

type www. obd-codes.com/p0410 all together no spaces thats the definition!! just incase you want to see it your self.

·
Registered
1 Posts
replaced battery/alternator/ won't start

Hello, I replaced the alternator and battery in my 2002 Trailblazer and it still won't start, any ideas what it could be? I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks.:thx

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello, I replaced the alternator and battery in my 2002 Trailblazer and it still won't start, any ideas what it could be? I'd appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks.:thx
thanks for hijacking my thread, but starter motor (fuse first) would be my first check

quirno thank you, do you know how to test to see if the signal part is working? I am starting to think that its the air pump itself, If the check valve is replaced should the light go out immediately? if so I guess I can go to the dealership and pick one up and if it doesnt go out just return it and get the pump.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thanks for hijacking my thread, but starter motor (fuse first) would be my first check

quirno thank you, do you know how to test to see if the signal part is working? I am starting to think that its the air pump itself, If the check valve is replaced should the light go out immediately? if so I guess I can go to the dealership and pick one up and if it doesnt go out just return it and get the pump.
it does if you disconnect the batery for a while, if you do that make sure your AC is off when disconnecting it and pluging it back also!! or you may run into actuator problems!! also when you conected it back wait for a few minutes before you turn on you AC. or it'll go away after you start you car five times from a cold state to a runing condition ( a couple of days)...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The service engine light will not go out on it's own. You have to reset it. Best way is disconnect the negative battery terminal. The light will go out. Then you have to drive 50 to 100 miles before the on board monitor will reset. If the light comes back on the problem didn't go away..

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I should say I finally beat the computer I am going to start a new thread in where I detail the 410 code and how to fully diagnose the problem. To those that say: replace the check valve and it does it, would be wrong!

It was the relay that is mounted next to the pump that caused my code.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chunk351,
I have a P0410 code also and would like to read your troubleshooting guide.

Thanks
Just know that diagnosing this is time consuming since the "system" is only active for a few seconds on cold start.

for now:
1.) wait for your car to be "cold" or 4 hours. Disconnect the hose from check valve (located passenger side--the transmission dip stick is attached to the bolts that hold it to the block). Start the truck, you should hear a nasty sound for about 30 seconds to a minute. If you don't its your check valve.
1a.) If it is your check valve, you can try to clean it. Get some throttle body cleaner, remove the check valve spray thouroughly (I did it a couple of times to get all the carbon and rust out) and let dry reinstall and follow above instructions. If no go replace check valve

2.) wait for your car to be "cold" or 4 hours. remove the fattest hose from the underside of air intake hose (I think thats where it is, I have a CAI so Its hard to know where it is exactly OEM) and from the check valve. Have someone else start the truck. Feel the hoses, you should feel sucking and blowing (I can't remember which is supposed to blow / suck) If you don't feel anything then its the pump (maybe -- read further)
2a.) check fuses there are about 3 in the manual listed for air pump (if bad fuse replace and retest, make sure to check the fuses after to make sure that the pump isnt blowing fuses)
2b.) Locate the air pump its driver side mid car just behind the cross member for the frame. There are two wiring harnesess one that goes into the relay (grey box) and one that has two fat wires (thats the power plug for the pump.) disconnect that one, wait for cold start and start truck while having a multimeter attached set on DC mode. If you get a reading of 0 then replace the relay. if you get power 12-15 volts replace the motor.
3.) If both the check valve and the pump are testing out ok it could be a clogged hose.

Hopefully that was helpful I will try to get some pictures of the parts and post this in a clean thread

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Secondary air injection (P0410)

I went through this already. The Dealer wanted to replace all of the system for about $800. The local shop wanted about $600. There are only 3 parts to this system, Check Valve ($125), Air Pump ($280) and Relay ($50). On a cold start, you should hear a high pitched whine for about 60 seconds. That would be the air pump doing its job. It is easier to hear with the door open because it is right under your butt. If you don't hear it, check the relay. Mine was apparently hit with road debris and by letting it go for so long (because I wasn't due for inspection), it caused the check valve to seize. You can check the air pump by disconnecting the wire harness plugs and the 2 hoses (they have a plastic ring that you squeeze together to release them), unbolting the bracket and removing the pump assy. Then using heavy guage test leads, momentarily connect it to the battery to see if it runs (WARNING: the air pump draws alot of current and is very tourqey, so don't be surprised by the spark AND the movement by the pump. The SES light WILL turn off by itself after 3 or 4 cold start cycles.

Lots of luck,
Rheasdad

PS Make sure you check the status of the I/M monitors. If they are all not at go status, you will fail inspection, even though there is no SES light. The catalyst one takes the longest to set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
P0410 DTC, Secondary Air Injection

First off, a big huge thank-you to Rheasdad for the step by step diagnostics on this. I owe you a cold one pal. And thanks to the rest of you for your information as well. I found this site researching a P0410 DTC and how to correct it, and found everything I needed. My issue wound up being the relay (GM part# 15319851) just forward of the Air Pump under the drivers side, NOT the relay inside the fuse panel under the hood. Total cost was just under $40...from a dealership no less. Probably could have gotten it cheaper if I was willing to wait, but I just wanted the Envoy fixed. Again thanks to all who contribute to this site. Good job!

·
Registered
3 Posts
P0410 Dtc

Ooops, Sorry chunk351...your the one I owe the cold one too. Thanks, your step by step made this relatively easy. I followed it exactly and found that problem extremely quickly. I would have been lost with out!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ooops, Sorry chunk351...your the one I owe the cold one too. Thanks, your step by step made this relatively easy. I followed it exactly and found that problem extremely quickly. I would have been lost with out!
no problem, glad I could help. I figured I would turn my experience into something positive...lemons into lemonade

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great diognostics, thanks

Had service engine PO410. Checked fuses and relay. Found solenoid valve by locating transmission dip stick bracket, disconnected hose at valve by squeezing lock ring an pulling, disconnected larger air pump hose at bottom of air intake same way. Waited until truck was cool, started truck and comfirmed good suction and discharge at open hoses (air pump works). No noise coming from disconnected sol. valve.

Removed valve, connected to 12V at battery and had no movement of plunger. Removed 3 screws and seperated valve body. Cleaned it up and broke disc loose. Confirmed operation w 12V at battery. Reinstalled.

Thanks again. Probably saved me five hundred.

1 - 20 of 622 Posts