Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, with 89,000 miles.

Motor is the Vortec 4.2 I6.

Has code P0340 (Cam position).

Car was occasionally stalling.

Replaced the exhaust cam VVT actuator. The actuator was leaking internally and there was oil in the connector. Cleaned connector and installed actuator. Also replaced (non ACDelco) Cam position sensor.

Car now run flawless, no stumbling, no fuss.

But car still throws a P0340 code. I don't have a tool to be able to graph the cam sensor values. I did test the actuator and it has 12V at start up and does actuate (I bench tested it).

Not sure where to go from here.

My only thought is the sensor may be flaky since it's off name brand and it needs an AC Delco sensor. Not sure where to go next with this.
Perhaps I need to turn the motor manually to see if the cam sensor is signalling the computer. I don't have a graphing device (only a multi meter)
so I am shade tree handicapped.

I should note there are no other codes and truck runs/drives great with no issues.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
34 Posts
hello a few years ago I was getting a cam sensor code can't remember which one but after searching and trying different things I found out that the oil the shop used when I had it changed was not a very good oil[cheap] I changed it myself with a good name brand and haven't seen the cam code since. hope this helps don

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to update this. Replaced the cam sensor with an AC Delco brand and no more check engine light. The pins on the generic version didn't look at long, so perhaps there was a connectivity issue. But the new part fixed the issue. My truck is running great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts