Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK....I have been battling this p0106 code for awhile. Everytime I do something, I think I got it licked. It first came on like 6 months ago. The truck has never ran bad when it came. I had replaced the airfilter , MAP sensor, and cleaned the intake tube when it first came on. While I was under the hood I checked for vaccuum leaks, and couldn't find any hoses that were in bad shape. Code went away. I then had the dreaded air pump/air pump check valve issue come up. Couple months ago, it gets cold out, and I wound up fixing that finding a broken wire going to the relay under the truck. In the process of doing that, I had taken off the check valve and when I did I dinged up the metal gasket. I had noticed a ticking sound when the truck was at higher RPMs, like an exhaust leak at the manifold. After about a week of that, the p0106 code came back on. I went right to the dealer, replaced the gasket with a new one and the code instantly went away. Thought I had created and fixed my own problem. Week later, code comes back. Replaced airfilter again (I put a lot of miles on), replaced sensor for the second time (freebie under autozone warranty), and the code went away again. Now the code is back again, and this time I am noticing poor performance in the engine, I actually had to give the truck a little gas to get it started once today...I keep reading about the throttle body cleaning, thats my next step. If I somehow missed a common cureall for this problem, please let me know what it is. Sorry for dragging this out too....figured the more ifo you guys have the quicker I can get some good suggestions on fixing this. Inspectoin is due at the end of April and the also have to pass Emissions with no check engine lights on. Kinda important I fix this thing for good and not have the light come back on like the day I'm taking the truck into the shop.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
What year and how many miles? Anything above about 30K and the TB cleaning is the #1 suspect for all sorts of bad things.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 2004 with 120,000 miles on it. I got it a year ago and I have noticed the performance dropping off a little bit over the last 15000 miles. Since the CEL came on the last time, I have noticed the rough idle and just seems to be quite sluggish. I don't think the fuel economy has varied much though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i cleaned the throttlebody and it seems to be better, reset the computer, and it didn't come back on yet. still open to more ideas incase the code comes back

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
How gunky was the TB after 120K miles? Good luck with the code. Typically if it's not the sensor ot a dirty TB, it's a leaky vacuum hose you just haven't found yet. At least there aren't a lot of vacuum powered components like distributor advance gadgets and HVAC actuators under the dash like the old days.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the throttle body was pretty gunked up. took almost a whole can of STP throttle body & intake cleaner to get it cleared up. the truck does seem to idle a lot smoother now, but after resetting the computer i got a check engine light back on. didn't have it read yet, but i'm going to assume its the p0106. i geuss its just time to go back over all the vacuum hoses and check em out again. at least its warm out now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok...so my truck loves to play with my emotions. after going over all the vacuum lines again, i decided to drive down to autozone and have the code read. its a secondary air injection code. the broken wire i had fixed going to the relay under the truck had corroded in half again because i didn't heat shrink or electrical tape the connection at all. so after fixing the wire and wrapping it up plenty well this time i reset the computer again and now i'll just wait and see if another code is thrown. does anyone know where i can get a replacement plug for the relay mounted next to the air pump motor? i don't want to call the dealer and i didn't have any luck with junk yards a little while back.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Parts places often have relay connectors in the replacement wiring section, but not sure about that one. You can also find them at places like rockauto.com for $32:

ACDELCO Part # PT1384 More Info {4-WAY FEMALE GRAY #15306331}
CONNECTOR,RLY-SECD AIR INJN PUMP
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 3 business days

Odd - it costs 50% more than the relay!

Another resource is to match the item to pictures on the AC Delco site, such as this:

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pi/wiring-connectors/gm/pigtails/4-cavity/female/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I didn't want to jump the gun again and think I fixed the problem. But after a little over a week of driving including a little roadtrip to Cabellas, I think its safe to say the throttlebody cleanout fixed the p0106 for me. I now have a new problem. Everytime I get gas, my truck has a hard start. I have to crank it for like 10 seconds before it fires. I'm thinkin fuel filter and that it is just a coincidence, but if there's anything else I can do give me a heads up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts