Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am getting DTC P0017. Engine is running fine. Car starts on first tip. Cruise control is working. Changed the oil solenoid but still getting P0017. Need help to get rid of CEL. One observation, code comes back when idle or slow speeds.
Product Communication Device Gadget Font Material property

·
Premium Member
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,237 Posts
Check the connectors to both the crankshaft position and camshaft position sensors. Make sure the wires going into the connector body are secure. Remove the connectors and make sure that the contacts are clean. If oil runs out of either sensor, then it needs to be replaced. FYI - DO NOT REMOVE the crankshaft position sensor unless you absolutely have to! If you do, then you will need to perform a CASE relearn procedure or you'll need to take it to a shop that has a dealer level bi-directional code reader/live data scanner in order to perform the procedure.

If you remove or replace the camshaft position sensor, a CASE relearn procedure is not necessary.

Odds are you likely have a bad electrical connection or a failing camshaft sensor. Here is how to test the camshaft position sensor:

Here is how to test the crankshaft position sensor:

Also, what brand of camshaft position actuator solenoid did you install?

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
OK on the VVT. You got a good one.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
First -

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY - REMOVE THE APPROPRIATE FUSE(S). Why? Because when you reconnect the battery, the HVAC actuators inside of the dash are commanded to run a recalibration procedure which stresses the old brittle plastic gears inside the actuators and the brittle plastic gears break and leaves you unable to control where the air comes out, or control the temperature of the air, etc. Replacing at least one of them literally requires the removal of the entire dash! So, if you ever need to actually disconnect the battery, such as in the case of needing to install a new battery, be sure and use some kind of Keep Memory Alive device to avoid the HVAC actuator recalibration routine.

Second - ANYTIME the crankshaft position sensor is "disturbed" (meaning taken out, looked at and reinstalled, or a new one is replaced) a CASE relearn is required. Does not matter if the battery is connected, disconnected or you twirl a dead chicken by the neck over the engine bay, the CASE relearn must be done or driveability problems can result.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
What year and engine is your TrailBlazer?

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Thanks! I just realized you posted the year in the title. My error, but at least we now know which engine.

The most likely causes of the P0017 are bad sensors or a wiring issue. So, if the new sensors do not get rid of the P0017 DTC, then I would go over the wiring from the sensors to the ECM.

Here is some more information on the P0017:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,982 Posts
Out of curiosity, what software are you using and could it be the software is not sending the correct commands for activating the solenoid to the PCM?

Also seems odd to see camshaft position sensor being reported as rpm. I normally see this reported as an angle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts