Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

P0016, P0340, and P0303

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Trailblazer Jig 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone!,
I am new here, but have been a long time lurker for information about fixes when my moms envoy acts up. Well the other day I drove the Envoy to school because my crownvic was blocked by the envoy and right as it started up it was misfiring and running really really rough. I then learned that my mom ignored the check engine light since Christmas because she didn't want to trouble me.

Anywho, I pulled the codes and had a P0016. I did some research here and decided due to age of the OEM components and caution ( mom likes to freak out over the car) I replaced the Camshaft position sensor, Camshaft actuator solenoid, and the Crankshaft position sensor.

Then once I reconnected the battery things got worse. I then had a P0300 multiple misfire and backfiring like crazy. I pulled the plugs and noticed that #3 was very oily and gunky. I then decided to replace the valve cover gasket and the intake gasket. I did this by the book over the weekend. The valve cover gasket was shot and the intake ports were very clogged. ( gm should have done something about this oil residue build up).

I replaced the gaskets with felpro gaskets and while i was there cleaned the gunk out of the throttle body, intake manifold and that hose on the intake manifold. I also replaced and tested with my bench multi meter the new delphi coils and the plug connectors. Everything is Kosher with the coils and power delivery.

The spark plugs I installed were oem acdelcos. The same # that were on the original. I also did a oil change and new air filter. After all this I still have a terrible misfire, and a P0016, p0303 and a P0340. I Have double checked all the connectors, cleaned them with electrical connector spray, and I have as of today changed my fuel filter along with a tank of shell gas, drove around town to see if it did anything.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Do I have to do something with the pcm since I installed new cam/ crank sensors? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Things I did so far to remedy the misfire:
New camshaft sensor (one in the front under the oil cap)
New Camshaft actuator (next to the power steering pump)
New Crankshaft Sensor ( under car by the starter)
New Valve Cover gaskets ( Torqued to spec, visually checked the cams and everything looked good)
New intake gaskets ( throttle body gasket also)
New vacuum lines ( fuel pressure diaphragm, brake booster, wipers, etc. )
New coils and plugs (acdelcos and delphi coils)
New MAP sensor ( The sensor on the intake manifold)
New Fuel filter and Filled up with good shell gas( only name brand near me)
New air filter and Oil change ( mobli 1)
Checked all ignition wires for Voltage and ground using a Key-sight multi-meter.
Also checked battery and fuses.
Everything done so far has been by the book in my garage with my father( retired Gm engine builder) and I(Mechanical and Electrical engineer grad student) .
Current error codes : P0016( crankshaft camshaft position correlation), P0303 ( #3 misfire), and P0340(camshaft position A circuit).
Again, thank you in advance for any and all input!!!!

-Tucker

edit: punctuated and formatted.

See less See more
#2 ·
I tried!

I really REALLY tried to read your post - but without some punctuation and breaking some paragraphs - I just gave up.

It looks like an interesting post - it's certainly long enough to pique my curiosity -- but I'm old and kinda going blind --- or will go blind if I try to read your post - so I have an excuse.

Please punctuate it and repost so I can have a stab at an answer for you. I like answering questions --- that I can read.

#6 ·
I tried!

I really REALLY tried to read your post - but without some punctuation and breaking some paragraphs - I just gave up.

It looks like an interesting post - it's certainly long enough to pique my curiosity -- but I'm old and kinda going blind --- or will go blind if I try to read your post - so I have an excuse.

Please punctuate it and repost so I can have a stab at an answer for you. I like answering questions --- that I can read.
Im sorry about the long paragraph, Im on pc, and its clearly punctuated and structured into parts. It might look different on the phone.

The lowdown is I have a #3 misfire after replacing a faulty crank sensor and replacing all most the entire ignition / intake system.

#9 ·
when you replace the crankshaft position sensor you must do a relearn of the sensor. Without that your ignition timing will be incorrect likely causing your misfire.
The way to do this is likely beyond your ability due to a lack of proper instruments. You can refer to this or go to a dealer.

Thanks, I hope this gives you some guidance.

QUOTE="TuckersEnvoy, post: 1610325, member: 378713"]
Hello Everyone!,
I am new here, but have been a long time lurker for information about fixes when my moms envoy acts up. Well the other day I drove the Envoy to school because my crownvic was blocked by the envoy and right as it started up it was misfiring and running really really rough. I then learned that my mom ignored the check engine light since Christmas because she didn't want to trouble me.

Anywho, I pulled the codes and had a P0016. I did some research here and decided due to age of the OEM components and caution ( mom likes to freak out over the car) I replaced the Camshaft position sensor, Camshaft actuator solenoid, and the Crankshaft position sensor.

Then once I reconnected the battery things got worse. I then had a P0300 multiple misfire and backfiring like crazy. I pulled the plugs and noticed that #3 was very oily and gunky. I then decided to replace the valve cover gasket and the intake gasket. I did this by the book over the weekend. The valve cover gasket was shot and the intake ports were very clogged. ( gm should have done something about this oil residue build up).

I replaced the gaskets with felpro gaskets and while i was there cleaned the gunk out of the throttle body, intake manifold and that hose on the intake manifold. I also replaced and tested with my bench multi meter the new delphi coils and the plug connectors. Everything is Kosher with the coils and power delivery.

The spark plugs I installed were oem acdelcos. The same # that were on the original. I also did a oil change and new air filter. After all this I still have a terrible misfire, and a P0016, p0303 and a P0340. I Have double checked all the connectors, cleaned them with electrical connector spray, and I have as of today changed my fuel filter along with a tank of shell gas, drove around town to see if it did anything.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Do I have to do something with the pcm since I installed new cam/ crank sensors? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Things I did so far to remedy the misfire:
New camshaft sensor (one in the front under the oil cap)
New Camshaft actuator (next to the power steering pump)
New Crankshaft Sensor ( under car by the starter)
New Valve Cover gaskets ( Torqued to spec, visually checked the cams and everything looked good)
New intake gaskets ( throttle body gasket also)
New vacuum lines ( fuel pressure diaphragm, brake booster, wipers, etc. )
New coils and plugs (acdelcos and delphi coils)
New MAP sensor ( The sensor on the intake manifold)
New Fuel filter and Filled up with good shell gas( only name brand near me)
New air filter and Oil change ( mobli 1)
Checked all ignition wires for Voltage and ground using a Key-sight multi-meter.
Also checked battery and fuses.
Everything done so far has been by the book in my garage with my father( retired Gm engine builder) and I(Mechanical and Electrical engineer grad student) .
Current error codes : P0016( crankshaft camshaft position correlation), P0303 ( #3 misfire), and P0340(camshaft position A circuit).
Again, thank you in advance for any and all input!!!!

-Tucker

edit: punctuated and formatted.
[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.