Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Wanted to share my experience with a P0016 code. Started shortly after replacing my water pump and cleaning the throttle body (201K miles). At first it was intermittent, no check engine light and the only sign was my cruise control wouldn't work. Mind you my gas mileage was spot on, no loss of power. Scanned for codes and had a pending code. No SES light after restart, cleared code. Didn't come back until the next day (120 miles round trip daily). Again no light but also no cruise, though this time after turning the car on to return home the light popped. Cleared it and it immediately returned. Next day was intermittent, no code, no light and no immediate return.

Finally had a chance to inspect and the sensor separated from the housing. Easy fix thankfully enough but sharing my experience. Pretty sure I more than likely accidentally smacked the sensor putting the radiator shroud back in after replacing the water pump. Its simple enough to remove/protect so for anyone next time I might suggest getting that out of the way.

First glance I saw a minor gap
Light Motor vehicle Hood Gas Automotive exterior

then touched it and it moved quite easily with the gap widening
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Finally I gave it a gentle tug and it simply came out.
Automotive tire Bumper Finger Nail Thumb

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,515 Posts
I have to admit that I broke my CPS when I replaced my water pump in 2016.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah my sensor will arrive today so for I hit the plastic with some epoxy and let it sit overnight, no issues for in a pinch but will be good to have the correct fix.

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4.20 L
97 Posts
you know the year and model can be helpful for somethings. my 04 tblazer has little cubby holds in the back where i put replaced but functional parts, for posterity. like your sensor there.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
51 Posts
So a screw doesnt hold it in,its just hand pressed into that mounted location?? I took a dremel tool and done some cutting on the shroud where it passes by the upper hose neck protruding from the radiator. This allows you to keep the shroud closer to the radiator a little while dropping the fan/clutch & shroud in place.Reduces the chances of hitting the cps.
lm currently working on replacing my pump for the second time in 6 months.Not sure if the pump broke from fan clutch/blade weight or stress or possibly from the belt jumping off first then wrapping itself around the water pump causing the pump to break?? Its the latter most likely.
Sleeve Grass Wood Font Recreation

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The camshaft position sensor is indeed held in place with a fastener.

That is some nasty damage to the water pump!

Reactions: Mr. Sparky

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
51 Posts
The camshaft position sensor is indeed held in place with a fastener.

That is some nasty damage to the water pump!
Ok I thought it would likely use a fastener.Yeah its the first time Ive ever seen a pump break like that.The belt getting wrapped probably done it,but Im still unsure of what would have made the belt jump off in the first place.However I did notice that one of the fan blades had half of it missing,so that piece could have hit the belt or got thrown under the belt where it meets a pulley.The blade is wobbling ever so slightly now so it may also be possible that the wobbling caused the belt to slip off.
Im gonna try to locate another blade at Pull-A-Part tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Considering all the damage, i would replace the fan clutch as well. Any imbalance will shorten the life of the water pump and the fan clutch. Fan clutch is more delicate than the water pump.

Reactions: Mr. Sparky

·
Registered
2004 Trailblazer LS 4.20 L
97 Posts
yeah you may as well swap out that fan clutch. watch your torque on that pump. i think those bolts don't get torqued real hard, just very evenly. maybe over torqued one, could have thrown the balance off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts