Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 TB Ext 233,213mi. 4.2l V6
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the truck with the code on. I replaced the oil sending unit. I replace the VVT sensor twice and wiring pigtails. I replace the camshaft sensor and wiring pigtails. I cleaned the oil pickup tube, the oil pan and the bottom side of the engine. I also pulled the valve cover and clean the top side of the engine. I pulled about 2 cups of sludge out. I cleaned the valve cover and hoses . I also clean the intake on the Block and intake side . I replace some broken vacuum lines. Obviously new oil and filter twice. The engine is very quiet and has no knocks or rattles. The #$^& code is back on with the first drive cycle. Does this mean I need to replac or reprogram the ECM next. I did not see any update stickers in the door jamb. This is driving me crazy. I am trying to get it ready to pass Georgia emissions.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
400 Posts
The sludge might be the problem. With that much, check the screens behind the sensors. I'm not sure how that much could be cleaned out.
You also may need the cam phazer itself. Use a Tech 2 to check it's operation. The phazer should advance/retard with RPM's, and if I remember correctly, be at about 16 degrees at idle.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Sludge formation is NOT NORMAL in any engine, but it is a common problem in our Atlas platforms in that there IS a PCV System, but most people deny its existence.

Your engine(s) can be sludge-free if you only understand that there are many lies, half truths and old wives tales concerning their existence that I made a video or two about it.

If anyone wants to know more - they'll have to ask.

I shouldda called this video: "YOU TOO CAN BE SLUDGE FREE", since here I am presenting the observable condition in MY engine ............................ because my system works!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sludge might be the problem. With that much, check the screens behind the sensors. I'm not sure how that much could be cleaned out.
You also may need the cam phazer itself. Use a Tech 2 to check it's operation. The phazer should advance/retard with RPM's, and if I remember correctly, be at about 16 degrees at idle.
I will get this checked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sludge formation is NOT NORMAL in any engine, but it is a common problem in our Atlas platforms in that there IS a PCV System, but most people deny its existence.

Your engine(s) can be sludge-free if you only understand that there are many lies, half truths and old wives tales concerning their existence that I made a video or two about it.

If anyone wants to know more - they'll have to ask.

I shouldda called this video: "YOU TOO CAN BE SLUDGE FREE", since here I am presenting the observable condition in MY engine ............................ because my system works!

Thanks for the video. I did clean all of those out and the valve cover under the metal plate where that tube connects. The previous owner did not take good care of her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought the truck with the code on. I replaced the oil sending unit. I replace the VVT sensor twice and wiring pigtails. I replace the camshaft sensor and wiring pigtails. I cleaned the oil pickup tube, the oil pan and the bottom side of the engine. I also pulled the valve cover and clean the top side of the engine. I pulled about 2 cups of sludge out. I cleaned the valve cover and hoses . I also clean the intake on the Block and intake side . I replace some broken vacuum lines. Obviously new oil and filter twice. The engine is very quiet and has no knocks or rattles. The #$^& code is back on with the first drive cycle. Does this mean I need to replac or reprogram the ECM next. I did not see any update stickers in the door jamb. This is driving me crazy. I am trying to get it ready to pass Georgia emissions.
²

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
400 Posts
I'm really impressed how well you cleaned that out.
Since you have it apart, look at the cam phazer. The word Delphi should be paralell to the flat part of the valve cover on the head. If it's off just a hair, you've found the problem.
Be super careful not to drop the timing chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts