Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this is an overdone subject, but I'm new to the TB and have to get my two pennies in.

I just finished installing my Bilstein HD rear shocks. It's a three beer, 45 minute job. Couldn't be easier. Complete step by step process:

Set Parking Brake
Chock opposite tire
Beer and short "Should I really try this" thought
Loosen lug nuts
Jack up the rear side in question
Jack stand under the frame
Lower weight onto jack stand to extend suspension
Beer and consult with dog about whether to go through with this
Remove the tire
Remove upper bolt (18mm. Nut is fixed)
Remove lower bolt (18mm. Nut will spin until you realize that it is not fixed.)
Throw old shock near dog for fun.
Install shock with upper bolt first. (Upper bolt is not self guiding.)
Install lower bolt.
Figure out that torque wrench in toolbox is slightly undersized
Promise to get new torque wrench tommorow and tighten the crap out of the bolts.
Raise truck again
Reinstall tire
Remove jack stand
Lower truck
Tighten lug nuts
Lather, Rince, Repeat.

Have third beer, give dog a sip, hope shocks don't fall off on the way to Northern Tool in the morning for new torque wrench.

I hope to grow some larger Kahunas tonight before trying my new Harbor Freight Pitman arm puller and spring compressor on front tomorrow. (Apparently my life is worth $18 plus tax)

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
the pitman arm puller might scare some people.. it makes a loud bang when the lower strut mount is loosened off the bolt :eek:

I replaced my rear shocks and springs and front shocks and springs with DJM and Belltech... of course I had to grind off the top nuts for the front struts cuz they were rusted on..

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
I realize that this is an overdone subject, but I'm new to the TB and have to get my two pennies in.

I just finished installing my Bilstein HD rear shocks. It's a three beer, 45 minute job. Couldn't be easier. Complete step by step process:

Set Parking Brake
Chock opposite tire
Beer and short "Should I really try this" thought
Loosen lug nuts
Jack up the rear side in question
Jack stand under the frame
Lower weight onto jack stand to extend suspension
Beer and consult with dog about whether to go through with this
Remove the tire
Remove upper bolt (18mm. Nut is fixed)
Remove lower bolt (18mm. Nut will spin until you realize that it is not fixed.)
Throw old shock near dog for fun.
Install shock with upper bolt first. (Upper bolt is not self guiding.)
Install lower bolt.
Figure out that torque wrench in toolbox is slightly undersized
Promise to get new torque wrench tommorow and tighten the crap out of the bolts.
Raise truck again
Reinstall tire
Remove jack stand
Lower truck
Tighten lug nuts
Lather, Rince, Repeat.

Have third beer, give dog a sip, hope shocks don't fall off on the way to Northern Tool in the morning for new torque wrench.
:rotfl: great write up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paid $239.80 delivered at OffroadWarehouse.com because I didn't know that we get a 10% discount from ShockWarehouse.com when I ordered mine. Click on the link in the ads on the right. Theirs would be $226.62. As for the ride, it was 10:00 last night when I decided to work on the rear. When I was finished, the dog, my buzz and I joined the wife in bed. I'm going to take it out this morning and drive to the local garage to see what they would charge me to swap the front shocks. I would really rather spend my time today deciding whether to install my PCMforless transmission cooler or not this weekend. That doesn't require compressing a "giant spring of death or dismemberment" in the process.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems that no one stopped to consider what I was doing between getting off work and 10:00 at night. You have to warm up before attempting any task. The stretching (into the fridge) and lifting (12oz weights) took several hours! (I guess that I didn't mention my start time in the original post. Let's just say that I have to go back to the beer store today.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I chickened out on the front shocks. I'm going to take them someplace to be installed. I heard too many horror stories about springs going through car doors and concrete blocks today.

Decided to go to the range instead. It's about 20 minutes from my house and to be completely honest, I didn't notice any difference in the ride. The shocks that I removed were factory with 122k on them. This makes me want air bags for the rear springs now. Is there a rich family out there that wants to adopt a really really old kid with an accessorizing addiction?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I chickened out on the front shocks. I'm going to take them someplace to be installed. I heard too many horror stories about springs going through car doors and concrete blocks today.

Decided to go to the range instead. It's about 20 minutes from my house and to be completely honest, I didn't notice any difference in the ride. The shocks that I removed were factory with 122k on them. This makes me want air bags for the rear springs now. Is there a rich family out there that wants to adopt a really really old kid with an accessorizing addiction?
Hi, reedchsrv,

Hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread.

I received my order of the Bilstein HS - F4-BE5-A330-HO (Front) and F4-BE5-A335-HO (Rear) shock kit for $225.00 delivered and the Suspension Maxx SMX-10125 coil lift spacers for $108.00 delivered.

Due to extensive arthritis problems, I'm having a local mechanic do the install and laser alignment for another $300.00.

Total approximately $635.00 plus some taxes to bring it to $700.00.

Scheduled for Friday so I'll have a few after pics but none of the install - fortunately that's been well covered.

BTW - this is on an EXT so the lift should make it look a little prouder at the mall - big grin and a friendly poke in the ribs to off-roaders - man, what I'd give to be able to do that.

Got a couple of on ramps nearby to do a turning climbing speed test to see how stability is compared to the soft oem shocks.

Bill

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
when i did the front and rear shock with the bds and avalanche springs... i went through 2-3 cases of beer, about a total of 10-20 hours (didnt keep track.. this went on over 2 days) and went through about 8 shirts... keep in mind hand spring compressors and alot of rusted nuts and 90 degree days wit70-90% humidity... lol

so i earned my treat :raspberry

but nice write up...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fronts are expensive if you aren't doing them yourself. I have been quoted around $100+- per side for the front (with me supplying the shocks) and another $75 for the alignment. I plan to spend another week or so being really annoyed about this before deciding that any one of my fingers is worth more than that and having it done. It's really hard to have a cold beer with a hook for a hand. Actually, I work with a guy with a hook for a hand and he can do some really neat stuff, but after the tricks are over, I'd rather have all OEM equipment my chassis.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
The fronts are expensive if you aren't doing them yourself. I have been quoted around $100+- per side for the front (with me supplying the shocks) and another $75 for the alignment. I plan to spend another week or so being really annoyed about this before deciding that any one of my fingers is worth more than that and having it done. It's really hard to have a cold beer with a hook for a hand. Actually, I work with a guy with a hook for a hand and he can do some really neat stuff, but after the tricks are over, I'd rather have all OEM equipment my chassis.
when i had the shocks compressed i moved that thing around and ragged it on teh ground and had no problem... just if u do it urself make sure u hook it to the springs about 2 coils down or so.. not rite at the end so it doesnt slip off... just my :m2:

reminds me of this joke...

A sailor meets a pirate in a bar, and they take turns telling about their adventures on the seas. The sailor notes that the pirate has a peg-leg, a hook and an eye patch.
The sailor asks "So, how did you end up with the peg-leg?"
The pirate replies: "We were in a storm at sea, and I was swept overboard into a school of sharks. Just as my men were pulling me out, a shark bit my leg off."
"Wow!" said the sailor. "What about the hook?"
"Well," replied the pirate, "we were boarding an enemy ship and were battling the other sailors with swords. One of the enemy cut my hand off."
"Incredible!" said the sailor. "And how did you get the eye patch?"
"A seagull-dropping fell into my eye," replied the pirate.
"You lost your eye to a seagull-dropping?" the sailor asked incredulously.
"Well," said the pirate,"it was my first day with the hook..."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great joke. I'm going to be funny as hell at work tomorrow!

I appreciate the advice. I do most of my truck work with the dogs and between them and the beer, nobody has been able to convince me to do it yet. Should it seem odd that both the dogs and the beer have equally strong arguments?

·
South Chapter
4,487 Posts
Excellent write up. Sounds like one of the kind of projects I always jump at, and for some reason always end up running out for more beer before I'm finished. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
I received my order of the Bilstein HS - F4-BE5-A330-HO (Front)
I've been to the Shockwarehouse site and see that they offer this Bilstein shock/strut for the front. But I have also heard it recommended that the TBSS shock/strut is an equally good choice, if not better.

Where does one get the TBSS shock/strut (for an '03 Envoy), what's the part number, and how does it compare to that Bilstein?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've been to the Shockwarehouse site and see that they offer this Bilstein shock/strut for the front. But I have also heard it recommended that the TBSS shock/strut is an equally good choice, if not better.

Where does one get the TBSS shock/strut (for an '03 Envoy), what's the part number, and how does it compare to that Bilstein?

Thanks.

Mark
Hi, Folks,

We've all seen pics of assembled struts but has anyone ever done a pictorial of the total process of changing the fronts struts / shocks?

Almost like a strut change for dummies - removing the wheel, unbolting the top of the strut assembly at the top control housing, removing the bottom of the strut, compressing the coil spring, removing the shock and of course the reverse process.

I'm having mine done on Wednesday by a mechanic but unfortunately I'm at work with absolutely no way out otherwise it's something I'd do.

Bill

1 - 20 of 25 Posts