Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be as to the point as possible:

Sound coming from passenger side. When hitting bumps. Loud clanking at General speeds (15-50). Under certain circumstances the clanking can turn into a grinding. Also noted a card in the bike spokes noise upon reversal only from time to time. I've replaced shocks, struts, controls arms, ball joints. I can't seem to pin point this issue nor has my local shop...but they loved the $1600 spent a week ago to resolve the issue with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
2005 buick rainier
87 Posts

Sound coming from passenger side. When hitting bumps. Loud clanking at General speeds (15-50). Under certain circumstances the clanking can turn into a grinding. Also noted a card in the bike spokes noise upon reversal only from time to time. I've replaced shocks, struts, controls arms, ball joints. I can't seem to pin point this issue nor has my local shop...but they loved the $1600 spent a week ago to resolve the issue with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check body to frame mounts. For card in the bike spokes noise check the U joints.

·
Registered
gmc envoy_slt
22 Posts

Check sway bar links when there worn out they rattle also check the front axle disconnect it's best to remove it and grease the whole thing and check all the bearings

http://www.offroadtb.com/articles/tech-docs/front-axle-4wd-disconnect/

One other things would be to check the front diff im sure it would make noises if it's low on fluid since the driver's side seal is known to leak

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
7 Posts
I second the sway bar end links. I can't get mine to stay tight though. I replaced mine with the moogs after the good reviews from this forum. But I cannot get them to stay tight, so I get the clankin' noise again after 100 mi or so of quiet bliss. I must be doing something wrong. I have good air tools w/ a good compressor. I have noticed that the end link bolts' diameter seems too small for the sway bar hole.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
113 Posts
Had same issue clank noise while backing up turned out to be the heat shield that attaches to the body over the exhaust in back of transmission. Have no idea why it did it only in reverse.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
40 Posts
I second the sway bar end links. I can't get mine to stay tight though. I replaced mine with the moogs after the good reviews from this forum. But I cannot get them to stay tight, so I get the clankin' noise again after 100 mi or so of quiet bliss. I must be doing something wrong. I have good air tools w/ a good compressor. I have noticed that the end link bolts' diameter seems too small for the sway bar hole.
I went with [Rear] Suspension Maxx SMX-K666R, and [Front] Suspension Maxx SMX-K8082 instead of the Moog. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
40 Posts

I, too, was going to mention U-joints, but also check out the tie-rod ends. Has your steering been loose of late? -- then tie-rod ends would be my guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts