Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trilogy started with a bad water pump that threw/shredded belt. I replaced water pump only to find I had a bad oil leak. It looked as though it originated at front main seal. I then replaced fron main seal with GM seal and spacer.

However after reinstalling everything I still have an oil leak that wets the front of motor. It does not appear to be coming from valve cover but somewhere down front.

Can replacing the water pump cause an oil leak?? I am certain all bolts are tight.

I am certain front main seal is fine. The installation of seal went well--other than being a pain to remove and reinstall balancer.

Anyone else have an oil leak after changing water pump?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
258 Posts
Check the Camshaft Solenoid and it's electrical connector. They have been known to leak from either the connector or from the body of the solenoid (seal goes bad). Also, look around the camshaft position sensor to make sure it's not leaking there either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I hope it helps you track down the source of the leak. You also might want to check the bolts on the valve, rocker and and camshaft cover for tightness.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I had cleaned front of motor and then drove for a short distance. It appears to be front seal--- :(
There is a spray pattern that seems to be originating from behind harmonic balancer. Looks as though I will be tearing it down again. :(

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it is not too bad, you could try and run a High Mileage oil such as Valvoline High Mileage. I've read where after a couple of oil changes it can often significantly reduce oil leaks from seals. Of course your experience might be different than others. Of course if the seal is damaged, a high mileage oil likely will not work.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Faulty seals are the most common reason for failure. An improper seating, damaged seal, or misaligned gasket can mean the water pump is not operating efficiently or, worse, is under undue stress from misalignment. Improper installation will likely also cause immediate leakage from the mounting surface.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Faulty seals are the most common reason for failure. An improper seating, damaged seal, or misaligned gasket can mean the water pump is not operating efficiently or, worse, is under undue stress from misalignment. Improper installation will likely also cause immediate leakage from the mounting surface.

Thanks, it appears to be coming from behind harmonic balancer. :(

Would a faulty gasket on water pump cause an oil leak?? I would not think so---

·
Registered
258 Posts
Insaneradio, in a word, no. A faulty water pump gasket will only leak coolant.

autonoob, the thread is not about a malplaced or damaged water pump gasket. It is about an oil leak and trying to track the source of the leak down. Please read the entire thread before chiming in. I realize you are attempting to help, but please understand the context of the thread prior to posting so as not to lead it astray.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts