Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I spend this much, would someone check out what I'm ordering so I dont order the wrong ****? I got a '02 Trailblazer LT 4WD

Here's my Rock Auto shopping cart.

I noticed the driver side lower control arm ball joint oozed a bit of grease when I squeezed it so figured it should be replaced. All of the ball joints look a bit dry and crackly so might as well do the uppers and lowers on both sides.

I've changed all 4 sway bar links as well and I'm in the process of changing the struts as soon as I can get the strut assembly yoke arm off the control arm bolt :hissy:. I was thinking I should replace the strut mount at the top since wear and tear at 95,000 miles, it wouldnt hurt.

Please let me know what you think.

-Tony

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,329 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this post in time, but as for the strut removal, some folks have used a BFH, some succeed with a pickle fork, and most everybody else uses my recommended Pittman arm puller tactic.

I'll have to agree with the use of the Pittman Puller as the optimal tool. It just pops those stut mounts right off with ease...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I'll have to agree with the use of the Pittman Puller as the optimal tool. It just pops those strut mounts right off with ease...
And as a side benefit, the same size works on tie rod ends, where the pickle fork tends to destroy the boot if you want to re-use the item. (See my post soon in the offroad forum for who broke a tie rod end last weekend! :eek: )

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

A pickle fork worked fine, but I recommend leaving the upper strut mount bolts tight until you initially break it loose. It relieves the pressure and allows it to pop off.

I got the right ball joints, but only got the passenger side ones in so far.

I plan on getting the driver side ones in Thursday along with rear shocks and rear brake pads. So altogether I would've replaced all 4 shocks, front upper strut mounts, front U & L ball joints, all 4 sway bar links and rear brake pads (front pads were changed a couple months ago).

I'm not sure off the top of my head how much I spent but I try not to think about it... I just think about how much I saved doing it myself!

Plus it was completely worth it! Now I choose to drive it over my R/T Stratus...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts