Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while and I wanted to ask your opinions on a 05 Envoy XL. We love the wife's Trailblazer EXT so much, we decided to look at Envoy XL's with the 5.3 V8. We found this 05 Envoy at a local dealership and we love it, however, I've got some concerns and I would like you guys to give me your opinions. This vehicle is an 05 Envoy XL with the 5.3 V8 and as loaded out as you can get, the car has 33,677 miles and the exterior is excellent andthe vehicle drives and feels very good. The Carfax checks out with no problems, but shows that it was a lease vehicle and that vehicle's whole life was spent in South Dakota. Here's where my questions come up. The undercarriage and some other areas seem to have a lot of rust. I know it snows a lot in South Dakota and maybe it's from the salt, etc? Anyway, I'm going to post some pictures and I wanted your opinions on the rust issue as to whether it is normal or you think it is a car to avoid. Thanks!

ohp688

Attachments

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
That's not rust, that's a red patina. j/k That, to me, is not a lot of rust or any thing to worry about. But I live in the rust belt so I'm used to it.:m2:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,614 Posts
that rust on the undercarriage is quite normal... the rusted bolts inside is not...

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not rust, that's a red patina. j/k That, to me, is not a lot of rust or any thing to worry about. But I live in the rust belt so I'm used to it.:m2:
Yeah, you sure are! We don't get much snow, etc in Oklahoma, so I was curious if this is pretty normal rust for an area of the country that gets a lot of snow, etc. My concern was that the vehicle may have been in a flood. The rust on the bolts for the seat mounts seemed kind of strange.

ohp688

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The rusted bolts aren't that unusual. Getting snow, rain and high humidity on uncoated bolts will cause rust. Just make sure it is not a flood car.:m2:

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rusted bolts aren't that unusual. Getting snow, rain and high humidity on uncoated bolts will cause rust. Just make sure it is not a flood car.:m2:
Okay, other than a Carfax report (which was clear for flood damage), how would I check to see if it was a flood vehicle?

ohp688

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
kinda off subject but where in OK you from and what dealer you buying from.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
Is it a GM Certified used car? What warranty is included? Transmission lines also rust prematurely you may want to check those and replace if real rusty. The rest of the stuff looks like my 05 Ohio TB. You can also ask the dealer for service records.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
35 Posts
I have an '02 Envoy XL with 115k miles and after viewing your photos I went out and examined mine for rust in the same spots. I don't have any rust underneath the truck. The seat bolts look new, the shock mount is solid black paint. Maybe this is OK in rust belt states, but I don't think it's common for Okla. With only 33k miles it could be a good truck, but I'd check out the underneath of a few other vehicles for comparison. The rusted seat bolts are the ones that bother me.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Yeah, you sure are! We don't get much snow, etc in Oklahoma, so I was curious if this is pretty normal rust for an area of the country that gets a lot of snow, etc. My concern was that the vehicle may have been in a flood. The rust on the bolts for the seat mounts seemed kind of strange.

ohp688
But the truck is from South Dakota. Someone else will have to chime-in. Does S.Dakota get much snow in the winter and rain and humid conditions in summer?

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I do not believe it is a GM Certified used car. It does seem like a lot of rust for a car with only 33k, but then again, I figure this may be normal in states with different climates, snow, near the ocean, etc. I agree that the rust on the seat bolts make me wonder if that's normal?!?! I pulled some of the panels and looked underneath the carpeting. It doesn't appear it has been wet and does not have a musty, moldy smell. Not sure if I take a chance on this Envoy or not? Is there any maintenance or preventive maintenance for rust on the undercarriage, etc?

ohp688

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
I had to check my Envoy. I have slight surface rust on two of the bolts on the rear rail of the dr. side. However, the same bolts you show with the rust on the pass. side, are also rusted on mine. Not quite a rusty, but my Envoy is in the garage when I'm home, and I parked in a parking garage when I was working. In the first 5 years I owned the truck, I only cleaned snow off the windows a handful of times. And almost never had any one sitting in the back. So to make a long post longer, IMHO, Don't worry about that small amount of rust. If everything else looks good and the price is right, go for it.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
56 Posts
But the truck is from South Dakota. Someone else will have to chime-in. Does S.Dakota get much snow in the winter and rain and humid conditions in summer?

I just left South Dakota after being stationed there for two years. South Dakota gets a considerable amount of snow with several blizzards and other snow from November to May. As for the rust, everything in those pictures looks normal to me, at least for a "snow vehicle".

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
I will not purchase another vehicle with out a carfax report its worth the cost considering the costs of repairs if is a flood vehicle or had major repairs from a wreck

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, Good deal. I'm feeling much better about this Envoy now. It is extremely clean and really drives and feels great. There are tell tale signs that this Envoy belonged to a "soccer mom" with a couple of kids in child seats. I may just go for it, but that rust had me concerned! Keep the opinions coming! Thanks for your info!!! Oh, one more question, Would you guys do anything about the undercarriage rust? Clean, scrape, paint over?

ohp688

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,228 Posts
depends on how much time you have a nice calm weekend and a few rattle cans and a good wire brush would do i good even tho in oklahoma we dont get alot of snow or ice like up north the dot uses salt mix and we all know its corrosive i always get the belly washed after the roads get cleared up and powerwash the uderside in the spring (pull wheels set on jack stands and play in the water) and i still have some rust spots think gm fixed the body paint issue of the past but think they may have skimped alittle on the underside :duh:

Okay, Good deal. I'm feeling much better about this Envoy now. It is extremely clean and really drives and feels great. There are tell tale signs that this Envoy belonged to a "soccer mom" with a couple of kids in child seats. I may just go for it, but that rust had me concerned! Keep the opinions coming! Thanks for your info!!! Oh, one more question, Would you guys do anything about the undercarriage rust? Clean, scrape, paint over?

ohp688

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I had to check my Envoy. I have slight surface rust on two of the bolts on the rear rail of the dr. side. However, the same bolts you show with the rust on the pass. side, are also rusted on mine. Not quite a rusty, but my Envoy is in the garage when I'm home, and I parked in a parking garage when I was working. In the first 5 years I owned the truck, I only cleaned snow off the windows a handful of times. And almost never had any one sitting in the back. So to make a long post longer, IMHO, Don't worry about that small amount of rust. If everything else looks good and the price is right, go for it.
I noticed you have a picture of a Husky for your avatar, do you have a dog and if so does he get in the back when he's wet? The reason I ask is because I bought my Envoy from a guy who had a dog and would let him get in the back seat area. You couldn't imagine the stuff I found under the seats from dog hair to sand to glitter and confetti (?). BTW, my bolts for the rear seats are rusty also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts