Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering what additives everyone uses in their tank for cleaning the injectors. I am especially interested in what people who have tried more than one manufacturer's additive think works the best.

Also, one more question: if I use my old standby, the Chevron Techron super concentrate additive, it is available in a bottle that is for treating up to 10 gallons, and another that is for treating up to 20 gallons. What do you guys do for our trucks' 25 gallons when using the Techron additive?

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
Chevron Techron and, if I had a 25 gallon tank, I'd use one bottle of each size or the 20 gallon size @ 3/4 tank.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Always have and always will, however in my experience (other non-TrailVoy GM vehicles), even using top tier gas, injectors and intake valves do eventually get gummed up.
Ok, I have only been home for a couple of hours and am somewhat new to the autofield. I bought my first car at 16 and it was a 1950 ford. I have had to dissembled a few hundred carburetors and clean same, over the years but I have never had an injector go bad to gumming up. Tectron fuel treatement is by far the best on the market, if you need it. A lot of people use products because they think that that product will help their problem, maybe. There are a couple of companies that will pressure clean injectors for a fee, worth it, I am not sure. But the question was what do you think he should use to clean the injectors and valves and you did not answer his question, you only said my answer was lacking. Would you please answer the question so he can come to a an intellegent answer. :D

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
211 Posts
The GM Dealer sells a fuel system cleaner... funny thing about it though is that on the bottom of the bottle it has the "chevron" logo. It is small and hard to notice. The dealer in Naperville charged me $36 for a bottle of it. The Bottle of techron fuel system cleaner is maybe $10. Same exact bottle... (different label) is it the same stuff? If so why does GM sell it for $36? I also did notice a difference after adding it, I have probably bought 4 bottles of GM fuel system cleaner for 3 Diff cars. It works really well. I recommend it. Just go to your local dealer's parts dept. and they should have it. Still I wonder if it is the exact same stuff as chevron's techron fuel cleaner...???

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
The GM Dealer sells a fuel system cleaner... funny thing about it though is that on the bottom of the bottle it has the "chevron" logo. It is small and hard to notice. The dealer in Naperville charged me $36 for a bottle of it. The Bottle of techron fuel system cleaner is maybe $10. Same exact bottle... (different label) is it the same stuff?
It is the same stuff. Back in in the 1998-2001 era, when I was still wrenching in the dealer, GM actually just put a paper label over the Techron bottle. Peel the label off and it looked like any bottle of Techron you'd buy at the parts store. When the bottle changed to the current design in 2001ish, they started screening their own labels on the bottle. The part number never changed though.

Personally, I am a fan of Redline SI-1. Techron is a close second. If I couldn't find SI-1 (my local Pep Boys carries it), I wouldn't feel bad about dumping in a bottle of Techron at all.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Regane by Gumout is purported to be good, rivaling Techron...

With that being said, I only buy the concentrated bottle of Techron at Autozone or Walmart and run it through about 2x between oil changes.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The GM Dealer sells a fuel system cleaner... funny thing about it though is that on the bottom of the bottle it has the "chevron" logo. It is small and hard to notice. The dealer in Naperville charged me $36 for a bottle of it. The Bottle of techron fuel system cleaner is maybe $10. Same exact bottle... (different label) is it the same stuff? If so why does GM sell it for $36? I also did notice a difference after adding it, I have probably bought 4 bottles of GM fuel system cleaner for 3 Diff cars. It works really well. I recommend it. Just go to your local dealer's parts dept. and they should have it. Still I wonder if it is the exact same stuff as chevron's techron fuel cleaner...???

Because there are people who will pay that price.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
290 Posts
Based on my completely unscientific testing...

BG 44K (get it on eBay and save some $) or Chevron Techron.

I used 44K in our 2001 CR-V which had never seen any fuel injector cleaner or top-tier gas in much of its 82k mile life and the result was a smoother idle and a less "gritty" sounding engine (if that makes sense).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
4 Posts
Based on my completely unscientific testing...

BG 44K (get it on eBay and save some $) or Chevron Techron.

I used 44K in our 2001 CR-V which had never seen any fuel injector cleaner or top-tier gas in much of its 82k mile life and the result was a smoother idle and a less "gritty" sounding engine (if that makes sense).
Second on the BG 44 it is expensive but man it is worth it. if not 44 Chevron Techron.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
815 Posts
I used Slick50 fuel treatment, really I never noticed a difference between this product and techron... oh and usually when adding this product I either double on the bottles or cut the fillup in half... whichever method I remember first happens... :D :crackup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used Slick50 fuel treatment, really I never noticed a difference between this product and techron... oh and usually when adding this product I either double on the bottles or cut the fillup in half... whichever method I remember first happens... :D :crackup:

I remember the good ol' days, when you could buy the Slick 50 fuel system formula (in a cool aluminum bottle too) apart from any supposed friction reducing oil additives...great stuff (the fuel system formula, that is!). A buddy who was a Toyota mechanic showed me the guts of a Land Cruiser engine which was torn apart for a rebuild, whose owner swore by Slick 50, and there was, well, funny buildups in many oil passages of something that sure looked like Molybnedium ;)

I think it is impossible to buy the one without the other nowadays...:crazy:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, I ran 32 gallons worth of Techron super conentrate through the truck for the first time since we owned it, and my low end takeoff (getting the truck moving without mashing the gas down very far) has improved considerably :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts