Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
extended piston more than should have. tore rubber boot, fluid leaking. must replace caliper. question is would i have to bleed fluid. what is the procedure on replacing caliper. I have a 2006 chevy trailblazer ss . All this happend due to changing front brakes. first time what a bummer ! any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,513 Posts
extended piston more than should have. tore rubber boot, fluid leaking. must replace caliper. question is would i have to bleed fluid. what is the procedure on replacing caliper. I have a 2006 chevy trailblazer ss . All this happend due to changing front brakes. first time what a bummer ! any advice appreciated.
Well, some are shipped with fluid and most without.
You will probably need to bleed. Not a tough job, but you need to pay attention. I would search the site, or the web for a proper write up
:m2:

BTW, you should not extend the piston at all.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
214 Posts
Like RayVoy said. I would bleed the brakes (that one) either way once the caliper is replaced.

Usually you would be compressing the piston to fit the new brake pads in to it and slide over the rotor. Unless someone pressed the brake pedal on you before it was put onto a rotor or spacer?

I personally haven't seen them come "pre-filled". Make sure to use same brake fluid as is in the brake system (probably DOT3, but make sure!)

What I would do(preferably with help):
Put a catch pan under wheel that needs bleeding.
Check brake fluid level if not already checked.
Top off if needed. Better to have too much in the master then not enough when bleeding.
Have someone in the driver seat.
Open bleeder screw.
Press brake pedal to the floor and hold! Whatever you do do not let up.
Close bleeder screw. Make sure it is closed but not over tightened.
Let brake pedal up.
Repeat until no bubbles come out but make sure to check the master cylinder periodically and before test driving.

If you absolutely have nobody to help, you can gravity bleed:
Put a catch pan under wheel that needs bleeding.
Check brake fluid level if not already checked.
Top off if needed. Better to have too much in the master then not enough when bleeding.
With the bleeder screw closed, pump the pedal until hard
open bleeder screw for a few seconds. You should get bubbles.
Close bleeder screw.
Repeat until bubbles stop coming out. Again make sure to check the master cylinder for fluid level.

If it empties, this is very bad and may require a full brake system bleed. This means air got into the brake system. It would feel like there is no brakes, pedal may go to the floor or feel very mushy.

Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
41 Posts
Added Precaution

Get a piece of rubber brake hose that will fit over the bleeder and run it into a clear container (bottle) with some brake fluid in it so air is not pulled back in to the system. This will save hours of fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.