Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
5,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found this today on the OnStar website as I was renewing my subscription. It is only available on 09 and newer vehicles.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/svs.jsp

Seems like a feature that insurance companies would give discounts for :yes:

Also, while renewing my subscription, they advised me that I may be eligible for a discount just for having my OnStar active, I haven't had a chance to call my insurance company yet, but I plan to first thing next week.

Has anyone gotten any discounts for their OnStar?

Also, did you know that there is a trick for new vehicle owners that are coming off of their free year onto a paid subscription? I got $213 down to $148 plus two free months and my cellular minutes rolled over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd be interested to hear of experiences using this service. I've been a copper for 7 years and in those 7 years, have only heard one dispatched call involving Onstar requesting us to locate a vehicle.

Watching the video, it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through, and will still lead to a dumped/crashed/out of gas stolen auto with no one in custody.

We recently switched to a computer based Incident reporting system, and even with computer based reporting I would guess that there would be a good 4-8 hour lag time from the time of steal to the time that Onstar could "verify" it as a stolen auto.

Just seems like another "sales pitch" for Onstar IMO.....

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
hopefully they learn to intergrate the onstar box a bit better so you a thief cant just rip it out first... if they do that, this would be an excellent service available to people. not just for their own property, but for the innocent bystanders that happen to become involved...

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
274 Posts
When I worked for a trucking company we recoverd many stolen trailers with GPS technolgy. I am a big supprter of this.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts
My insurance company gives discounts for active OnStar:woohoo:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
59 Posts
I'd be interested to hear of experiences using this service. I've been a copper for 7 years and in those 7 years, have only heard one dispatched call involving Onstar requesting us to locate a vehicle.
:tiphat On the other side of the radio, being a spatcher, I think Onstar is great.

I have only taken 2 calls from onstar regarding a vehicle being in an accident but recently there have been several incidents where somebody would stumble upon a car crash and all occupants being unconcious. When onstar calls us they tell us if they made contact, where the vehicle was hit, airbag deployment and coordinates (or detailed instructions on how to find the vehicle). There is another sneaky thing onstar does most people dont know about. Onstar can get reports on how fast you were going, acceleration, braking, seat belts even the side of the road you were on just prior to the crash. For you government conspiracy theorists :suicide: they have to get the onstar box out of your trailvoy for this.

The stolen vehicle feature is a little less useful, it takes about 4-5 hours from the time you call us to the time we actually can call onstar to "track" your trailvoy.

I'm gonna have to call my insurance about the discount :undecided it makes sense that they should

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
111 Posts
I just picked up a preowned envoy so I didn't get the free year, but i did talk them down to 12.99 a month. My insurance said that once i show them paperwork proving my onstar subsccription my premium will drop about $110 a year. So all in all my onstar after is only going to cost me $45 a year. My agent said the discount has as much to do with the theft recover as it dose for accidents. She said if i go off the road and hit a tree at 2 in the morning medical cost are much lower when EMS finds me in 5 minutes compared to me lieing there bleeding all night until someone passes buy.

Also why does it take so long to track a stolen vehicle. When I had my Silverado I miss placed it after a long night of drinking in NYC and we couldn't remember what lot we left it in. I called onstar and they were able to tell me what streets i was parked on within minutes. Whats the difference between that and tracking it when moving???

·
Registered
7 Posts
GMAC Repo-Man and Onstar

Seems like a natural tool for the GMAC repo team to have in their bag. Even if you don't pay for the service, they always have a key.

·
Registered
2008 chevy
27 Posts
My insurance company gives me a discount. Also, somewhere on the On Star site you can see which vehicles have the slow down. Some of the 08's got it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
916 Posts
My '05 has Onstar. Unfortunately, the service isn't available here in the Middle East. I guess it's just a North America offering. Once I get back to the US, I'll probably activate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts