Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been a happy owner of an 05 trailblazer for a few months now, and I played with the free 3 month trial of onstar and was mostly just amused at it. Never really used it, except for a few times when I had no cell service on my handheld, but the stong transmitter in the onstar unit got signal.

After doing a bunch of research on how the onstar unit works, I've discovered it's basically just a cell module on the Verizon network.. with it's ESN number printer on the side of the module.

So I've come to think, well, if it's just a verizon cellphone at heart, why can't I just rip it off onstar's network and set up a verizon prepaid plan for it?

Going to verizon's website, it tells me that I cant activate that ESN. So on with more research. Stumbled across http://www.uglyeric.com that does activations for Page Plus Cellular, who say they can activate any verizon cell on their network. $6 and a few hours later, I get an email telling me the activation is complete and they give me a phone number for it.

Supprised, out to the TB I go, activation instructions in hand. Went through the digit dial menu and did "star key, 22890" which does an over the air programming for the onboard cell module, and now low and behold when I request "My number" from the onstar prompt, it gives me the new number!

So far so good!
Here's where the problem comes in...
In order to activate the account, you need to place an outgoing call, on attempting to do so, it whines that you have no units left.
So I tried digit dial "611" which is a airtime free call, that works, and gets me to their activation message. HOWEVER, now I need to dial a "1" to confirm english message option, and after that it should be fully operational!

For the life of me, I cannon figure out how to make it dial a "1". I only have the 3 button's on the mirror, not the steering wheel mute button as some other vehicles have, so I cant interupt a call and do another digit dial.

I've tried a few Tone Generators with no success so far, but I'm going to poke at it some more before I give up.

Do any TB owners have the steering wheel mute button? If so, do you have a part number, or where the wires go? Maybe I can add one?

Also, I did a full teardown of the onstar module and took pics, and will get them online soon if anyone's interested.

edit --
heres the pics -- http://picasaweb.google.com/reddog176/Onstar?feat=directlink

--Reddog--

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Did you try asking the radio to dial "1".

You know, until GM ran into money problems, the cell-phone part of Onstar could be added to your Verizon (in my case Bell) mobility account as a 2nd number.

Alas, it appears that GM/Onstar have removed that feature.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
For the life of me, I cannon figure out how to make it dial a "1". I only have the 3 button's on the mirror, not the steering wheel mute button as some other vehicles have, so I cant interupt a call and do another digit dial.
I thought all the Onstar vehicles had the little face icon button on the steering wheel to initiate a call. Must be wrong.

Here's a thread about somebody who fakes a steering wheel button:
http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16951&p=153753

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, well I've made some progress.

Seems I was originally a bit off on where I thought the onstar mic was, I figured it was centered in the top console, when it's really offset to the drivers side.

Got my cellphone up real close to the mic and hit "1" and it accepted it.
So now the service is active, however, onstar still reports 0 units available to call out with.

Now if I dial out 611 (airtime free call), I do get the prepaid "you have this much credit remaining, and it expires in 120 days" message.

Also, if I try to call my onstar phone number, it rings about 4 times then the line just goes dead...

So I'm father ahead than I was before.. Maybe I can see if I can find an airtime free number I can use as a launchpad to dial out from.

-Reddog-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have google voice, but as it wont currently dial out, except for airtime free calls.. i.e. 611, or receive calls that wont help.

Currently I'm trying to figure out how to fool the onstar unit into thinking I have airtime minutes.

I believe it's hardware hacking time.

-Reddog-

·
Registered
2008 gmc other
1 Posts
I joined this forum just to talk to you. I have been scouring the net for a while now looking for info on this (using the onstar phone with a regular carrier) and it appears you sir have gone farther than anyone that I have found. (I get so annoyed by people who just say "it's impossible" because some script reading kid at a call center told them so). Anyway, I was going to pull the VCIM from my 2008 GM LTZ2500HD and start poking at it when I saw your post here. Excellent progress my friend. Excellent pictures. (JTAG! When all else fails heh heh!) But first before I throw days of my time at this, I am wondering if you got any farther since you posted here over a year ago?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
59 Posts
Anyone here tried looking on Howard Forums? Those guys know cellphones. Keep us posted-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, I have not. I've been too busy with other projects, and that got pushed to a back burner. Hopefully some day I'll get back around to it. But at least it may give someone else a jumping off point.

Reddog176

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.