Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy envoy_denali_xl
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New member here.

I've developed a widget for my cadillac which interfaces the onstar microphone and mirror keypad to a motorola bluetooth kit and was wondering if it would be of any interest to you guys.

It works with Class 2 data communications to mute the radio when a call comes in. It also switches the amplifier so that audio from the car kit can be sent to your stereo speakers.

It's not quite ready yet for direct installation into an envoy/trailblazer. I'm just getting a feel for interest and maybe looking for a few beta testers.

One thing to note is that once installed, onstar is no longer functional. In my case, the onstar was analog based and went obsolete anyway at the beginning of the year.

I have a neighbor with a trailblazer ext and the onstar module is located under the rear seat. By pulling the two onstar connectors out and plugging them into my unit, it's about a two minute install job. No tools required, and no wires to cut or run. And it's easy to go back to onstar if needed.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Heck Yea! - My Onstar box is currently useless, as was also Analog. They did offer a fairly cheap upgrade to Digital, but required an Onstar commitment at $17 or $18 a month. Having the ability to tap into the phone would be great, as many of the new phones support voice dialing and voice commands out of the box.

Any idea what the cost would be? (Even a ball-park number would be great).

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
34 Posts
I might be willing to beta test. Will it work with an aftermarket radio as long as you have the proper adapter?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heck Yea! - My Onstar box is currently useless, as was also Analog. They did offer a fairly cheap upgrade to Digital, but required an Onstar commitment at $17 or $18 a month. Having the ability to tap into the phone would be great, as many of the new phones support voice dialing and voice commands out of the box.

Any idea what the cost would be? (Even a ball-park number would be great).
Wow, they would not convert my cadi, but it is a 2001 model.

Not 100% sure of the price yet, but my kit will definitely be under $200, plus the motorola kit (it interfaces to an HF850) which you can get for about $100. So total cost < $300. A little less then a year subscription with onstar when you add the $18 for onstar and $10 for verizon. Plus you get to use only the one phone number. I have a moto cell phone with voice dialing and it works great in my car. The microphone from onstar is excellent. I've been told it sounds better than using the cell phone directly!

And it will work with an aftermarket radio as long as when you press the onstar button you can hear Lisa Davis doing her thing.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
34 Posts
Count me in as a beta tester or first in line to purchase. Sounds like a great idea. Get me more details.

:tiphat

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
I'd be interested to test or buy also. Been looking for something of that sort since I purchased my TB in May 08. Don't care for On-Star.

Thanks,

Tino

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW !!! :eek: Lots of interest.

For those looking for more info, here is where it all started in the cadillac forums.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/143407-onstar-bluetooth-conversion-completed.html

The kit for the TrailBlazers and Envoys (as well as other GM vehicles) will directly replace an onstar unit that looks like this..

This is a picture of my neighbors onstar from a 2005 Trailblazer EXT (Under a cover beneath passenger rear seat). I assume they are all the same? If anybody's is different post a pic.

The unit for the cadi had a proprietary cable so I redid the design to be more generic. The new units should be available in 3-4 weeks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That should work fine. I only connect to the two white connectors anyway.
Was the black connector connected in your car?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
75 Posts
I'm 100% for this, and if you need another beta tester, let me know... I've been lookin for somethin like this since I got my TB...

·
Registered
40 Posts
OK, Here's the story.

I've completed testing and I'm having 25 units built up.

I've posted them on my website as available for pre-purchase. I expect them to be ready by mid September. They will be available on a first come first serve basis until I see how many people are really interested.

The new model BlueSTAR-PnP which will be a plug and play for the Trailblazers and Envoys as discussed above is what you guys should look at.

The current photo on the site is not yet representative of the new board, but it will be similar except a little taller to handle the white onstar connector.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 165 Posts